Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not everyone wants to die for their country it seems.
I'm continually impressed by Zelenskyy's steadfast commitment to anti-corruption even through such difficult times.

I'm not surprised though, especially those in privileged positions will always strive to avoid real hardship and situations of hardship and risk.
I can only imagine how pathetic and embarrassing it would be if Britain were put in a similar position. I genuinely feel the amount of people that would try to avoid military conscription by all means would pale in comparison.

Last edited:
I'm continually impressed by Zelenskyy's steadfast commitment to anti-corruption even through such difficult times.

I'm not surprised though, especially those in privileged positions will always strive to avoid real hardship and situations of hardship and risk.
I can only imagine how pathetic and embarrassing it would be if Britain were put in a similar position. I genuinely feel the amount of people that would try to avoid military conscription by all means would pale in comparison.
Can't see there ever again being conscription in this country. If we get attacked then it quickly escalates to nuclear and everybody dies. That's the whole point of having nukes, I think.

And if there's conscription to go and fight in some overseas conventional war, then damn straight most are avoiding the draft. If you are a professional soldier and get sent overseas then that's what you signed up for. But outside of professional soldiers, I don't think many people in this country would be prepared to go fight abroad for any UK govt. You're right - many would tell them to stick it ;) I know I would.

Last edited:
Can't see there ever again being conscription in this country. If we get attacked then it quickly escalates to nuclear and everybody dies. That's the whole point of having nukes, I think.
Never say never! The next couple of decades at least will be increasingly volatile. We need to be comfortable with the new normal of unrest and instability. A perpertual state of proxy conflicts and state actor influenced regional instabilities will be the norm. Conscription whilst not currently needed may not be a constant.

You may be right, but I'm also optimistic that our opinions are swayed by a particularly noisy feckless minority. When it comes to it, the silent majorly would rise to the occasion.

That's what I was getting at. "Everybody dies" - i.e. there are no winners. Aka deterrence.
Sadly nukes arnt the only answer. I think what has been proven is that Having nukes is a get out of jail card to wreak havoc on the world stage with no real answer. China will see this and USA will learn from it. In a strange way its almost had the opposite effect it was intended to have...

Sadly nukes arnt the only answer. I think what has been proven is that Having nukes is a get out of jail card to wreak havoc on the world stage with no real answer. China will see this and USA will learn from it. In a strange way its almost had the opposite effect it was intended to have...
It was intended to stop nuclear armed countries from being attacked. It's done that, so far.

Those countries without nukes and not part of credible defensive pacts... yeah, they aren't doing so well.

I hope you are right! Maybe I just have a rather jaded and pessimistic viewpoint.
A general population that can't be mobilised to go off and fight in some far-away war isn't a bad thing.

I largely hope that younger generations all around the globe are increasingly pacifist. OK that might not apply to China... but even their general (civvy) population probably isn't thrilled by the prospect of taking up arms, and fighting for the party.

Plus we all know about the absolute horrors of war, and have seen it on our screens, and it's just not appealing.

Maybe the pacifists get their arse kicked by the warmongers, but it doesn't make the pacifist the bad guys, ultimately. Just means we're a pathetic species that never learns.

There's a difference between having to go off and fight in a foreign country, and defending your own country from invasion IMO.
Sure, plenty would run away, but quite a number would stand and fight too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom