Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Actually yes, we would have won. We had a nuclear program that was going to work; the Nazis did not. At that time we had an empire - mainly Canada, India, and Australia. Winning, however, would have taken much longer.
How would we have delivered a nuke, and would we really have been prepared to pepper Europe with nukes to end the Nazi regime?

Anyway, as far as I remember the Russians received a lot of aid from the US in terms of equipment and finance, without/before sending US troops.

A bit pointless trying to figure out what would have happened tho in a hypothetical alternate reality, over a period of many years.. given such a tremendous deviation from what actually happened.

Soldato
The UK nuclear programme was named ` Tube Alloys` and was run by Wallace Akers developed from the Frisch–Peierls memorandum of 1940. It was subsumed by the Manhattan Project in 1943, then the UK was shut of of the bomb research in 1946 forcing the UK to restart its own work.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
The UK nuclear programme was named ` Tube Alloys` and was run by Wallace Akers developed from the Frisch–Peierls memorandum of 1940. It was subsumed by the Manhattan Project in 1943, then the UK was shut of of the bomb research in 1946 forcing the UK to restart its own work.
America, screwing over its allies since 1946

Soldato
IIRC the first shoot down of an aircraft by a patriot battery was in the golf war, it was a UK aircraft.

It was something like the IFF on the aircraft wasn't working properly, and the US standards for operating the battery was basically fire at anything that didn't positively ID as friendly, I think it may also have been running on some sort of auto fire mode so little/no confirmation needed by the crew manning the battery before it fired.

Ah poor pilot did he survive? Thats quite unlucky as from what I read the missiles the patriots used back then were so ineffective that they were a meme

Last edited:
Soldato
America, screwing over its allies since 1946

It started long before that. America has a long history of only wanting to engage with its so called allies when it benefits them, and then as soon as there is no longer a easy and tangible benefit, it's straight back to America First Isolationism

Soldato
Ah poor pilot did he survive? Thats quite unlucky as from what I read the missiles the patriots used back then were so ineffective that they were a meme

Was in 2003 - an RAF Tornado on return from a mission and an F18. The RAF is a huge bone of contention as `on the ground` sources say it was patriot software going wrong; which leads into a story the following day of an F16 `accidentally` firing a HARM at a patriot battery that had locked it up

edit: the crew died in both accounts

Last edited:
Soldato
How would we have delivered a nuke,

Lancaster or Mosquito come to mind. If not them, I'm sure Barnes Wallis would have come up with something.

and would we really have been prepared to pepper Europe with nukes to end the Nazi regime?

I don't think it would have come to that, though I do think we would have needed more than two. I think nuking several German cities would have done the job.

Man of Honour
How would we have delivered a nuke, and would we really have been prepared to pepper Europe with nukes to end the Nazi regime?

Anyway, as far as I remember the Russians received a lot of aid from the US in terms of equipment and finance, without/before sending US troops.

A bit pointless trying to figure out what would have happened tho in a hypothetical alternate reality, over a period of many years.. given such a tremendous deviation from what actually happened.

We had a bunch of aircraft and in development aircraft in the second half of the war which could have done the job - it is actually surprising if you look into some quite modern aircraft actually started life only 1 iteration from prototypes in the mid 40s to early 50s and there was actually some quite advanced stuff coming along even in the early 40s. While we didn't pursue long range rocketry with any real intent or resources during WW2 we had a lot of the knowledge, experience and equipment to have quickly ramped up into development if we'd gone down that road as well.

Somewhat more concerning and obviously limited in scope but I've seen WW2 modelling which showed the vast majority of potential alternative outcomes would have lead to a nuclear exchange between the US and Russia within a few years if things had gone most other ways! (due to not having the awareness and so on which developed after the limited use of nuclear weapons on Japan).

Man of Honour
Is this the beginning of the end for Ukraine?

