Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand what a bigger army of men is going to do for us?

If it all kicks off between superpowers everyone will likely be incinerated anyway.

The less prepared we are, the more enticing it looks for the likes of Russia to even think about doing something, in that respect it has strong preventative value. This situation can go quite a few ways yet, if things did kick off in the Baltics for instance it doesn't necessarily mean things will escalate to nuclear war. As I see it though the longer term outlook is going to be more a return to the worst days of the Cold War with an uncertain security nightmare on the borders of Europe, which again we need a strong preventative value to put any notions of it going further to bed.

Nuclear weapons tend to disincentivize wholesale action but Russia might still gamble on some version of the so called salami slice tactics.

Last edited:
The less prepared we are, the more enticing it looks for the likes of Russia to even think about doing something
I think you also have the point where the less prepared we are the less options we have for escalation of force. If Nuclear weapons are the only option we have to defend ourselves we may find it more likely to have to use them.
We require a means and way of projecting force beyond our own borders in a meaningful way.
Whats the other option we cower away in a corner and hope trouble dosnt come knocking. Diplomacy and politics no longer seems to be effective as it once was. To back up diplomacy you must have a means to back up words if it goes wrong.

The less prepared we are, the more enticing it looks for the likes of Russia to even think about doing something, in that respect it has strong preventative value. This situation can go quite a few ways yet, if things did kick off in the Baltics for instance it doesn't necessarily mean things will escalate to nuclear war. As I see it though the longer term outlook is going to be more a return to the worst days of the Cold War with an uncertain security nightmare on the borders of Europe, which again we need a strong preventative value to put any notions of it going further to bed.

Nuclear weapons tend to disincentivize wholesale action but Russia might still gamble on some version of the so called salami slice tactics.
I think we are seeing a bit of that with Hungary. They are somewhat at risk of switching sides or at least coming away from NATO and EU.

But i don't understand what Russia can realistically do in conventional terms. Russia aren't even in the top 10 economies in the world any more, and their conventional forces both in numbers and equipment/technology is utterly laughable against NATO.

They are literally struggling against one Non-Nato Eastern European country and having to get ammunition from N Korea.

As long as NATO stays united, and China do not join in on the side of Russia in a large scale war, Russia have nothing. If it gets to the point where it is a full scale war between NATO and China, Russia and Iran or something, then i strongly suspect we are all completely ****** anyway so none of it will matter.

As mercenary as it is, having Turkey onside and in NATO is pretty advantageous.
I'm not sure that it's really the best forward looking practice to be cosying up to an authoritarian dictatorship who's occupying a European country in order to stick it to an authoritarian dictatorship who's occupying a European country, but then nothing the west did before 2022 really involved best forward looking practice :(

The less prepared we are, the more enticing it looks for the likes of Russia to even think about doing something.

Do what though? With no land link Russia has no option of walking across our border, so that means everything has to be done at range via air or sea.

Russia has already shown its "excellence" in both these scenarios, being unable to dominate the air in a country adjacent to it, and its navy has been sunk by a country with no navy.

I find it hard to believe Russia has the capacity to invade us by sea, it has serious logistical issues supporting an invasion force by land in a country adjacent to it let alone sea at distance.

Long range bombing isn't really a long term solution, they will just get shot down on route by either ourselves or another NATO member.

So realistically this leaves russia a couple of options, 1. Try and starve us out by some sort of sea blockade and cut our subsea cables, but Russia isn't able to keep this up as its ships will be sunk. 2. Fire missiles at us of which Russia seems to have limited numbers plus its factories will be targeted by NATO and be diminished over time.

3. Nuclear war, if so then it is what it is.

Last edited:
Hungary are living in the past. It's not the 18rh century no more /me checks watch.
They are a liability just like Turkey or whatever they call themselves, also think they are still bosses from the 19th century....
As do Russia..... Obviously...
Bunch of dicks

A lot of the technical and scientific expertise of the Soviet Union came out of Ukraine, people like Sergei Korolev and Valentin Glushko who designed the R7 rocket and it's engines that put Sputnik were both from Ukraine.
Indeed, in fact Ukrainian WW2 legend Leonid Brezhnev ruled the USSR far longer than any Russian ever did. Their accomplishments have been somewhat buried by "the history of the USSR as told by Russia" but Ukraine was arguably more important to the USSR than as an example Scotland is/has been to the UK.

I think we are seeing a bit of that with Hungary. They are somewhat at risk of switching sides or at least coming away from NATO and EU.

