**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
So... tyres are confusing. My Z4 35iS currently has run-flat Bridgestone Potenza RE050As all round. Rear is 255/30R19 and front is 225/35R19.

The rears need replacing after 12,000 miles. I don't drive gently and I'm happy to replace them after this mileage.

However, the car feels a bit skittish when it's cold and many other owners say this goes away when changing to non run flat, decent tyres. Not to mention a slightly nicer ride and less road noise.This probably means replacing all four.

So that leaves the question of which tyres to replace them with? The following is taken from black circles:

- Michelin Pilot Sport 4S: 2x front @ £189ea, 2x rear @ £223ea = £784 (including £40 off promo)
- Continental Sport Contact 6: 2x front @ £157ea, 2x rear @ £199ea = £711
- Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3: 2x front @£138ea, 2x rear @ £181ea = £639

I believe the F1A3 is a much older tyre than the other two? Is it still a good tyre by today's standards? Is it £150 worse than the 4S? Are the 4Ss £70 better than the CSC6? I've read reviews and have ended up more confused than when I started. Apparently the Pilot Sport 4 is worse than the CSC6... hence the PS4S? They're all brands that know their stuff when it comes to tyres... so will it make any more difference than a bigger hole in my wallet?

It'd really appreciate it if someone could just breakdown my three options (or suggest another) and tell me what to buy :p I've spent the entire evening at my PC and have had enough...

Current rears are at 2mm so need replacing soonish. Fronts still have ~5mm, but if I'm going to change to non-RFT I'll just buy them all now and maybe try and flog my part worn fronts.

Thanks for any help.
For me it would be the Michelin. I've nothing but praise for them generally, whether it's performance or longevity. I'd avoid the Conti, great performance but IME wear very quickly compared to Michelin.

Soldato
So... tyres are confusing. My Z4 35iS currently has run-flat Bridgestone Potenza RE050As all round. Rear is 255/30R19 and front is 225/35R19.

The rears need replacing after 12,000 miles. I don't drive gently and I'm happy to replace them after this mileage.

However, the car feels a bit skittish when it's cold and many other owners say this goes away when changing to non run flat, decent tyres. Not to mention a slightly nicer ride and less road noise.This probably means replacing all four.

So that leaves the question of which tyres to replace them with? The following is taken from black circles:

- Michelin Pilot Sport 4S: 2x front @ £189ea, 2x rear @ £223ea = £784 (including £40 off promo)
- Continental Sport Contact 6: 2x front @ £157ea, 2x rear @ £199ea = £711
- Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3: 2x front @£138ea, 2x rear @ £181ea = £639

I believe the F1A3 is a much older tyre than the other two? Is it still a good tyre by today's standards? Is it £150 worse than the 4S? Are the 4Ss £70 better than the CSC6? I've read reviews and have ended up more confused than when I started. Apparently the Pilot Sport 4 is worse than the CSC6... hence the PS4S? They're all brands that know their stuff when it comes to tyres... so will it make any more difference than a bigger hole in my wallet?

It'd really appreciate it if someone could just breakdown my three options (or suggest another) and tell me what to buy :p I've spent the entire evening at my PC and have had enough...

Current rears are at 2mm so need replacing soonish. Fronts still have ~5mm, but if I'm going to change to non-RFT I'll just buy them all now and maybe try and flog my part worn fronts.

Thanks for any help.

I've got the same predicament.

I can get the Goodyear Eagle F1A3's for £130 for fronts, whereas the Michelins are nearly £200. I like Michelin tyres in general and the Pilot Super Sports were the best tyres I used, but £70 more per corner is pretty mad, considering the Goodyear is up there with the best of them. I wish they did the Pilot Sport 4 in the size I want :( that'd be a perfect middle ground for me.

