Under investigation at work

Soldato
Thanks to the magic of the cloud, my WhatsApp conversations have persisted over the last 3 or 4 phones... I suppose you write your phone numbers down in a miniature leather-bound book :p

No I have them in an online account, which I maintain. Which means clearing out old numbers, emails, updating them when they change, removing duplicates etc. Removing weirdos, bunny boilers, burner numbers, bad deals,

If you don't do that, you are the equivalent of those people who hoard a couple of tones of rubbish in their houses, live in the shed, and have 12 cats. But you are doing it digitally.
If you are wondering why its takes a few terabytes to back up your phone, and you need a phone with 256GB and its still not enough. This is why
.. and also why some people need a drunk lock for their phone... https://www.thrillist.com/tech/nation/apps-to-prevent-drunk-texting-and-late-night-mistakes

Soldato
No I have them in an online account, which I maintain. Which means clearing out old numbers, emails, updating them when they change, removing duplicates etc. Removing weirdos, bunny boilers, burner numbers, bad deals,

If you don't do that, you are the equivalent of those people who hoard a couple of tones of rubbish in their houses, live in the shed, and have 12 cats. But you are doing it digitally.
If you are wondering why its takes a few terabytes to back up your phone, and you need a phone with 256GB and its still not enough. This is why
.. and also why some people need a drunk lock for their phone... https://www.thrillist.com/tech/nation/apps-to-prevent-drunk-texting-and-late-night-mistakes

Well I guess I am lucky to be married for a decade plus and not to be a ******* with my phone :p My WhatsApp database is <5GB and contacts take up no appreciable space at all. Deleting contacts, maybe I've bought stuff from people on scumtree etc and deleted them. Friends and acquaintances, it's always useful to know who it was who called you our of the blue

Soldato
Unfortunately being in IT, you always get someones phone handed to you to fix that has zero space left and all their photos and every chat in the last 20 yrs.
Usual one now is all the kids photos, baby photos , weddings, over the past 10yrs. Never backed up and the screen is dead, or been dropped in a toilet.
Or its a small business and all their contacts, contracts info is all stored on their phone. Ditto with laptops.

...or they have to switch phones from iPhone to Android or the other way and non of the chat backups or contact lists can be transferred properly.

Maybe thats why people have 6yr old phones though....

Soldato
So it can be blocked.

2 things then

1) obv op didn't block the number... so yeah that was worth keeping it
2) if the other person involved has been harassing the op to warrant a block then get the fuzz involved to stop them and no need to block then or change your number when you get a new phone

Soldato
As a general rule if i think you are a dick or you havent warranted speaking to in a year then your numbers gone.

No point keeping hold of numbers you wont ring and will prob be out of date anyway... its not 1999 and your trying to prove who is popular by how many phone contacts you have...

Man of Honour
2 things then

1) obv op didn't block the number... so yeah that was worth keeping it
2) if the other person involved has been harassing the op to warrant a block then get the fuzz involved to stop them and no need to block then or change your number when you get a new phone
Blocking it from calls and texts is separate to blocking it on WhatsApp sounds like the op did one and not the other.

Soldato

Sounds like you think it's 2011... You can have access to all this in the cloud. There's no need to delete most stuff. There's also no need for it to be on your phone. I don't delete stuff and I can cope with a 64GB phone, no problem.

Associate
Who keeps a phone for over 3yrs.....

Why would you keep such a person as a contact and not have deleted them years ago....

I do! :) HTC M7 bought in late April 2013 so over 6 years old now!

Custom ROM with my own tweaks and custom kernel built from source myself with random mods etc still going well!

Battery only lasts me a day now with minimal use but the phone still works great! Sad to see the day when it breaks (or I drop it!).

Nick

Back
Top Bottom