I think Hungary are looking to copy the bribe and benefit approach Turkey seems to get away with
Knowing a lot of Hungarians I think they would openly revolt if they saw their EU based progress slipping away with a view to align to Russian (old soviet) ways
The more rural parts probably not so much, like many places the cities evolve faster than the towns who evolve faster than the backwaters

not sure how "here you can spend your money in our country" is such a big carrot?
Turkey was barred from buying US kit because they bought S-400 SAMs instead of Patriots.

Something they have probably been regretting lol (in fairness the decision was caused by Trump wanting them to pay retail rates instead of discounted NATO rates).

Turkey was barred from buying US kit because they bought S-400 SAMs instead of Patriots.

I think that was never going to last: there's only so long you can refuse to sell weapons to your geopolitically important ally that's part of your mutual defensive pact. I don't think it's really a massive carrot to let them do that (not saying it doesn't have value, just that I don't think it's "such a big carrot").

Britain should probably be doing at least some basic citizen training. It doesn't need to be as complex as countries that do mandatory military service, that's also very expensive to do, but maybe having everyone who can do a couple classes or something, even if it's just something simple like basic battlefield first aid training and some shooting range training for those who want to do it. The first aid training in particular is very useful even if there is no war, it saves lives in peacetime when a large portion of your population can do first aid

Yes, britain a nation of chavs and immigrants trying to enforce military service on people who have no real allegiance to the country. Should be fun to watch them try and implement that. Over 14% of your entire country wasn't even born in the UK. :D

Do a bit of Swiss.. get everyone down the gun range every year (not sure we need people to own a gun as they could be distributed quickly). They can learn/recap the latest weapon in use.

Hahaha, I would subscribe to the YouTube channels to see this. Maybe the image of Britain presented to Europeans and World isn't exactly fair...but if 20% of it is true it should be amusing!

Couldn't make it up, it's okay though, we are supplying Ukraine with words and hugs and empty promises.

Yes let's ignore the 250,000,000,000 of support provided so far. Quarter of a trillion is just words I guess, inflation really is that strong!

But i don't understand what Russia can realistically do in conventional terms. Russia aren't even in the top 10 economies in the world any more, and their conventional forces both in numbers and equipment/technology is utterly laughable against NATO.

They are literally struggling against one Non-Nato Eastern European country and having to get ammunition from N Korea.

As long as NATO stays united, and China do not join in on the side of Russia in a large scale war, Russia have nothing. If it gets to the point where it is a full scale war between NATO and China, Russia and Iran or something, then i strongly suspect we are all completely ****** anyway so none of it will matter.

There is a difference between a war economy and a peacetime one - I could write loads on that but my entire premise really is not being too careless or depending too much on believing that Russia can't fix its situation. Especially if we ended up with a situation where the US had its hands full dealing with China albeit China seems to be walking back somewhat of late.

Do what though? With no land link Russia has no option of walking across our border, so that means everything has to be done at range via air or sea.

Russia has already shown its "excellence" in both these scenarios, being unable to dominate the air in a country adjacent to it, and its navy has been sunk by a country with no navy.

I find it hard to believe Russia has the capacity to invade us by sea, it has serious logistical issues supporting an invasion force by land in a country adjacent to it let alone sea at distance.

Long range bombing isn't really a long term solution, they will just get shot down on route by either ourselves or another NATO member.

So realistically this leaves russia a couple of options, 1. Try and starve us out by some sort of sea blockade and cut our subsea cables, but Russia isn't able to keep this up as its ships will be sunk. 2. Fire missiles at us of which Russia seems to have limited numbers plus its factories will be targeted by NATO and be diminished over time.

3. Nuclear war, if so then it is what it is.

Defending our country is one thing but not necessarily the only possibility in the future, while we have nukes it isn't a very likely one but still something we shouldn't leave unprepared given the consequences if it ever came to it, but also if Russia ever was in a position to blockade our country that would likely be a losing war for us eventually without an offensive campaign to regain the initiative.

There is a difference between a war economy and a peacetime one - I could write loads on that but my entire premise really is not being too careless or depending too much on believing that Russia can't fix its situation. Especially if we ended up with a situation where the US had its hands full dealing with China albeit China seems to be walking back somewhat of late.

But it isn't like the Russians even have the capability to churn out massive amounts of high tech advanced weaponry in hardly anytime. Even on war footing/a war economy, i just cant see a feasible way that they could make enough weapons and machinery to rival NATO's combined forces.

NATO have four times as many aircraft and sea vessels for a start.

I'm no expert, but I doubt it is that easy to start churning out F-35 equivalents in great numbers when you are the 11th largest economy in the world...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom