**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Associate
I hate to think what you was running before if replacing the fronts has given you a 10% fuel saving..

It was a pair of kumho, don't know the model, that came with the car.

They're Yokohamas...they'll last about 45 minutes before they're worn out!

They grip well but wear fast because they're made out of blu-tac.

Haha I suspected that'd be the case as you can't have the best of everything!

Associate
I struggled to find nice tyres for the original 14" wheels on my old Honda, they are 195/60 R14. In the end I decided to have a set of Vredestein Quatrac 5's fitted. They are nice and quiet, all I need is a little rain to see what they are like. Oh, they are worryingly cheap though.

Soldato
Was hoping they'd release the 4s in 18's by now but I'm rapidly approaching new tyres so looks like it'll be the PS4 for me (bit frustrating given its a focus he uses in the video above!)

Soldato
Got my PS4's fitted yesterday, do they need bedding in? it was a bit damp on the roads and it was wheel spinning all over the place when i put abit of power down. Concerning as they are meant to be a fabulous Tyre in the wet all running correct pressures.

Soldato
All tyres are a bit slippy until they lose the protective film over the tread, usually a couple of hundred miles.

Having said that, whilst they'll be really good in the wet they'll still obviously break traction under hard acceleration etc

Sgarrista
Commissario
Got my PS4's fitted yesterday, do they need bedding in? it was a bit damp on the roads and it was wheel spinning all over the place when i put abit of power down. Concerning as they are meant to be a fabulous Tyre in the wet all running correct pressures.

Took me about 400 miles for them to fully scrub in.

Soldato
Really boring one for you all, wife's car needs new tyres the car is a Seat Leon 1.2tsi 205/55 r16.

So far thinking Dunlop Blue response which took it to 20k or Michelin primacy 4?

Associate
Newbie here ..looking for opinions to consider.

Used to run Michelin Energy Saver 5+ years back on a mini and Audi R4 cabrio was Goodyear Eagle F1.

Circumstance change I changed vehicles and put Dunlop Blusport response (185 60 15) on a Vauxhall 2yrs ago £200 all 4 and fitted. May 2018 they were all OK with 5mm tread rear and 3mm front, I'm a bit ocd with right tyre pressure.
But few days ago noticed rear ones cracking and with hot weather we had they were horrible to drive in, far too soft. I've never really had issues with Snow we've had as I never put foot down and as I've 2 kids in the car I don't over do it.
I'm mostly school run but I do live in Yorkshire countryside and every 6 weeks drive to London.

A supposed car enthusiasts said I should change for all season tyres.

But looking at pricing at my nearest tyre centre, going on Fuel & wet grading (I always look at C upwards) is now bit out of my budget.

Anyone recommend good grade 185 60 15. 84H
Or good advice when visit tyre shop as a worker at a tyre place was trying to push Michelin crossclimate at £78 each, so I left. Bit over welmed with jargon. My budget is £65 max per tyre.

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't think you even get them in 235/40 - but they'd be around £200 a corner rather than £125 in any case which i'm really not into, especially driving around central scotland where there's every chance they'll spend 75%+ of their time in the rain

The new Evo tyre test is out which sticks the PS4(s) at the top followed by both the AS3 and Dunlop (which I have now). It's wear that i'm particularly annoyed about with the Dunlop so if that's the only area of real tangible improvement I will still be fairly happy

Soldato
Really boring one for you all, wife's car needs new tyres the car is a Seat Leon 1.2tsi 205/55 r16.

So far thinking Dunlop Blue response which took it to 20k or Michelin primacy 4?

I'd probably get the Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance. Heard mixed opinions about the new Primacy. The Dunlop Blu Response is a good option too.

Soldato
Newbie here ..looking for opinions to consider.

Used to run Michelin Energy Saver 5+ years back on a mini and Audi R4 cabrio was Goodyear Eagle F1.

Circumstance change I changed vehicles and put Dunlop Blusport response (185 60 15) on a Vauxhall 2yrs ago £200 all 4 and fitted. May 2018 they were all OK with 5mm tread rear and 3mm front, I'm a bit ocd with right tyre pressure.
But few days ago noticed rear ones cracking and with hot weather we had they were horrible to drive in, far too soft. I've never really had issues with Snow we've had as I never put foot down and as I've 2 kids in the car I don't over do it.
I'm mostly school run but I do live in Yorkshire countryside and every 6 weeks drive to London.

A supposed car enthusiasts said I should change for all season tyres.

But looking at pricing at my nearest tyre centre, going on Fuel & wet grading (I always look at C upwards) is now bit out of my budget.

Anyone recommend good grade 185 60 15. 84H
Or good advice when visit tyre shop as a worker at a tyre place was trying to push Michelin crossclimate at £78 each, so I left. Bit over welmed with jargon. My budget is £65 max per tyre.

Thanks

I'd forget all season tyres. In some countries there's an argument for them (not a good one, but one none the less) but not in a temperate climate like ours IMO. They have tried to make a standard tyre marginally better in very cold/snow conditions and in doing so, heavily compromised the performance, feel and longevity of the tyre in the vast vast vast majority of the miles it'll do (moderately warm dry and wet conditions)

Get a high quality summer tyre and you'll be fine 99.9% of the time. I'd consider, as above, Conti Premium Contact 5, Goodyear Efficient Grip Peformance or Dunlop Blu Response.

Man of Honour
I am looking for new tyres for my Focus ST, mainly as it has budgets on and we're approaching the colder and wetter months. They are 19's so PS4S are quite pricey, I assume Goodyear F1A3 would be a decent alternate? It's doing roughly 400 miles a week on back roads.

Don
Get a high quality summer tyre and you'll be fine 99.9% of the time. I'd consider, as above, Conti Premium Contact 5, Goodyear Efficient Grip Peformance or Dunlop Blu Response.

Having had all 3 between my two current cars (albeit in 2 different 16" sizes), the Conti's wear too quickly, Efficient Grip Performance are decent although the soft sidewall "feels" wrong, and the Blu Response are probably the best in the dry (but aren't anything special in the wet).

Michelin Primacy 3 was also a decent enough tyre - excellent longevity and wet performance, however not quite as good as any of the above 3 in the dry (although as a couple of posts above, the Primacy 4 is now available)

Back
Top Bottom