Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
You honestly think Russia would just accept that and cower away? Whilst I don’t doubt that would be NATO’s response, it wouldn’t end there. Russia would at minimum tactical nuke military bases in Eastern Europe and it would escalate dangerously from there.

It may be that China help the Durma pop-off Putin (ie support conventional arms but withdraw support nuclear support). I can't see China wanting tales of "whoops apocalypseski" and "Dr Strangeloveski" in the national curriculum. Russia need China and if China feel locked into a scenario (ie nuclear and no option to support or face nuclear on their own border) that the pressure on the Duma will build.

Putin wants a war. Period. I'm unsure if China want that.. unless it's on their own terms.

Last edited:
Putin wants a war. Period. I'm unsure if China want that.. unless it's on their own terms.

I get the impression China thought it would be over one way or another in a matter of weeks - although that is a little at odds with supposed leaks from Russian officials that China would move on Taiwan around the end of 2022 while the West was distracted by the war.

To be honest, though you never know with Russia, if Ukraine had the capability to hit them where they are parked up they'd probably start putting them in hardened shelters - though they've been slow learning that lesson in the past and these strategic bombers aren't easily replaced - hence why like 60+ year old ones are still flying.

I get the impression China thought it would be over one way or another in a matter of weeks - although that is a little at odds with supposed leaks from Russian officials that China would move on Taiwan around the end of 2022 while the West was distracted by the war.
Xi has set a deadline himself by 2024 of taking back Taiwan either by peaceful means or by force

Thought quotes before were 2027
My mistake it wasn't 2024, but "in 4 years" back in 2021 so by 2025 he wants Taiwan back under Chinese rule

Last edited:
It's really fortunate that we have all these declassified documents showing that we did in fact promise the Russians not to expand Eastwards when they handed over East Germany.

It seems that we didn't actually adhere to what we promised them, and even when they didn't kick up too much of a fuss about all the Baltic states, the US insisted on interfering in Ukraine - which they explicitly made clear was a red line, so here we are.
do you know why this 'no move east' comment was made? obviously not because you wouldn't be quoting it as a de facto promise

it was made to Gorbachev prior to German reunification. the reason it was made was because at that time east Germany was home to the GSFG (group of soviet forces German) a fair chunk of the Warsaw Pact's amour, airframes, men, etc.

and the 'no move eastwards' promise was made with the intent of preventing the possibility, however small, of a low-level conflict between NATO forces and WP forces

Last edited:
More ridiculous rhetoric from drunk Uncle Medvedev who needs to sit down and shut up. The moment Russia deploy a tactical nuclear missile in Ukraine it's over for Russia. They will be wiped from the map in Ukraine, black sea fleet sunk and pushed back to their borders and China will wash their hands of the whole sordid affair, or maybe they wont? but either way Russia will cease to exist as the nation it once was.

It's very difficult to take any threat seriously from a man that for the past 2 years had rolled out this tired line again and again. Now is the time to make a stand, for everyone's sake.
RE: China - I think there a re couple of perspectives.
1. China clearly is no fan of the western domination and has plans to usurp the US and West as the greatest power and in that sense the fact that Putin has created such a distraction is useful for them. It takes focus from them while they sort out their economy and address some of the technological weaknesses / prepare to take Taiwan back.
2. The fall of Russia would put them is a huge position of regional power. They could benefit from a population boost which they need as their birthrate is not enough to sustain their economy. It would also open the door to even more influence in the 'stans and Caucasus which represent a gateway to Europe and the middle east.

I don't think they lose either way. Probably ideally Putin drags this out for another 12 months and then Russia implodes, needs a complete bail out and Xi names his price. Using nukes would close that one lifeline they may have when/if it all falls over.

Gonzalo Lira for some reason was let out on bail in Ukraine

He then proceeded to post on Twitter that he's going to try and escape Ukraine and claim asylum in Hungary

Too bad for him, he's been arrested before he could cross the border

Gonzalo was living in Kharkiv, so why is it he wanted to flee to Hungary when he could just cross into Russia, the Russian border is right there... why is it that all these Western pro putin ******** do everything in their power to avoid living in Russia. McGregor, Gonzalo, Roar, Scott Ritter, Zoka, Geroman, Tucker Carlson - none of them want to go live in Russia, they run away at every opportunity

Last edited:
More ridiculous rhetoric from drunk Uncle Medvedev who needs to sit down and shut up. The moment Russia deploy a tactical nuclear missile in Ukraine it's over for Russia. They will be wiped from the map in Ukraine, black sea fleet sunk and pushed back to their borders and China will wash their hands of the whole sordid affair, or maybe they wont? but either way Russia will cease to exist as the nation it once was.

It's very difficult to take any threat seriously from a man that for the past 2 years had rolled out this tired line again and again. Now is the time to make a stand, for everyone's sake.

They love to get this drum out and bang it every few months. Its such an empty threat. The top military and oligarchs all want to spend their ill gotten gains at their properties abroad in the future and living in a radioactive wasteland with their families isn't up there on their list of things to do.

I don't think Russia or China expected the Western response to this and I would think that gave China a huge headache to deal with. If they thought they could take Taiwan and all they'd have to deal with is sanctions I could have seen them trying it. Thankfully our leaders grew a backbone and the WH had someone in it again who gave a **** about its allies.

I don't think Russia or China expected the Western response to this and I would think that gave China a huge headache to deal with. If they thought they could take Taiwan and all they'd have to deal with is sanctions I could have seen them trying it. Thankfully our leaders grew a backbone and the WH had someone in it again who gave a **** about its allies.
I take it Taiwan not part of Nato

Last edited:
If we don't honour the spirit of it, it makes it harder for us to negotiate future pacts, whether anyone cares about that or not is another matter but I'd rather be seen standing up to our obligations, even something with a lot of vagueness like this, than walking away.

It is quite clear what the intention was of the Budapest and Helsinki agreements.

Absolutely agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom