**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
I need two new rear tyres for my BMW 3 series (E93), so can either get two run flats (currently running Bridgestone Potenza R19) or for a slightly higher cost a full set of non-run flats (probably the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 3 - best price/performance point). The non-run flats would be my preference I think but I'm expecting to sell the car later this year (September at the earliest) so am loathe to spend over the odds on it now (it's about £200 more)... What would you do?

It seems Camskill ship to Jersey and will take off the VAT, so would most likely order from them.

EDIT: Is Holts Tyreweld the recommended repair sealant to carry in the trunk when no spare?

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry for another tyre thread but I would like to have some real life feedback for how tyres perform. I understand they might behave differently due to different size but I think it's better than reading random reviews off the internet.

The tyres are going on my Accord Type-R. In order of importance, I would like:

1. Good Grip (dry and wet)
2. Stiff Sidewall
3. Reasonably long lasting (i.e. 10k would be good enough)

I have narrowed down my options to below:

Michelin PS4
Michelin PSS
Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3
Bridgestone RE002
Continental SC5 (can't get SC6 in my size)
Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2

The Michelins / Bridgestone are similarly priced, SC5/Eagle F1 AS3 about £10 cheaper per corner and the Eagle F1 AS2 are £30 a corner cheaper.

When I last had a set of Eagle F1 AS2, I found the sidewalls a little bit soft but they are cheap (probably because they are getting replaced by AS3). I don't mind spending extra but are the more expensive options worth the extra?

Also, how does the others compare? I am kind of leaning towards the PS4 at the moment as my local tyre place have that in stock at a reasonable price and I can have them fitted straight away. What do you think?

Soldato
PS4 are probably the most suitable for you out of the lot.

Agreed with AS2 being soft, very well wearing though, until you finish them off on track :) I did find them better than the harder Bridgestone RE002s in terms of wet grip. No noticeable difference when dry though.

AS3s have replaced AS2s and generally speaking, shouldn't be more expensive than AS2s - in fact, the tyre sizes I've checked, they're cheaper!
AS3s are over a year old now too so AS2s shouldn't be considered :)

I'd check prices up on Blackcircles before committing to a local tyre place too. Funnily enough all my locals are more expensive than what Blackcircles offer, both via phone and their own website price.

Don
I'd check prices up on Blackcircles before committing to a local tyre place too. Funnily enough all my locals are more expensive than what Blackcircles offer, both via phone and their own website price.

And Blackcircles also offer cashback via Quidco, and Tesco clubcard points - both not to be underestimated on a couple of hundred quids worth of tyres.

Soldato
With mentioning the softness of the Eagle F1 AS tyres, do you think this is an issue for the low profile versions - 225/35R19, 255/30R19?

What is a typical cost for fitting and balancing? One quote I've got was £30 per corner :rolleyes: another was £54 for the set.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks, I think I will go with PS4.

Luckily, my local tyre place is Costco and for PS4, they are only £6 cheaper with points / fitting taken into account. Unfortunately, they are not doing the Voucher deals at the moment, I would have got £20 Costco vouchers out of this otherwise which would be even better.

I remembered when I had my MR2, Blackcircles were significantly cheaper but I had to take the wheels off myself, take it to a tyre fitter and they still charge me £10 a corner just to swap the tyres over, new valves etc. Not worth the £12 I think in this case.

Don
I remembered when I had my MR2, Blackcircles were significantly cheaper but I had to take the wheels off myself, take it to a tyre fitter and they still charge me £10 a corner just to swap the tyres over, new valves etc. Not worth the £12 I think in this case.
Blackcircles prices normally include fitting though? Maybe you are thinking of camskill?

Don't think they do clubcard points anymore.
Apparently not now - last time I ordered tyres was October or November though :(

Soldato
With mentioning the softness of the Eagle F1 AS tyres, do you think this is an issue for the low profile versions - 225/35R19, 255/30R19?

What is a typical cost for fitting and balancing? One quote I've got was £30 per corner :rolleyes: another was £54 for the set.

I have just had 4x 225/40/18s Rainsport 3s fitted and balanced for £10 a corner I did bung them an extra tenner to be careful as just had alloys refurbished

Soldato
"Check Tyre Pressure" popped up again.. Last time I had that, I had a flat with a nail in the shoulder... If I've got another irreparable one I'm just gonna stick with federals instead of buying £100 tyres..

Since done 90 miles and tyres were still fine this morning.. Probably a blip due to the unsual amount of weight... Phew..

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Dilema - I've been offered a full set of run flats for £500 fitted (used for 100 miles only, according to the garage), the cost for two new ones is £480 (I only need rears atm). Or full set of non-run flat AS3 £615... The full set of semi-used run flats became available as a new BMW owner simply hated the run flats and changed them pretty much straight away, I've not seen the tyres but the guy said they still have some of the little rubber spikes on. It would mean I have a spare set for the fronts as the current ones still have 6mm+ of tread...

Soldato
Just had a puncture, so need 2 new tyres (both fronts are at about 2mm after 8000 miles so thought it was best to get them both done).

Size is 205/40/17 and currently has Continental Sport Contact 5's fitted. Which of the following is the best to replace them with, bearing in mind I am what you would call a spirited driver.

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A ~ £80
Continental Sport Contact 5 ~ £90
Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 ~ £80
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 ~ £80
Michelin Pilot Sport 3 ~ £90

I have an idea of what I think is best, but wanted your opinions. :)

Back
Top Bottom