Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Russian intelligence who shot and released the footage of the President fleeing. That certainly wasn't some lucky reporter from a Ukrainian TV station. I didn't really think about foreign powers until I saw that video.

Associate
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Russian intelligence who shot and released the footage of the President fleeing. That certainly wasn't some lucky reporter from a Ukrainian TV station. I didn't really think about foreign powers until I saw that video.

I thought that footage was captured by CCTV on the president compound ? I assumed the activists or whatever got hold of the tapes.

Associate
I thought that footage was captured by CCTV on the president compound ? I assumed the activists or whatever got hold of the tapes.

I can see where your coming from but whatever that was shot on had a very fast zoom lens with a pretty good focal range as well as focally adjusting IR which isn't that crazy but for a lens that long and that fast, it's a pretty piece of kit. Also, it was sped up for some reason.

Soldato
I'd say the chance of a Russian intervention is slim. The repercussions for Russia would be too great, and the Ukrainian armed forces (at least on paper) are large enough to be able to put up a decent resistance. It would be no walkover.

Associate
I imagine the diplomatic repercussions from the EU and the US would be significant. A NATO intervention to defend Ukraine wouldn't be totally unthinkable either.

Do you Honestly think that NATO would intervene to defend Ukraine ? I would like to think that they would but I cant see it myself.

Associate
I'd say the chance of a Russian intervention is slim. The repercussions for Russia would be too great, and the Ukrainian armed forces (at least on paper) are large enough to be able to put up a decent resistance. It would be no walkover.

Good reason to remove a government by proxy!

Associate
It's unlikely, but not impossible. Ukraine is bordered by several NATO states, and was supposed to be joining at some point.

I hope they Do Join. It's horrible living in a Country that shares a Border with Russia. My wife is from Georgia and I must say it was very scary to say the least when they invaded in 2008.

Permabanned
OP

Stop dreaming, be serious... Russia took on Georgia and all that was done is few angered letters and it was forgotten.

This popped up on FB today and reminded me of this thread....

Seen that video on BBC, even the BBC said that it is heavily biased towards protestors since it protrayed that only the protestors suffered, while the police in the square had numerous losses themselves and protestors have been seen with live ammo guns Before the police were allowed to carry those themselves.

It was also mentioned it has been "hollywood" edited for maximum effect, hardly your average video.

I imagine the diplomatic repercussions from the EU and the US would be significant. A NATO intervention to defend Ukraine wouldn't be totally unthinkable either.

No lol, they will not intervene against Russia, dont be crazy.

Ukranian army is pathetic compared to Russian and chances are that the real army would refuse orders to fight Russians from the government... About 40% of Ukraine are still pro Russian.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/23/ukraine-crisis-secession-russian-crimea

Soldato
I hope they Do Join. It's horrible living in a Country that shares a Border with Russia. My wife is from Georgia and I must say it was very scary to say the least when they invaded in 2008.

The problem is that Russian foreign policy still acts at times like the USSR still exists, they want and expect these countries to essentially do the Kremlin's bidding. The Russians do everything they can to stop these former Soviet vassal states from looking toward the West.

Permabanned
OP

Russia DID NOT invade Georgia. It has been made a fact by EU commission that the aggressor in that conflict was Georgia.

Georgia shelled civilian city of Tsihinvali way before Russians even did anything.

EU Independent Fact Finding Mission Report;

"The Report stated that conflict started "with a massive Georgian artillery attack... against the town of Tskhinvali and the surrounding areas, launched in the night of 7 to 8 August 2008""

"The report also stated that "the use of force by Georgia against Russian peacekeeping forces in Tskhinvali in the night of 7/8 August 2008 would be contrary to international law". The report said that "if the Russian peacekeepers were attacked," then "the immediate [Russian] reaction in defense of Russian peacekeepers" would be justified, as "Russia had the right to defend its peacekeepers, using military means proportionate to the attack"

This is a EU report mind you....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respon...ar#EU_Independent_Fact_Finding_Mission_Report

Watch this video too

Last edited:
Soldato
Stop dreaming, be serious... Russia took on Georgia and all that was done is few angered letters and it was forgotten.

Seen that video on BBC, even the BBC said that it is heavily biased towards protestors since it protrayed that only the protestors suffered, while the police in the square had numerous losses themselves and protestors have been seen with live ammo guns Before the police were allowed to carry those themselves.

It was also mentioned it has been "hollywood" edited for maximum effect, hardly your average video.

No lol, they will not intervene against Russia, dont be crazy.

Ukranian army is pathetic compared to Russian and chances are that the real army would refuse orders to fight Russians from the government... About 40% of Ukraine are still pro Russian.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/23/ukraine-crisis-secession-russian-crimea

It's entirely different this time, Ukraine is a large European state and I seriously doubt the US and Europe are just going to allow Russia to invade and do as they please, they have to stand up to Putin.

I did say that chances of an actual intervention are slim, but it isn't entirely impossible.

The Russian army isn't too great these days either you know, although there is no disputing that the Russian's have a clear advantage

Permabanned
OP
It's entirely different this time, Ukraine is a large European state and I seriously doubt the US and Europe are just going to allow Russia to invade and do as they please, they have to stand up to Putin.

I did say that chances of an actual intervention are slim, but it isn't entirely impossible.

The Russian army isn't too great these days either you know, although there is no disputing that the Russian's have a clear advantage

Russia will not invade Ukraine, because it wants nothing with the western Ukraine...

However, Russian parts of Ukraine like Crimea refuse to acknowledge the current government, I would not be surprised that they will leave Ukraine and seek some sort of recognition from Russia, other regions in the east might do exactly the same.

It will be done through democratic vote and then reinforced by Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom