**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Neither of those tyres are available in the size, the credible tyres are just as listed really :) Might just go CS5, had them before and seemed to wear well. My memories of AS3s in the past was that they were good, but wore badly.
Times have changed! CS6 wear rate is appalling, F1A5s are on par with Michelin now.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Aye I know, but they're both ancient. Is there really nothing other than PS4S in this size? What's it going on?
I'd take the boggo PS4 over the CS5..
Its Porsche Cayenne used (as i imagine 99% are) as a normal road car. The tyre range in the large size that these cars use tends to contain a lot of 4x4 all terrain style tyres, hence the lack of regular UHP choice.

I think most people agree it probably isnt worth near £300/each for the PS4S, i'll just go with the Continentals i think.

Caporegime
Sadly Jez I will be in the same boat as you shortly, in fact worse in my case. Despite it only being a 120mph top speed hybrid diesel, Mercedes for some reason have put 285/40R22 on the front and 325/35R22 on the rears.

PS4s for the fronts would be £342 and for the rears they would be £361

Even Continental Contacts will be £275 a corner

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Sadly Jez I will be in the same boat as you shortly, in fact worse in my case. Despite it only being a 120mpg hybrid diesel, Mercedes for some reason have put 285/40R22 on the front and 325/35R22 on the rears.

PS4s for the fronts would be £342 and for the rears they would be £361

Even Continental Contacts will be £275 a corner
Ha, what car is that? (GLS or something?) I thought that my 295/35/21 all round were quite large, but yours take the biscuit!

Caporegime
Ha, what car is that? (GLS or something?) I thought that my 295/35/21 all round were quite large, but yours take the biscuit!

Nope, its the GLE. But Mercedes have removed all options now, its just packs - excutive, premium and premium plus.

Executive - 20" wheels
Premium 21" wheels
Premium Plus 22" wheels with wider wheels at the back.

Even if you get the slowest 4 pot diesel i think you get 325/35r22 rears if you want premium plus spec. I only wanted premium plus for the drivers assistance package, panoramic sunroof and upgraded stereo. Would have been more than happy enough to have 20" wheels all round.

Madness.

I am even considering buying a set of normal 19" or 20" for using winter tyres on as looking cheaper than buying a set for the 22" ones. I think when I looked they come out at £475 a corner for decent winter tyres on the merc. I can buy a set of 19" genuines Merc alloys with winter tyres fitted for just over £2k.

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
That is mad, i am sure that the 22s look quite nice, but yes those tyre prices are stupid. The Cayenne is available all the way down to 18" wheels, one of my neighbours has one on them, it looks a little stupid on them, but i bet his tyre prices are reasonable and has a comfy ride on such massive sidewalls!

Caporegime
That is mad, i am sure that the 22s look quite nice, but yes those tyre prices are stupid. The Cayenne is available all the way down to 18" wheels, one of my neighbours has one on them, it looks a little stupid on them, but i bet his tyre prices are reasonable and has a comfy ride on such massive sidewalls!

Yeah ride comfort would be much better on 20" alloys and like you say, probably £200 a corner cheaper on tyres too!

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I must say though, and i say this without knowing what sort of suspension you have, the reason for choosing the Cayenne is that i wanted an SUV which rides like an S-Class, and it does even on the 21s. I'm not sure that downgrading the wheels would be much improvement for me as it just glides over everything. The lane is rough here too.

22's, do you have airmatic? If not i would definitely be thinking twice about those!

Caporegime
I must say though, and i say this without knowing what sort of suspension you have, the reason for choosing the Cayenne is that i wanted an SUV which rides like an S-Class, and it does even on the 21s. I'm not sure that downgrading the wheels would be much improvement for me as it just glides over everything. The lane is rough here too.

22's, do you have airmatic? If not i would definitely be thinking twice about those!

Airmatic is standard and I took a premium plus model on a one hour test drive on the 22" tyres and it does indeed glide over everything. Still think the 20" wheels would be comfier and less likely to damage over pot holes. I have killed two 20" alloy rims over the years on the rough country roads where I live. Not much give in the 22" tyres.

I think i resent the price of tyres more than anything else!

We have a direct tyre account with Michelins and can get them dirt cheap but even michelin dont make (winter) tyres that fit the Merc!

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I guess winter tyres are not on my radar (minimal snow here, i can live with the odd day every few years!), definitely for a second set get some smaller ones :)

I'd not paid attention to tyre prices, understandable that they've gone up, seemingly everything else has too of late.

Caporegime
I guess winter tyres are not on my radar (minimal snow here, i can live with the odd day every few years!), definitely for a second set get some smaller ones :)

I'd not paid attention to tyre prices, understandable that they've gone up, seemingly everything else has too of late.

WHere I live I have known it to be 6" inch of snow and 30 miles away where I work there is no snow. People dont believe me sometimes when I say i cant make it in due to the snow!

But I live really high up, 1000ft above sea level on the east side on some tallish hills (2000 ft) and the clouds tend to come over the hills and dump the snow on us.

We used to hold the records in England for the most snow in a 24 hour period, something stupid over a metre.

We even have a ski resort a couple of miles away!

