Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting video from CNN showing Ukraine is able to use Thermal imaging camera's on drones to locate landmines

So it turns out land mines work like storage heaters in as much as when it's hot and sunny they absorb the heat from the surrounding earth and in the evening when it's colder the landmines retain the heat as the earth around them cools down allowing them to be detected by thermal imaging.

That's why challenger 2'a haven't been seen until now

Ukraine has sent in its 82nd brigade, which has been waiting in reserve and this brigade is equipped with the challengers and also US Strykers so we now for the first time see both of these vehicles

Hopefully the first videos that come out featuring Challenger 2's are one where it's kicking commie backsides and not a stuck lump of metal with the tracks blown off.

Last edited:
They could have created a lot of jobs making them in the UK, as always though we never learn and we'll probably learn the hard way for only having enough for half the compliment of tanks
Bottom line is this war has taught the arms industry a lot. Drones are king now and the information they are getting is how to deal with them and how to protect armour from them.

These cages will be on all tanks now, I cant see they have a choice.

I would also assume they will have to buff the armour on top of the tanks as they cant afford any weak spots.

Last edited:
Would that cage help against a Lancet?
Possibly, the detonation will be on impact with the cage and take a lot of momentum away from the penetration power they have.

its a nano second but it should be in thousands of pieces spread over the entire tank rather than one penetrating spot.

I would also assume they will have to buff the armour on top of the tanks as they cant afford any weak spots.
The old idea of surviving a direct shot from an opposing tank to the front seems obsolete.

You're more likely to be taken out by a mine, artillery or someone flying a cheap Chinese drone with a hand grenade duct taped onto it into your open hatch.

That's all the evidence we need of Russian stock piles running low, if they are firing missiles at Ukraine that were just manufactured instead of firing old stuff because the old stuff is gone

Been like that most of this year, since they started more frequent, though relatively low amount, of nightly attacks, where dateable the missile fragments/remains have more often than not been 2022 or 2023 parts. The slightly more interesting note is they seem to have scaled up monthly production to about double expected - whether that is from running more shifts or expanding/new facilities I don't know.

And while that sounds good, it's actually a vague statement because it doesn't state any actual goals for when support will stop and could mean that support can end at any time or it also could mean USA will continue to help Ukraine for the next 20 years (that doesn't mean 20 years of war but could be 20 years of nation building support to get them ready for joining the EU and NATO)
The west has already pledged billions to rebuild Ukraine, those billions mean contracts.

The west probably with the US being first in line will be awarded these contracts so they give with one hand but get it back in the other.

Nothing is free, Ukraine will survive but it will be in debt for a long time.

Now the cynic in me is saying the west knows this, they know Ukraine is no poor nation with the resources they have they are actually a very rich nation.

Russia right now is stealing those resources, they invaded for a reason, profit being that reason. They had no idea though that in the end its actually going to be the exact opposite and plunge Russia into bankruptcy.

The old idea of surviving a direct shot from an opposing tank to the front seems obsolete.

You're more likely to be taken out by a mine, artillery or someone flying a cheap Chinese drone with a hand grenade duct taped onto it into your open hatch.

Just waiting for a armoured vehicle “drone carrier” that launches drones and hands them out to operators by flying them to position.

That's why challenger 2'a haven't been seen until now

Ukraine has sent in its 82nd brigade, which has been waiting in reserve and this brigade is equipped with the challengers and also US Strykers so we now for the first time see both of these vehicles

82nd have been moving to forward positions and active in the frontline area for a few weeks now albeit not being used as frontline forces - I'm guessing being held back so as to plug gaps or thrust into a enemy weakness if found, etc., though the CR2s haven't been seen. I really hope they have adequate air cover and are provided with better artillery, even if artillery isn't their main role.

The article makes some good points though - there isn't much in the way of experience units left behind them now - if they do make gains at some point they are going to have to be rotated out for less strong national guard units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom