Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from a man who tried to cancel both of our aircraft carriers and continued chopping down our military.

What a cretin.
In fairness, if I recall correctly he wanted to have our aircraft carriers redesigned from STOVL (bargain basement) to CATOBAR (gold standard) however the programme was too far through at that point for a change of course.

All the other smoothebrain stuff like scrapping the Nimrod MRA4 program to save money, then remembering the UK is actually an island and so requires maritime patrol aircraft. Then giving Boeing £X billion more than it would have cost to finish the MRA4 program in order to buy P-8s that aren't even as good for our requirements as an MRA4, that was all him >.>

Not sure how to take those words, sounds like he is ignoring that in simple equipment attrition terms Ukraine will run out of man power before Russia does not to mention the needless loss of lives.
It's also worth remembering that you can't compare economies like he's saying when factoring in different currencies, standards, what the same amount buys you. etc etc.

A Russian friend of mine who works in the UK defence sector (moved here in the early 2000s because he thought Putin would be a disaster, not a spy, it's been checked lol) once explained to me that the "value" of weapons can't really be directly compared between Russia and the west because (numbers are for illustration only):

If the UK government commissions a £20bn missile program that will take 5 years and produce missiles worth £8m. The end result will be a missile program worth £20bn that actually cost £25-30bn due to overspending, took 6-7 years due to overruns, and produces missiles worth £8m that now cost £12m due to supply chain inflation/gouging.

If the Russian government commissions a £20bn missile program that will take 5 years and produce missiles worth £8m. The end result will be a missile program worth £10-15bn that still cost 20bn due to corruption, took 7-10 years due to dealing with issues caused by the corruption, and produces missiles worth £4m due to substandard parts/design that still cost £8m due to the ongoing corruption.

Lol can't wait, left wing Twitter having a melt down that we get to hear both sides of a conflict.

I think the problem is “we” doesn’t extend to include Russians.

Most people on this side of the fence will see the interview for what it is. Apart from a small number of imbeciles, who are already exposed to daily doses of Russian propaganda.

Last edited:
That's quite interesting, Hungary is an EU member, it will be interesting to see how the EU respond to the USA engaging in what basically constitutes economic warfare against a member state.

I would imagine it will be silence from the EU, Hungary is a thorn in the EUs side under Orban. Not sure Hungary would even qualify for membership now as its an illiberal democracy.

Weren't the EU already making threats against Hungary to get them to pass the military aid bill just recently? :p Hungarian ministers were complaining about being blackmailed by the EU :p

The military aid package is separate to the 50 billion if that’s what you meant.

The military aid package is separate to the 50 billion if that’s what you meant.
Was just making the point that the EU are hardly likely to rush to take Hungary's side if the US takes a hard line with them over Ukraine; they seem to have ruffled plenty of feathers inside the EU by this point.

Was just making the point that the EU are hardly likely to rush to take Hungary's side if the US takes a hard line with them over Ukraine; they seem to have ruffled plenty of feathers inside the EU by this point.

Depends who’s in office I suppose. One candidate thinks Victor Orbin* is the leader of Turkey and Europe collectively has spent 20 billion in aid for Ukraine.

When Russia sends fake Americans, they're not sending their best.

There is a sudden surge of pro Texas independence accounts on Twitter. And why? Well a couple weeks ago on Russian TV they were saying they think Texas will become independent within 10 years and weaken the US. And then suddenly all these new Twitter accounts show up posting they want Texas to leave the union

In fairness, if I recall correctly he wanted to have our aircraft carriers redesigned from STOVL (bargain basement) to CATOBAR (gold standard) however the programme was too far through at that point for a change of course.

All the other smoothebrain stuff like scrapping the Nimrod MRA4 program to save money, then remembering the UK is actually an island and so requires maritime patrol aircraft. Then giving Boeing £X billion more than it would have cost to finish the MRA4 program in order to buy P-8s that aren't even as good for our requirements as an MRA4, that was all him >.>
I remember the CATOBAR feasibility study being announced in the news in 2010’s but was bound to fail this far into the program. They’re very complicated, expensive to maintain with a gazillion parts (Nimitz class) or you go down the modern electromagnetic catapult, which the US is the only country to have rolled it out on the latest carrier. All in all it was beyond our budget when you consider the huge black hole already identified elsewhere in our military and even the US say it was a mistake to bring in too make new techs under one system.

By far the biggest issue is all the support ships for the carrier, which is severely lacking so it’s basically impossible for us to have both ships running at the same time in actual operational theatres, instead of just cruising around the seas. Infact I heard we can barely scrounge together enough crew and ships to make a single carrier group, let alone two and need months of notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom