• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unlock your ATI 6950 to a 6970 Thread

Soldato
Thanks it looked different to your readings as I was comparing your flashed reading to my own

the important bit is the shaders section, if after flicking the switch it's 1408 means your card hasn't unlocked but if it's 1536(which yours is) means it's unlocked).

so you didn't oc the card(core clock) it went up on it's own? with mine it went down from 880mhz to stock 6950 speeds after I flicked the switch, not yet tested the second card yet.

Soldato
the important bit is the shaders section, if after flicking the switch it's 1408 means your card hasn't unlocked but if it's 1536(which yours is) means it's unlocked).

so you didn't oc the card(core clock) it went up on it's own? with mine it went down from 880mhz to stock 6950 speeds after I flicked the switch, not yet tested the second card yet.

Yes just flicked the switch, ive got two cards so will install other card and see if that works for xfire:)

Associate
Just flashed one of my MSI 6950s TF IIIs. Piece of cake, had more trouble making a boot drive as I didn't have a spare working USB stick!

Checked with GPU-Z and MSI Afterburner, GPU-Z looks exactly the same as Clairvoyant's screenshot and MSI Afterburner allows the higher clock rates now :)

Re - DivineWind if it means anything I set the switch on the card to the right w/ reference to having the MSI TW III logo the right way up. I also took the second card completely out including Xfire links.

Going to do the second card now! edit - Now both unlocked and running them in XFire :D

Last edited:
Can't type for toffee
Don
Cant find nowt on the box to say manufacture date.
They do have a sticker ont he front that says theyve been awarded a "TOP1 VGA" by some german company tho :confused:

Good news from you Lynx :)

I now need to find something to turn into a bootable usb device lol
Which Bios did you use?

Associate
Cant find nowt on the box to say manufacture date.
They do have a sticker ont he front that says theyve been awarded a "TOP1 VGA" by some german company tho :confused:

Good news from you Lynx :)

I now need to find something to turn into a bootable usb device lol
Which Bios did you use?

I used this guide to make the Win98 boot usb stick, it has everything you need to make it - http://www.bay-wolf.com/usbmemstick.htm

And used the 6970 bios from the Vortez guide here - http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/msi_r6950_twin_froz_iii_power_edition_unlocking,1.html

Theres a few guides on Youtube of people going through the flash step by step as well, I had a quick look on there just for reference too.

Those switches I found out are just for fan control, having it to the left is performance mode and to the right is silent. I've not noticed any difference really cause I use Afterburner to set the speeds manually.

I think basically you just have to bite the bullet and see if it works, I couldn't find anything about manufacturing dates and what have you. Everywhere I've looked its seems to have worked, don't think I've seen anyones card not flashing, so everything should be fine :)

Soldato
MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III PE unlocked perfectly fine :D

Now time to buy a second one methinks!

Hi, looking for 6850 myself, didnt know that had a bios switch ? im looking for a 6950 card so it can be unlocked and 6970, any chance of instructions ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey guys.
I was the first one on OCUK to unlock my card :D (beat Easyrider to it by a few mins :D). Nice to see this thread still going.

I see RBE hasn't been updated since March 2011 (which allowed voltage mods to the bios but no clock speeds).

Has anyone got unlocked 6950 with modded voltage and clock speeds yet? :)

Associate
Hey guys.
I was the first one on OCUK to unlock my card :D (beat Easyrider to it by a few mins :D). Nice to see this thread still going.

I see RBE hasn't been updated since March 2011 (which allowed voltage mods to the bios but no clock speeds).

Has anyone got unlocked 6950 with modded voltage and clock speeds yet? :)

Not that i've seen anywhere, and i've still been Googleing almost daily for more details on theses recently.

I ran the pure 6970 bios for 6-9months iirc, saw no problems until BF3 beta then started having video memory errors,(assumeing it was the ram timeings from the 6970 bios.. But since then found out my systems ram was faulty and had to rma that. either way i dropped back to 6950/unlocked shaders. RBE to up volts to 1175, and this card hates me if i try going about 930/1450 running at 930/1350 but both works. Still temps with high fan settings stay at 60-65.

Just doesnt want to overclock further :( i have noticed its much more stable once you use rbe to change volts rather than sapphire trixx or msi ab.

Not that i've seen anywhere, and i've still been Googleing almost daily for more details on theses recently.

I ran the pure 6970 bios for 6-9months iirc, saw no problems until BF3 beta then started having video memory errors,(assumeing it was the ram timeings from the 6970 bios.. But since then found out my systems ram was faulty and had to rma that. either way i dropped back to 6950/unlocked shaders. RBE to up volts to 1175, and this card hates me if i try going about 930/1450 running at 930/1350 but both works. Still temps with high fan settings stay at 60-65.

Just doesnt want to overclock further :( i have noticed its much more stable once you use rbe to change volts rather than sapphire trixx or msi ab.

Mine isn't an amazing clocker. I had issues with the ram on mine from day one with the 6970 bios so ran the 6950 one. Ten months on I have no issues. I did mod the voltage a touch, to 1.150 I think (I really can't remember).

Associate
Just wondering if it's possible to flash and unlock the MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III?

I've ordered one to go cos I'm building a new rig but I'm being overly cautious cos I've heard of laser cut chips to stop the unlocking etc.

Also anyway to restore the original bios if the flash went wrong?

Soldato
Just wondering if it's possible to flash and unlock the MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III?

I've ordered one to go cos I'm building a new rig but I'm being overly cautious cos I've heard of laser cut chips to stop the unlocking etc.

Also anyway to restore the original bios if the flash went wrong?

If you read back a few pages, you would see I have unlocked both of mine. You need to use MSIs bios. Look back a few pages and you will find the link.

Associate
1 day before i buy my graphic card...blah...one fast question is better to get gtx 580 (ment to get gigabyte n580UD-15I or directCU II) and after some time to get another 1 for sli, or to get now 2x 6950 and to flesh it up to 6970? hate when can;t decide... x(

Soldato
Hi all i just got the Sapphire Technology ATI Radeon 6950 HD 800MHz 2GB PCI-Express HDMI from another seller, with a flick of the switch it unlocked with shaders , i dont really wanna overclock, so just matching 6970 clocks will be ok ?

ok i got it at 6970 spec 880mhz 1375mhz, via the trixx sapphire utilty, comes with dual fan and big copper pipes so its got a good cooler,
Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom