Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the wounded soldiers in the rubble are considered Hors de combat as are soldiers searching for survivors, they are not legitimate targets under the Geneva convention and "double taps" are war crimes when committed by either side, Russia used this tactic and it was also a war crime.

Well if this was the UK being invaded I'd want another round following that one. Ukraine didn't so maybe they are better than me.

Well if this was the UK being invaded I'd want another round following that one. Ukraine didn't so maybe they are better than me.

Typically in a war one side is going to be fighting defensively, that doesn't mean that the Geneva convention goes out of the window, even if that does seem to be the case for both sides here. When you start committing war crimes then the other side will also do the same thing, incase that needed pointing out, leading to your fellow countrymen being on the receiving end of barbarous treatment from the enemy.

When you start committing war crimes then the other side will also do the same thing, incase that needed pointing out, leading to your fellow countrymen being on the receiving end of barbarous treatment from the enemy.

While I wish people would stop acting like war crimes are okay if Ukraine do them, I don't think this argument really holds with Russia. They've already engaged in systematic rape and torture, and the mass kidnapping and deportation of Ukrainian children. They've used cluster bombs, fake surrendered, targetted hospitals, starved and tortured PoWs etc. etc. etc.

There's no sign of Russia holding back from any level of atrocity.

While I wish people would stop acting like war crimes are okay if Ukraine do them, I don't think this argument really holds with Russia. They've already engaged in systematic rape and torture, and the mass kidnapping and deportation of Ukrainian children. They've used cluster bombs, fake surrendered, targetted hospitals, starved and tortured PoWs etc. etc. etc.

There's no sign of Russia holding back from any level of atrocity.
Putin's already got his invite to the ICC. He's already all chips in on this war. Infringement of the Geneva Convention seems like a mere footnote to his case.

Typically in a war one side is going to be fighting defensively, that doesn't mean that the Geneva convention goes out of the window, even if that does seem to be the case for both sides here. When you start committing war crimes then the other side will also do the same thing, incase that needed pointing out, leading to your fellow countrymen being on the receiving end of barbarous treatment from the enemy.

Injured soldiers are pretty much always finished off in the heat of battle, you put a few more rounds in them to make sure they can't be a threat. Vehicles sent to collect injured troops are targeted. No shortage of footage of troops carrying injured away from the front being targeted, those new injured troops will cause further headache for the enemy. Geneva convention is there for good reason but this is war and no sides stick to it religiously when it comes to the heat of battle.

Injured soldiers are pretty much always finished off in the heat of battle, you put a few more rounds in them to make sure they can't be a threat. Vehicles sent to collect injured troops are targeted. No shortage of footage of troops carrying injured away from the front being targeted, those new injured troops will cause further headache for the enemy. Geneva convention is there for good reason but this is war and no sides stick to it religiously when it comes to the heat of battle.

You weren't talking about things happening "in the heat of battle" though. Also this historically isn't actually the case, the Brits and Germans in WW2 were actually pretty honourable towards each other, generally the Allies treated POWs with respect and the Germans did the same thing. This is why Germans deliberately surrendered to American and British forces and absolutely did not want to surrender to Russian forces. We're seeing similar now with how Russia and Ukraine are treating each other, I imagine Ukraine is behaving a little better given leaks of war crimes to Western media would give them bad PR, but both sides are realistically using torture and killing POWs. This is incidentally why we should look for a peaceful outcome rather than dragging this war out for countless years, so many young men will have been killed in horrific ways that the world will never know about.

The Ukrainians are conducting themselves honourably, but the same can’t be said for the Russians. The Ukraine is on the receiving end of barbarism.

What? I've re-read this post 10 times now and I still can't work out what it is you are trying to say.
I think it should be:

"Won't be long [until Ukraine get stronger] and [the double tap bombing? will] be happening in Moscow[.] Russia can keep poking the bear if they like. [On another note I eat kittens for supper and don't care who knows it] "

The Ukrainians are conducting themselves honourably, but the same can’t be said for the Russians. The Ukraine is on the receiving end of barbarism.
Ukraine are probably acting the way they are because western support would evaporate pretty quickly if they start going openly medieval. I have no doubt both sides are not exactly playing by the Queensbury rules, and it would be foolish to think otherwise.
Of course Ukraine are the 'good guys' in this one, so it's not very palatable to think what might be happening away from the cameras.

Yep countless hours of video of wounded men being rescued and drones dropping grenades on them.
I get why.
It's just ****ed.
It's 2 rabid ex Soviet dogs at each others throats just because ones been "free" for ten years it's still been raised to fight the same.

Maybe you're just bad at history but Ukraine was independent from when the USSR collapsed in 1991.

Yep countless hours of video of wounded men being rescued and drones dropping grenades on them.
I get why.
It's just ****ed.
It's 2 rabid ex Soviet dogs at each others throats just because ones been "free" for ten years it's still been raised to fight the same.
Glad to see your prime minister doesn't share your cowardly sentiments.

The additional Leopards, CV90s and Archers will help too. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom