Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
The worrying thing in my opinion is the more sanctions put upon Russia, the more we strangle them. The more frustrated and angry Puttin gets the more chance you have of a flippant decision can be made. I put it down to almost like playing a game. He’s not on the front line and he’s playing a game to take over Ukraine, the games rules keep changing and you get more and more frustrated you dont play the same way you was planning to.

I'm getting a little concerned about these sanctions as well its not just Governments issuing sanctions, everyone on the planet is! We need to punish him but if we totally destroy their economy God knows how he will react, we don't want to turn the population against us either we want to give them a way out of this by turning on Putin.

There's a story about Putin that when he was a child he cornered a rat in his bedroom and tried to capture it, as a result, it attacked him, he said he learned a valuable lesson that day.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/readersblog/bibliophilejournalist/cornered-putin-27849/

Would taking Kyiv be the end? It seems to be the main focus but if Zelensky manages to escape to another city further West surely the fight would continue.
The problem is, if they take Kiev, they take the government, at which point they can declare the war is now over and anyone still fighting them an insurgent, this means the Geneva convention no longer applies to enemy combatants.

If it sounds familiar that's because they're basically copying the US coalition's rush to Baghdad strategy, just really really badly.

No. It would simply turn into a guerilla war for a decade. Sanctions won't be lifted either. Putin dun goofed up.

This is very much how I see it, I think Putin is just digging himself into a hole, as other countries start supply more gear to Ukraine, imposing more sanctions, cutting ties with Russia - it's going to start hammering the Russian people.

It's all good Putin being a hard man or whatever he thinks he is, but when his people can't buy stuff, fly anywhere inside Europe, or the cost of a mortgage is crazy - it's surely a one way ticket.

FFS LOL got my first ever 12 hour Twitter suspension and was forced to delete a tweet... for "targeted abuse and harassment" because I commented, that someone ought to take out Putin! Putin FFS! He's not some random journalist or MP who needs to be protected from abuse!

What happens if Russia wins?

Do they sanctions get lifted? If not I don't understand how it would go forward, or how he wouldn't consider a further war.

Takes time for a drone to transit?

The Turkish drones can carry 150kg. A Brimstone for example is 50kg. So I'm assuming two laser seeker bombs per drone.
Feels like modern warfare just needs to be a disproportionate number of these bad boys. Probably a lot cheaper than an F35!

Where are they taking off and landing?

Doubt he'd have expected the asset freezes at central banks to be likely, it wasn't clear at all how strong sanctions would be until recently, initially there was still some decent in Europe.

People need to get away from the notion that Putin is playing 4D chess here.

I think it is mostly about timelines. If Putin could have taken Ukraine quickly without too many casualties, installed a puppet government and the Ukraine returned to mostly peaceful but Russian controlled state, then the sanctions would slowly drop and western capitalists loose out as well. A lot of the sanctions already have. limited duration, e.g. 3 months. If the war goes on and this turns in to another Vietnam/Afghanistan scenario which seems possible, the sanctions will stick and the cost to Russian economy will be devastating.

The problem is, if they take Kiev, they take the government, at which point they can declare the war is now over and anyone still fighting them an insurgent, this means the Geneva convention no longer applies to enemy combatants.

If it sounds familiar that's because they're basically copying the US coalition's rush to Baghdad strategy, just really really badly.

Can't the government move though? If we lost London but our PM / government had relocated to safety elsewhere in the country to keep the fight going then I don't see the population just accepting a new authority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom