**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Guys I want some, where's the best place?

I'm pricing them for my Megane. Camskill are cheap without fitting. However since I would want fitting I believe Black Circles are looking best.

I would never previously consider financing tyres but Black Circles also have them at 0% interest free for 6 months. Makes paying £760 quid for a set easier to stomach.

Soldato
Well it's oil damped and that helps consistency of measurement. It's rugged and weighty so that helps longevity. It's easy to use and read which is nice and it allows me to remove air via a valve when attached and I wanted known accuracy for road and track. Like an expensive watch it just tells the time but unlike an expensive watch accurately every time

But a digital guage will be more accurate, easier to read, smaller and cheaper?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/36060/tyre-gauges-test

What's most important about pressure guages than actual accuracy though. As you can always calibrate for accuracy once and then you know the offset.

Caporegime
Where is your verification of that sensors calibration? Do you often trust German reporting? Would you like to Tax a VW Golf TDI?

Pump up your tyres, before it's too late.

Man of Honour
But a digital guage will be more accurate, easier to read, smaller and cheaper?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/36060/tyre-gauges-test

What's most important about pressure guages than actual accuracy though. As you can always calibrate for accuracy once and then you know the offset.
To my point above, if you know best then spend your money as you prefer. I'm not seeking critique or advice from people who think they know best. My money, my purchase, my shiny gauge. :)

Man of Honour
Please, only the finest bottled air taken from the lungs of blue whales and baby dolphins.

Soon I hope T-Rex's as I have some experiments taking place on an island off the coast of.....well that's too much information, but I think are about to make a breakthrough!

Associate
Hi,

Hoping for some assistance as it's the first time I've had to buy tyres since getting the car it's a 325i m sport coupe with 225/40R18 fronts, 255/35 R18 rears with michelin pilot sport (runflats) - I currently only really need the rears but not sure if these are the best for the car or would I be better off changing all 4 and moving to a different type?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Soldato
Runflats are much better than they used to be but I wouldn't want to use them myself. IMO the added cost and potential for hassle reduction is not something I'd want to trade for now.

I would recommend looking at Michelin Pilot Sport 4, which should be available in these sizes, and would also consider only replacing the rears at this point if that's what's needed, unless the fronts are also close to needing replacement as well.

Back
Top Bottom