I find summer tyres even on a 4x4 to be useless in winter.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
I run Pirelli Scorpion Verde on the RR (20" wheels) and they are perfectly fine. I have driven it as hard as I dare down some lanes and the thing will fall over long before I run out of grip on these tyres so I can't imagine UHP tyres offering much more, save perhaps for an emergency stop on a red hot day. I had a look and I couldn't see them in your size but other brand all-season tyres might fit the bill and save you a small fortune?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I run Pirelli Scorpion Verde on the RR (20" wheels) and they are perfectly fine. I have driven it as hard as I dare down some lanes and the thing will fall over long before I run out of grip on these tyres so I can't imagine UHP tyres offering much more, save perhaps for an emergency stop on a red hot day. I had a look and I couldn't see them in your size but other brand all-season tyres might fit the bill and save you a small fortune?
There are some options such as Michelin Latitudes, but they are if anything more expensive than the regular continentals! £190 is about the baseline for anything branded (Well, £150 for Uniroyal Rainsports?). My thoughts on all tyres are about the same as yours with your RR tyres, they all seem just "fine" to me too. :)

Caporegime

Nope. no all season tyres at all in these sizes AFAIK.

You can get pirelli winter ones for £475 each or premium summer tyres. Thats your lot for such wide wheels.

Buying a set of 20" rims is going to be the best option. Opens loads of doors to many different types of tyres. Will put Alpin 5s on for winter, I think i can get them at £176 per corner and then put the 22" rims back on for summer.

at least decent summer tyres arent too bad.

Caporegime
Well @Jez and @Greebo that sounds like an absolute nightmare. Another reason not to get a luxury SUV and stick with humble estates :eek:

Lol its purely because I believe that with recent changes every variation of extras has to go for individual mpg and co2 testing which obviously costs so they are moving to the old days and removing choice and just giving three models like L, GL and GLS and each one comes with its own wheels which you cant change on ordering.

estate cars will be just the same. :p

yep i just checked. The new Merc E estate fixes the wheel sizes as follows

Sport - 17"
Line - 18"
Premium 19"
Premium Plus 20" (245/35 (front) and 275/30 (rear) R 20)

Okay not as bad as the SUV but still forces you to run 20" wheels with larger rears when you might have been quite happy with 19" alloys. But if you want a panoramic roof or upgraded stereo you have to order the premium plus.

Soldato
Had a another Goodyear F1A5 fail early this morning :eek: (3rd overall failure in 3 months :mad: 1 front left slow double puncture, 1 front right tyre cut across the thread pattern & now 1 instant right rear failure!!! only need a rear left for the complete set!!! :p) around 6AM still dark turning a sharp blind corner at low speed 10-15mph bang the tyre let go instantly which was a little scary!

Some hard to see debris was in the road (kerbside paving stone which appears to have glanced the sidewall probably causing the tyre failure). Streetlights were switched off but it was still very dark & headlights did not catch it as hard to see lying in the side of the gutter in the shadows. I went back a few hours later got a picture of the culprit someone else must have hit it as it was now thrown to the side of the road!
sY8abgD.jpg

Anyway got the car to the side of the road somewhere safe (it comes with a full size spare tyre & jacking kit to get you home up to 50mph). Tyre was visibly knackered I tried to pump it up but the air was hissing & I could feel it pouring out of the sidewall onto my fingers. No visible damage whatsoever but after fitting the get you home full size spare I went home then straight to my nearest Kwik Fit as I know those guys & they are very friendly & very helpful...great bunch of people. :)

They put the tyre onto a machine & could not find anything wrong with it but as it had failed on me I had it scrapped and replaced for another brand new.

So now on my 7th Goodyear F1AS5 in 10 months :rolleyes: £800 worth:(

Soldato
Had a another Goodyear F1A5 fail early this morning :eek: (3rd overall failure in 3 months :mad: 1 front left slow double puncture, 1 front right tyre cut across the thread pattern & now 1 instant right rear failure!!! only need a rear left for the complete set!!! :p) around 6AM still dark turning a sharp blind corner at low speed 10-15mph bang the tyre let go instantly which was a little scary!

Some hard to see debris was in the road (kerbside paving stone which appears to have glanced the sidewall probably causing the tyre failure). Streetlights were switched off but it was still very dark & headlights did not catch it as hard to see lying in the side of the gutter in the shadows. I went back a few hours later got a picture of the culprit someone else must have hit it as it was now thrown to the side of the road!
sY8abgD.jpg

Anyway got the car to the side of the road somewhere safe (it comes with a full size spare tyre & jacking kit to get you home up to 50mph). Tyre was visibly knackered I tried to pump it up but the air was hissing & I could feel it pouring out of the sidewall onto my fingers. No visible damage whatsoever but after fitting the get you home full size spare I went home then straight to my nearest Kwik Fit as I know those guys & they are very friendly & very helpful...great bunch of people. :)

They put the tyre onto a machine & could not find anything wrong with it but as it had failed on me I had it scrapped and replaced for another brand new.

So now on my 7th Goodyear F1AS5 in 10 months :rolleyes: £800 worth:(
Blimey.

Back
Top Bottom