Doubtful the beginning of the end but as I mentioned a couple of weeks back:

It doesn't seem to be being reported much but even at huge cost Russia has slowly been eeking out terrain gains across the front over the last few days, largely due to Russia seeming to have a bit more artillery ammo coming in (possibly NK supply) at a time where Ukraine is having to conserve what they have:

If the artillery situation isn't rectified soon potentially we could see a precipitated collapse along the frontline.

Despite the overall narrative there has been Russian gains, even if minor, across the front lately, some of them now becoming bigger advances and/or build ups of Russian forces. If the West doesn't pull its thumb out the momentum will be difficult to reverse.

The artillery ammo situation is critical and something which needs resolving in days and weeks not months or years.

Soldato
Give Ukraine their nukes back so they can tell the squatters to get out or else.
Problem is, their nukes were given to Russia not the west :(

RAF won that war.
Flying almost entirely on donated American aviation fuel.

We had a bunch of aircraft and in development aircraft in the second half of the war which could have done the job
Case in point the Avro Lancaster was fully capable of doing anything the B-29 (which bombed Nagasaki/Hiroshima) could. This is often forgotten as it's from the same era as the B-17 so many assume that was it's contemporary but in reality the Lancaster was notably superior.

Last edited:
Soldato
Z
The latest reports are the first F-16 pilots will be ready in May. So far about 50 F-16's have been pledged to Ukraine.

Coincides with Vladolfs big push. With any hope the Czech deal on shells gets done and the combination with the glide bomb is enough.

Soldato
The barges were full of German troops ready to invade.

With air support this could have happened.

RAF won that war.

And then Hitler's attention went to their "pals" in Russia.
Wrong. The Battle of Britain was only a distraction for the Soviets along with letting the army at Dunkirk escape and it worked so well that the Soviets were caught almost completely off-guard.

He never intended to invade Britain, in fact he never wanted a war with Britain or France. The plan was always to go East.

Soldato
Russia staying true to form :(

Screenshot-2024-02-18-231645.png

Caporegime
Case in point the Avro Lancaster was fully capable of doing anything the B-29 (which bombed Nagasaki/Hiroshima) could. This is often forgotten as it's from the same era as the B-17 so many assume that was it's contemporary but in reality the Lancaster was notably superior.
But presumably shooting down those bombers wouldn't have been a problem, either. Since the US isn't providing any support in this hypothetical, at best the Nazis are still fighting the Russians and at worst they've achieved total victory already by the time the UK has a nuke.

I mean, the Germans had the first operational jet interceptors didn't they. And the most advanced rocketry.

So I still wonder how the UK would have delivered a nuke. And in such a hypothetical situation, the answer I'm most likely to get is, "We'd have thought of something!"

Caporegime
Wrong. The Battle of Britain was only a distraction for the Soviets along with letting the army at Dunkirk escape and it worked so well that the Soviets were caught almost completely off-guard.

He never intended to invade Britain, in fact he never wanted a war with Britain or France. The plan was always to go East.

Where did you learn that?

List of sources I can read. Never in my life have I come across this. I'm genuinely interested if this has come up recently. Past ten years.

Or is it 1am sarcasm I'm missing.

Caporegime
But presumably shooting down those bombers wouldn't have been a problem, either. Since the US isn't providing any support in this hypothetical, at best the Nazis are still fighting the Russians and at worst they've achieved total victory already by the time the UK has a nuke.

I mean, the Germans had the first operational jet interceptors didn't they. And the most advanced rocketry.

So I still wonder how the UK would have delivered a nuke. And in such a hypothetical situation, the answer I'm most likely to get is, "We'd have thought of something!"
Why nuke when you can Dresden.... :p

Soldato
Final Russian losses now that the battle for Avdiivka is done

Russian personnel and systems damaged or destroyed in the Battle for Avdiivka

Personnel: 47,186 personnel injured/killed

AFV and IFV: 784 vehicles damaged/destroyed

Tanks: 364 vehicles damaged/destroyed

Artillery systems: 268 damaged/destroyed

Aircraft: 5 shot down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back