Soldato

I can get the Goodyear Eagle F1A3's for £130 for fronts, whereas the Michelins are nearly £200. I like Michelin tyres in general and the Pilot Super Sports were the best tyres I used, but £70 more per corner is pretty mad, considering the Goodyear is up there with the best of them. I wish they did the Pilot Sport 4 in the size I want :( that'd be a perfect middle ground for me.

I'm in exactly the same situation as you. ~£70/tyre difference between the AS3 and PS4S, and they don't make PS4 in my size. Most frustrating :(

Associate
I need two new tyres for my MK6 Fiesta 1.4 and was looking at the Uniroyal RainExpert 3, are these any good? Camskills have them for 30 each in my size.

I am also not sure if I should change all 4 or if I would be wasting money. The two rears have good tread depth but are mismatching and old, one a 2013 Toyo Nanoenergy 3 and the other a 2010 Goodyear Duragrip, if I only changed two these would become my front tyres.

Soldato
I need two new tyres for my MK6 Fiesta 1.4 and was looking at the Uniroyal RainExpert 3, are these any good? Camskills have them for 30 each in my size.

I am also not sure if I should change all 4 or if I would be wasting money. The two rears have good tread depth but are mismatching and old, one a 2013 Toyo Nanoenergy 3 and the other a 2010 Goodyear Duragrip, if I only changed two these would become my front tyres.

If you only changed two you would ask the tyre guy if he could very kindly swap the front and rear wheels for you so that the fresh stuff is on the back.

Man of Honour
Got to put 4 tyres on the wife's MX5 this week. She has continentals on the car at the moment, so thinking of sticking the latest versions of those onto the car but anyone running an MX5 M3/3.5 recommend anything else to consider. Cars seems to get on fine with Conti's.

Soldato
New Bridgestones arrived and fitted. Much better than the Continentals it had on front before....

Pic of comically large tyre and cat. Apparently they are stock fit for the Aston Martin Rapide according to the label.... lol

2dvuig.jpg

Associate
Got to put 4 tyres on the wife's MX5 this week. She has continentals on the car at the moment, so thinking of sticking the latest versions of those onto the car but anyone running an MX5 M3/3.5 recommend anything else to consider. Cars seems to get on fine with Conti's.

I've loved the Yokohama V105's I've had on mine. Gripped really well, done 3 trackdays, bit of curborough and a general hard life of 13000 miles so far and they've got around 3.5 - 4mm left, so they don't wear terribly.

Man of Honour
Alright so it's time to order new rear tyres having recently fitted new fronts with PS 4S.

My current sizes are 235/35 (front) and 265/30 (rear). This size is the standard CSL size. I kept that size when getting new tyres last time because they were actually cheaper than the non CSL size of 225/40 (F) and 255/35 (R).

Looking at Camskill (cheapest so far), the PS 4S is actually cheaper by £18 a tyre if I go back to non CSL size.

Question is, although I probably know the answer anyway, would there be any issue running the rears at standard size. My guess is no, the little extra bit of tyre surface on the front would just enhance steering handling (noticeable or otherwise).

Or maybe I should just stick to 265/30 for the sake of £36?

Associate

Well thanks for your comments guys. Got four new F1A3s fitted yesterday by Kwik Fit and they’re a massive difference. No more uncertainty in the colder weather like the run flats, and a junction I drive daily that always gave me wheel spin is now no longer an issue.

To their credit Kwik Fit were really good. I have one 30 seconds from my flat so went in to see what their price was. Was the same as black circles, but when I was unsure about it the guy knocked another £10 off each tyre. Turned out my branch wouldn’t get the tyres for a few days so we set up the mobile service and they waived the morning slot fee for the “inconvenience”.

Guy turned up on time. Gave me a ring when he was 10 minutes away. Was friendly, professional, interested in the car and was careful. 50 minutes later all four wheels had the runflats off (apparently a ball ache to take off) and the new ones on. Alloys are as pristine as they were before and overall I’m very happy. I know they get a bad rep sometimes but they did a great job for me this time.

Back
Top Bottom