**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Come to the next Curborough meet. Loads of fun and you can easily find out the weaknesses in a car without the need to do a full on track day, only to spend half of it sitting in the pits because your brakes aren't up to scratch.

Curborough is the perfect taster tbh. Lot of fun either way :)

Associate
I need to replace the front tyres on my '12 640d and have went for premium brands after replacing the run flats. As a bit of a savings exercise I'm thinking of trying tyres from the mid range, for example:

- Falken FK150 - £159
- Toyo Proxes T1 Sport - £159

Compared with the Continental Sport Contact 6 at £236, it's a saving of £154 when buying two from the mid-range. Any thoughts? I have the Conti' SC6 on the rear at moment.

Soldato
Whilst those tyres aren't as bad as no name ditchfinders, they're not the kind of tyres I'd put on a 640d.

If your tyres are the standard 245 45 R18s, you can get Conti Premium Contact 6s for £145 fitted.

Associate
That's what I was thinking, it might be a false economy and I'll have a full set of SC6's all round if that makes a difference.

The tyres I need are 245 35 R20 so always going to be that bit more expensive.

Soldato
Ah, that's an awkward tyre size.

It's probably worth the extra £20-30 per corner for the SC6s though. Bridgestone S001s are a cheaper alternative from a decent brand too if you get the tyres delivered and fitted separately.

Man of Honour
I need to replace the front tyres on my '12 640d and have went for premium brands after replacing the run flats. As a bit of a savings exercise I'm thinking of trying tyres from the mid range, for example:

- Falken FK150 - £159
- Toyo Proxes T1 Sport - £159

Compared with the Continental Sport Contact 6 at £236, it's a saving of £154 when buying two from the mid-range. Any thoughts? I have the Conti' SC6 on the rear at moment.

Don't fit crap internet hero tyres to a 640d. Do it properly - personally this is the problem with 20 inch wheels, not only do they ruin the ride but they also inflate the tyre costs. I'd rather have the 19's with a set of decent tyres.

Soldato
Money is a bit tight at the moment, or rather needs conserving and I need a couple of 195/65/R15 tyres for my Peugeot 307. Kwik-Fit, Blackcircles and National Tyres all have their own cheap brands around £42. My yearly mileage has always been about 10k and is less now. Generally don't drive fast and do 45 to 90 mile round trips on the A1 or M1 once or twice most weekends. I've always used cheap tyres between £40 and £60 and they've been fine. I'm aware braking distances are longer in the wet. Does anyone here use them or will I be thrown to the sharks for even considering them?

Caporegime
If you can afford to run a car you can afford to save another £100 and buy good tyres.

Alternatively id rather have good branded part worn tyres than new ditch finders... As long as they have good tread and are recently manufactured... But that's not a popular opinion on here either!

I bought a pair the other day. Got two DOT2016 part worn Michelin's with 8MM tread and an RRP of £180 a pair, for £50 off of an ex demo VW... 30 quid cheaper than a pair of ditchfinders.

Caporegime
I don't go on price as such, I go on a site like tyreleader, filter on premium/quality tyres, and then choose based on review sites like tyrereviews.co.uk and price/performance.

Cheap decent tyres include Kuhmo KU39's, Uniroyal Rainsport 3's, Falken ZE914's, Yokohama V105, etc.

Soldato
I don't go on price as such, I go on a site like tyreleader, filter on premium/quality tyres, and then choose based on review sites like tyrereviews.co.uk and price/performance.

Cheap decent tyres include Kuhmo KU39's, Uniroyal Rainsport 3's, Falken ZE914's, Yokohama V105, etc.
Falken ZE914 cheap enough at £53 to £55. Found some others with decent review called Barum Brillantis 2, £35.
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Barum/Brillantis-2.htm

Soldato
Got ZE914s on the vRS at the moment, as they were already on it.

They'll spin up in 2nd gear in the dry.

They'll be coming off soon.

I imagine they're better than the Barum offering mind you.

Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance are good tyres at £54 fitted in that size on Blackcircles. Was very pleased with those when I had them on the Golf.

Caporegime
@Kenai, how did you find the ZE914's for cornering? I had them on my old Corolla and I thought they were pretty decent, but the engine had zero torque, unlike a 2.0T. That said I never noticed them spinning up in the wet either.

Soldato
@Kenai, how did you find the ZE914's for cornering? I had them on my old Corolla and I thought they were pretty decent, but the engine had zero torque, unlike a 2.0T. That said I never noticed them spinning up in the wet either.
Not really tried pushing them in corners given how easily they break traction in a straight line :p

Soldato
I
Money is a bit tight at the moment, or rather needs conserving and I need a couple of 195/65/R15 tyres for my Peugeot 307. Kwik-Fit, Blackcircles and National Tyres all have their own cheap brands around £42. My yearly mileage has always been about 10k and is less now. Generally don't drive fast and do 45 to 90 mile round trips on the A1 or M1 once or twice most weekends. I've always used cheap tyres between £40 and £60 and they've been fine. I'm aware braking distances are longer in the wet. Does anyone here use them or will I be thrown to the sharks for even considering them?

I replaced the fronts on my fiesta from Conti Premium 2's to Dunlop Sport bluResponse, was going to get the Efficientgrip but they couldn't get them in when I needed the tyres doing. The ones around £55 should be fine. Dunlop, continental, Michele etc.

Can say they've been really good in the rain/wet A roads.

Caporegime
Just be glad you don't have tyres that are over £200 a corner. We are talking an extra £60-80 here for 4 tyres - invest in your safety by going for good tyres !

Soldato
Well guys, my car is currently having its MOT. I've been to a couple of tyre places beforehand to see what tyres they have. Neither have the Falken ZE914. One has the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance for about £73 Inc vat and fit. I've also been offered a Marshal MH12 £55 inc vat and fit, and Avon ZV5 91V £60. Apparently both quite decent. Anyone know these tyres? The bloke in the shop says the Marshal is a mid range, and I think it's made by Kuhmo. The Avon seems to have good reviews.

Soldato
Try going somewhere that isn't going to rip you off, the Goodyears are freely available at £55, if they will only do you some budget brand for that money, find somewhere else. Just use black circles and pick a garage through that.

Soldato
Yes you're right, I found it for £55 online price at Blackcircles and National Tyres and was about to finish booking it at a local garage. But earliest was Wednesday. I honestly couldn't be bothered to wait.

So I went to my usual tyre place. I ended up with a Conti Premium Contact. Second hand mind but plenty of tread, looked like new and £32.50 fitted. Now I know you're going to release the sharks. But hey, it's only one tyre on the nearside rear.

Back
Top Bottom