• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unlock your ATI 6950 to a 6970 Thread

Associate
Anyone with a ASUS EAH6950 DCII 2GB around that unlocked it with flashing to the EAH6970 DCII 2GB Bios instead of manually unlocking shaders only?

I did so and I am worried a little , so far its running well but I read a lot of people with problems and now I am into paranoia.

Might be better to stick to normal 6950 Bios and only unlocking shaders / overclocking ? :eek:

Associate
uh-oh....I think I've just managed to brick my new 6950.....I flashed the bios, now my system won't restart, I am just getting a click click noise and the systems is continually restarting :(

No switch on my card to go back to the original bios...double :(

Associate
That's why you shouldn't flash the bios. You should only unlock the shaders.

Yeah entirly my fault for not reading up enough before I did it, feeling like quite a pratt now.

Anyone know a way of getting it working? I've managed to put my old card back in and have moved the 6950 to a different PCIe slot and can see it enough to try flashing it. It seems to work, but when I swap back it just craps out again.

Associate
Yeah entirly my fault for not reading up enough before I did it, feeling like quite a pratt now.

Anyone know a way of getting it working? I've managed to put my old card back in and have moved the 6950 to a different PCIe slot and can see it enough to try flashing it. It seems to work, but when I swap back it just craps out again.

Did you make a copy of your old bios?

Lum

Lum

Soldato
Stick another graphics card in, like an old PCI one, configure your system so that graphics card becomes the primary and is used for booting. There's usually an "Init graphics first" PCI/PEG (PCI Express Graphics) setting in the BIOS.

Boot into Windows or DOS, flash your old BIOS back.

Associate
Yeah it doesn't seem to be working, it says it's flashing, but once I turn off, swap the cards back round and restart I get the same issue of the clicking and the power cycle.

Windows does seem to see it though when it's in the second PCIe slot so I guess that's possitive!

Soldato
Well I've got a strange issue again. As before, have got an MSI and Sapphire card. MSI card works fine and has unlocked easily.

The Sapphire card appears to have unlocked as it shows the extra shaders yet as soon as I try to play a game in crossfire I get horrible screen flicker, fuzzy bars going across the screen up and down. If I then make BF3 into a window the flicking goes away and it works happily on the one main card, the Sapphire one?

This happens to all games, Sapphire as my main card and MSI as my second, monitor plugged into my Sapphire.. Crossfire and I get the dreaded screen flicker, with it disabled it works fine?

Surely if the shaders were at fault then I'd get the same issue with the card running on it's own?

Soldato
Well I've got a strange issue again. As before, have got an MSI and Sapphire card. MSI card works fine and has unlocked easily.

The Sapphire card appears to have unlocked as it shows the extra shaders yet as soon as I try to play a game in crossfire I get horrible screen flicker, fuzzy bars going across the screen up and down. If I then make BF3 into a window the flicking goes away and it works happily on the one main card, the Sapphire one?

This happens to all games, Sapphire as my main card and MSI as my second, monitor plugged into my Sapphire.. Crossfire and I get the dreaded screen flicker, with it disabled it works fine?

Surely if the shaders were at fault then I'd get the same issue with the card running on it's own?

And now after swapping the cards over so I'm using the MSI card as the main one, the Sapphire card works with unlocked shaders in crossfire?! :confused:

Associate
Late to the party

Hi All,

I just wanted to post about the trawling I've done over the interwebs trying to find a current retail unlockable card. As I was late to the party this mean't reference cards were not an option.

After a lot of hunting I narrowed my choices to the following 4 HD 6950 2GB variants:

MSI Twin Frozr II (These allegedly unlock with a non-standard scripted method)
MSI Twin Frozr III (The later batches do unlock as demonstrated on this thread!)
Sapphire Dual Fan Edition (All SKUs of this type with the dual bios and switch have a chance of unlocking doesnt have to be the dirt 3 edition either)
Asus Direct CU II (Anecdotals that this unlocks)

I haven't included the Sapphire Toxic card as its hard to find at a decent price (most within a tenner of a retail 6970 atm).

In the end I got the Sapphire Dual Fan edition with BF3 and Deus Ex, unboxed it flicked a switch and stuck it in my PC, 1536 shaders...

Good luck all.

Associate
Oh sorry I got confused, I thought the thing overclocks it also to +20%. So If I just unlock shaders, I'm not increasing voltages or anything? And unlocking shaders will giv eme a significant performance increase?

Back
Top Bottom