**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Associate
Any suggestions of a reasonable cost for the below, it's a bit convoluted!

I had a set of 18s on the car when I bought it, they were massively corroded and being split rim wheels a pig to refurbish.

I purchased some other OEM 18s, same width and same tyre size. The wheels are much better but the tyres are less so.

The tyres on the original wheels are F1A3s, and reasonably new. Worst one has around 6.5mm tread. New wheels are Pirelli P7 with 6mm tread.

How much would I be looking at to have the tyres swapped over and the wheels currently on the car rebalanced? Not sure of whether or not I should swap the pirellis onto the old wheels for selling, I assume it would be easier than selling them in two batches but let's assume for now it's just a one way movement.

Summary! Remove 2 sets of tyres from 2 sets of wheels, refit one set of tyres to one set of wheels including rebalancing.

Man of Honour
Any suggestions of a reasonable cost for the below, it's a bit convoluted!

I had a set of 18s on the car when I bought it, they were massively corroded and being split rim wheels a pig to refurbish.

I purchased some other OEM 18s, same width and same tyre size. The wheels are much better but the tyres are less so.

The tyres on the original wheels are F1A3s, and reasonably new. Worst one has around 6.5mm tread. New wheels are Pirelli P7 with 6mm tread.

How much would I be looking at to have the tyres swapped over and the wheels currently on the car rebalanced? Not sure of whether or not I should swap the pirellis onto the old wheels for selling, I assume it would be easier than selling them in two batches but let's assume for now it's just a one way movement.

Summary! Remove 2 sets of tyres from 2 sets of wheels, refit one set of tyres to one set of wheels including rebalancing.

Depends on the tyre place, I'd expect somewhere around £10-15 a corner though

Soldato
Oh thats fine, only 2.5 years old and a fairly recent tyre. I was worried they had sold you one of the original ones! :)

Yes 0515 = 5th week of 2015.

Phew! Thought I was going to get hung, drawn and quartered for buying an old model second hand tyre and potentially several years old! :D I thought 0515 might have been May 2015 but you've told me it's the 5th week, so now I know. :)

Soldato
Don't fit crap internet hero tyres to a 640d. Do it properly - personally this is the problem with 20 inch wheels, not only do they ruin the ride but they also inflate the tyre costs. I'd rather have the 19's with a set of decent tyres.

I remember when it was "stick with the standard 17s, the optional 18s ruin the ride", then it was "stick with the standard 18s, the optional 19s ruin the ride". Now we seem to be on the cusp of the next 'increment'.

Man of Honour
I remember when it was "stick with the standard 17s, the optional 18s ruin the ride", then it was "stick with the standard 18s, the optional 19s ruin the ride". Now we seem to be on the cusp of the next 'increment'.

The 19s on my F10 have more sidewall height than the 18s on my E39.

It's therefore not surprising that as a new generation of car gets released going up a she in wheel doesn't necessarily degrade the ride in the way you seem to think it might.

Soldato
The 19s on my F10 have more sidewall height than the 18s on my E39.

It's therefore not surprising that as a new generation of car gets released going up a she in wheel doesn't necessarily degrade the ride in the way you seem to think it might.

I didn't say I subscribed to the theory, in fact I know full well that wheel size doesn't directly correlate with ride comfort. My point was how the nay-sayers have been claiming it does for years.

Man of Honour
I didn't say I subscribed to the theory, in fact I know full well that wheel size doesn't directly correlate with ride comfort. My point was how the nay-sayers have been claiming it does for years.

They are generally right though? Just because a particular size ruins the ride quality of a certain car doesn't mean the same size wheel will on a future version.

Soldato
Well there are many other factors which contribute to ride comfort but yes, all other things being equal, a larger diameter wheel with a lower profile tyre will produce a harder ride.

I think the point I was trying to make is that it's not a case of a specific wheel size will be ok whereas a larger one won't and, as you say, it depends on the car. This is the kind of thing I used to hear all the time - when 17s were the norm then people would claim that any car fitted with 18s would have a crap ride, then when 18s became the norm they'd shift their advice to claim all 19s would have a crap ride and so forth. In reality a car on 20s could have a better ride than another on 17s.

Soldato
I think people whine about it way too much, I ran a car on 19" and 35 profiles which had 16" on the base model. The ride was perfectly comfortable, not offensive at all.

Man of Honour
I think people whine about it way too much, I ran a car on 19" and 35 profiles which had 16" on the base model. The ride was perfectly comfortable, not offensive at all.

Mine are 35 profiles and are fine. I've also driven cars with 19 inch wheels on 30 profiles which are less fine.

It's all about the sidewall height not the rim size.

I bet the ride in a John Deere is lovely... how big are the wheels? :D

Back
Top Bottom