• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unlock your ATI 6950 to a 6970 Thread

Soldato
1 day before i buy my graphic card...blah...one fast question is better to get gtx 580 (ment to get gigabyte n580UD-15I or directCU II) and after some time to get another 1 for sli, or to get now 2x 6950 and to flesh it up to 6970? hate when can;t decide... x(

Ive ditched my EVGA 580 and bought two Sapphire Toxics not done xfire yet,

But so far so good,will be a better gfx option personally

Soldato
Associate
:D

h9x.png

Just changed the switch and it unlocked perfecty.

Soldato
But of a strange one..

I've got a MSI Frozr II 6950 and a Sapphire Dual Fan Edition 6950 running in crossfire.

I did the Bios 'mod' on the Frozr II and it worked perfectly, extra shaders unlocked. I then go to try it on the Sapphire and it doesn't say it fails but it doesn't work either?

When flashing the MSI it popped up with a window giving me some details and would I like to restart.. With the Sapphire the loading bar pops up, gets half way and then nothing happens. No error message or success message :(

The question is what do I do now. I don't really need the Sapphire to unlock but it would be rather nice especially as it worked on the MSI card. Do I try my luck, sell the Sapphire and then get another MSI and hope for the best?

The Sapphire nor the MSI have the Bios switch either?

Last edited:
Associate
But of a strange one..

I've got a MSI Forza II 6950 and a Sapphire Dual Fan Edition 6950 running in crossfire.

I did the Bios 'mod' on the Forza II and it worked perfectly, extra shaders unlocked. I then go to try it on the Sapphire and it doesn't say it fails but it doesn't work either?

When flashing the MSI it popped up with a window giving me some details and would I like to restart.. With the Sapphire the loading bar pops up, gets half way and then nothing happens. No error message or success message :(

The question is what do I do now. I don't really need the Sapphire to unlock but it would be rather nice especially as it worked on the MSI card. Do I try my luck, sell the Sapphire and then get another MSI and hope for the best?

I wouldn't worry so much about unlocking the second card as it only provides very minimal gain at best. The highest gain comes from overclocking those bad boys!

Associate
But of a strange one..

I've got a MSI Frozr II 6950 and a Sapphire Dual Fan Edition 6950 running in crossfire.

I did the Bios 'mod' on the Frozr II and it worked perfectly, extra shaders unlocked. I then go to try it on the Sapphire and it doesn't say it fails but it doesn't work either?

The Sapphire nor the MSI have the Bios switch either?

Did you do the flash with both cards in your system? only i had to remove the bottom card and flash one at a time when i first got them.. not your models!!

Soldato
Did you do the flash with both cards in your system? only i had to remove the bottom card and flash one at a time when i first got them.. not your models!!

Yes I did, both times I've flashed my cards I've done it with them both in the system, just used 0 or 1 for the card when flashing.

Solved my Sapphire problem :)

It appears that stupidly I flashed the Bios of the Sapphire card :rolleyes: when I was messing around with it before. Some how I had managed to mess it up and as such I forgot the switch was in position 1 and I couldn't re-flash the card ha. Thus I was left with a card that would artifact when the switch was in position 2 and wouldn't flash with the switch in position 1.

Managed to find the original bios on the internet, download and modded that to unlock the extra shaders and bingo it works :)

Back
Top Bottom