**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
I need 4 new tyres for the mx5, currently have conti contact sports fitted but all 4 just about to touch the limit indicator.

The enthusiast forums give lots of favourable reviews to Khumo KU39s, they need ordering in but black circles are putting 4 on next week and at £79 per corner fitted it's £200 cheaper than exact replacements.

Time will tell.

Man of Honour
budget kings

Like the T1, Falken FK452 and other cheap tyres owners forums love to think are amazing because they are cheaper than decent tyres.

It's been out years now, came almost bottom in the 2010 and 2012 Evo tyre tests and they've given up including them since.

Soldato
I'm looking to soon get some new tyres for my Peugeot 208 GTI. The size is 205/45/R17 and the stock tyres are Michalin Pilot Exaltos, I've had the car since February and the spare tyre is worn below the legal limit and the front right tyre is a budget Landsails one.

So I'm thinking of replacing two (keep the Landsails as a spare) with Michelin Pilot Sport 3, 4 or Super Sport. I've also heard good things about F1 Asymmetrics and Continental Contacts.

I was going to use Asda Tyres or BlackCircles and have them fitted. I want them for normal driving but I like to blast good B roads so want the grip. Ideally I would like to be able to use them in the winter but I probably won't drive them that much if it's really cold I can just use my van.

Thanks.

Associate
Went from Conti sport contact 3's which were a cracking tyre, to KU39's on the Mrs fiesta. Worst possible tyre choice I've made and I've been vocal on the Mx5 owners club with anyone suggesting they're anywhere near a premium tyre manufacturer

Soldato
Just a heads up - Michelin Pilot Sport 4 AO 245/40/18s are on at the Rainforest for a mere £112.27 each! That is about £30/tyre cheaper then anywhere else.

Soldato
Went from Conti sport contact 3's which were a cracking tyre, to KU39's on the Mrs fiesta. Worst possible tyre choice I've made and I've been vocal on the Mx5 owners club with anyone suggesting they're anywhere near a premium tyre manufacturer

The thing is that just because a certain tyre feels 'pants' on one car does not mean it won't feel absolutely 'amazing' on another. So many factors at play. Prime example being - Michelin PS2 on the Golf GTi were beyond terrible and on an M3 absolutely fantastic!

Soldato
So running M Pilot Super Sports in the British winter. How bad would that be for days when it's coldish? I don't really wanna switch my new tyres to something else just for 4-6months.

If it's ever really cold like 0C I can use my van instead.

Soldato
So running M Pilot Super Sports in the British winter. How bad would that be for days when it's coldish? I don't really wanna switch my new tyres to something else just for 4-6months.

If it's ever really cold like 0C I can use my van instead.

So a couple of years back on my e92 M3 I had switched back to my MPSS all round from my winter tyres. It was April time and one early morning the temp was sitting at 1-2C despite the days getting up to 12-13C. Anyway, going round roundabouts it felt like I was driving on ice (this was comparing them to full winters of course)! They don't feel particularly confidence inspiring in the cold and wet combo either! Above about 5-6C they are absolutely fine.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
There are better multi purpose tyres (even for "summer focused) than the mpss, especially for the money. It has been discussed to death in this thread even. The mpss are not great in the wet.

Soldato
There are better multi purpose tyres (even for "summer focused) than the mpss, especially for the money. It has been discussed to death in this thread even. The mpss are not great in the wet.

He doesn't want to change his tyres...I think he just wanted to know how bad they are in the cold.

If you do want to change to anything get the MPS4S - absolutely awesome in the rain and excellent in the dry too!

Associate
What specifically is so bad about them?

Wet weather performance, in the dry they honestly weren't too bad and when it rained they weren't ditchfinders, but they weren't in the same league as the sport contact 3's at all after being told they were just as good but cheaper.

The thing is that just because a certain tyre feels 'pants' on one car does not mean it won't feel absolutely 'amazing' on another. So many factors at play. Prime example being - Michelin PS2 on the Golf GTi were beyond terrible and on an M3 absolutely fantastic!

While I don't doubt some tyres work better at different sizes and feel different on alternative cars, these were a fairly standard 205/45 17 fitted to a few warm hatches. I'm no expert so I can only go from what I've experienced first hand, with the consensus for me being they're a hugely talked about tyre because of their cheaper price offering good value. Still, I'd take a Uniroyal Rainsport over them if I was to choose a midrange tyre, even if the sidewalls are horrendously soft!

Back
Top Bottom