Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Russia is starting to widen conscription into the more affluent areas, wonder how that will go down, I don't expect it'll produce much push back though.

Ukraine is enforcing the Black Sea blockade well

Russia can't say it wasn't warned. When Russia pulled out the deal and threatened commercial ships, Ukraine warned Russiabthat any Russian flagged vessels in the black sea would be considered military targets to be destroyed

This was likely just a target of opportunity, not a specific targeted strike. I am pretty sure this waterway is defacto closed to commercial shipping, therefore this ship is likely being used at the behest of Russian government. Whilst you could probably argue it was a "valid" target, I dont feel this was a good move. I mean Russia havnt to my knowledge physically upheld any grain blockade in anything more than threat. Though I think that owes more to the fact that Russia cant safely operate large ships in the NW Black sea. This may push Russia to possibly try strike at Civilian Grain ships in a kneejerk reaction.

Last edited:
They can only do if these ships are in Ukrainian waters or have evidence they have departed Ukrainian ports.

They can't just take out civilian ships without some kind of just cause.

By the accounts I've seen this ship was carrying some weapons on it's return journey, nor sure in what volume, but if so it's even more of a valid target.

Russia might not have actually upheld any blockade yet since they left the grain deal, but have been pretty threatening and have destroyed grain and grain infrastructure on land since they left the grain deal.

Oil exports help Russia continue the war and prop up their interests abroad, so I can see why it might be desirable for Ukraine to threaten those export routes.

Russia started this game by targeting grain infrastructure, and before that by blockading ports.

Last edited:
This was likely just a target of opportunity, not a specific targeted strike. I am pretty sure this waterway is defacto closed to commercial shipping, therefore this ship is likely being used at the behest of Russian government. Whilst you could probably argue it was a "valid" target, I dont feel this was a good move. I mean Russia havnt to my knowledge physically upheld any grain blockade in anything more than threat. Though I think that owes more to the fact that Russia cant safely operate large ships in the NW Black sea. This may push Russia to possibly try strike at Civilian Grain ships in a kneejerk reaction.
As I understand it Russia has been targeting Ukrainian grain and facilities in Odessa repeatedly the last month or so. And in turn promising the poorest African countries free grain in a few months, transport costs and all.

What a wonderful giving nation they are with no thoughts for themselves in doing this!

What sort of damage do these drones cause, do they just breach the hull?
I see they aimed the drone towards the bridge, I mean these are civilians on the ship.

Russia issued a warning when they left the grain deal, any ships bound to/from Ukrainian ports would be treated as targets of war.

Ukraine issued the same warning shortly afterwards in reverse, when it was clear that the grain deal would not continue.

Any ships, civilian or otherwise, who risks these ports, is making themselves a valid target of war in the eyes of both nations.

Not applauding this or anything but have to see where the logic and reason is coming from, and being a civilian vessel would not stop Russia were the shoe on the other foot.

What sort of damage do these drones cause, do they just breach the hull?
I see they aimed the drone towards the bridge, I mean these are civilians on the ship.

Germany sank an awful lot of merchant shipping in WWII and they were crewed by civilians.

not derailing this thread. If ship owners send ships into disputed waters under the flag of an invader, they must expect some feedback.

Interesting evolution of attacking revenue sources. Makes sense but can imagine that it will escalate things for both sides as Ukraine needs to keep an economy going and Russia needs to fund itself in light of all other sanctions.

Let's see what this does to the energy markets by end of year. Commodities in general will probably gain more traction again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom