Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats my thoughts too. These craft are so small, the navy can't just blow anything up in the water with a similar small footprint (imagine the 100s of false positives something like that would create)
Won't be too long before we're utilising AI in our radar systems in order to see through all the clutter and PID these drones.

Last edited:
Well if Belarus are letting missiles be fired from its territory surely that makes them fair game for retaliation.
Yeh it does change things a tad, as in what will happen next.

Will the West etc not wish to "escalate" by firing into Belarus with Western provided arms as has been the case with Russia etc.

Whilst I support Ukraines use of these in the Black Sea, the US and UK navy must be absolutely spinning themselves over the future of naval warfare. How do you protect an aircraft carrier from something as small as these things?

Ukraine might be the first with these drones, but they wont be the last.

Type 45, the new frigates and AB class can detect sea-skimming objects with a signature as small as a tennis ball at supersonic speeds - hitting them might be a bit harder.

Last edited:
I was wondering what was going on in this area.

5ed1d95a01b625f0.png

Looks like a 2nd bridgehead over the Dnipro and one over the Konka river as well.

Last edited:
I expect they are extremely difficult to hit at all or there would be sinking ships all over the place. They probably have limited time and choice and hit the nearest important bit of the ship they can before the drone gets destroyed

The area to search is pretty vast. One of the attacks was around 300km away. That’s pretty impressive distance to make an attack.

I would suspect the US probably already has defenses against these sort of things after having a destroyer severely damaged in the gulf by a speedboat loaded with explosives, though this occurred in port, so realistically there's not much you can do against a terrorist attack. On the open sea though I think they are likely to have much better systems for identifying targets and then destroying them compared to the Russians.

Aye the point defence guns for missiles will almost certainly do it very nicely if paired with a sufficently good radar and control system, and I suspect that's something they'll have been upgrading their ship born AWAC's and anti submarine systems to deal with as it's pretty much just a new type of small boat/surface skimming missile as far as radar is concerned (I suspect these small drones won't be very effective in the sort of weather that would make radar hard work).

As you say the Americans have been aware of the threat from very small and high speed boats whilst in harbour etc since that destroyer.

Last edited:
I presume a similar way to protecting against things like surface skimming missiles.

I.e. with a proper system and not some Russian made up BS which sounds superior to Western tech but in reality doesn't exist.
Yea but how long will it take to develop a drone that stays below the surface and detonates well below the see line.

Drone warfare has changed the way wars will be waged forever.

Only tethered because radio doesn't work well underwater, they would need to be AI controlled to be successful unless some new underwater comms tech is invented
I was wondering if something that operates JUST under the water, with only an aerial exposed would work. More stealthy and harder to spot than a done boat.

Yea but how long will it take to develop a drone that stays below the surface and detonates well below the see line.

Drone warfare has changed the way wars will be waged forever.
I believe there are sea mines that do that, some sort of acoustic trigger in shallow water etc
But limpet mines by under water jet skies WW2 style? Now that Putins Dolphins have done a runner lol

I was wondering if something that operates JUST under the water, with only an aerial exposed would work. More stealthy and harder to spot than a done boat.
I don't know much about sailing and submersibles but I think if that was an efficient way to do it, it would already be done as it seems simple in practice ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom