**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
This morning was the first proper snow test of the CC2s on my 640d and I'm glad to say that they got me home. The last time it snowed I couldn't get up the hill less than a mile away from home and that was with the UHP summers. However I will admit that it wasn't all complete grip, there where a few moments where grip was lost, particularly when coming off the main road on to an lesser treated slip road. A few traction control lights coming on while going up the hill as well but nowhere near what it was like with the summers tyres.

Soldato
AFAIK there are very few star marked winter tyres for the x5 and BMW dealers will happily sell you winter alloys with non starred winter tyres on so don't know how that works. I am currently running non offset winter alloys with none starred winter tyres on them on my x5. A BMW dealer will sell you General Grabber AT3 wheels and tyres and I am pretty sure they dont come in bmw * format.

Smells fishy to me on the transfer box.

* marked BMW tyres are definitely different to normal tyres and they have performance differences but first time I have heard that not fitting them means your transfer box will destroy itself. You only have to check ebay for bmw wheels with winter tyres on to see that every conceivable winter tyre has been fitted to x5s at some point, and a lot of them arent runflats either.

Much obliged, good thinking re: winter tyres.

I'm inclined to very much agree...

Man of Honour
Seeing a few videos from places like Gloucestershire over the last couple of days popping up - seeing 4x4s sliding around on snow/ice on worn budget tyres is just LOL.

Sadly can't link due to the language.

Last edited:
Associate
Seeing a few videos from places like Gloucestershire over the last couple of days popping up - seeing 4x4s sliding around on snow/ice on worn budget tyres is just LOL.

I got trapped in this chaos trying to get away from Gloucester, I was travelling back from my Father's north of Hereford and wanted to get to Andover, but the timing was just awful as the snow hit the Gloucester area so fast.

My normal route takes me past an area called Birdlip which has a high elevation so can get hit with snow very badly and unfortunately they ended up closing the road (A417), ended up just queueing trying to turn around and head for the M5, that took me a couple of hours only to get stuck on the M5 itself for another 2 hours due to multiple accidents that happened earlier! Some people just cannot drive in snow. What should have be a journey taking me 2.5 hours ended up be just over 6 hours!

I saw some 4x4s struggling when they really shouldn't be, most people just putting their foot down spinning their wheels instead of taking it easy. Was my first time with my Audi + Quattro and was pleasantly surprised how the rear wheels kicked into action the moment any slippage was detected on the front wheels (haldex system).

Kinda want to see those videos you mention though :D

Man of Honour
I'm not sure all the videos are from the last few days judging by some of the comments - though some clips have recent numberplates.

Man of Honour

But part worns are cheap.
I got trapped in this chaos trying to get away from Gloucester, I was travelling back from my Father's north of Hereford and wanted to get to Andover, but the timing was just awful as the snow hit the Gloucester area so fast.

My normal route takes me past an area called Birdlip which has a high elevation so can get hit with snow very badly and unfortunately they ended up closing the road (A417), ended up just queueing trying to turn around and head for the M5, that took me a couple of hours only to get stuck on the M5 itself for another 2 hours due to multiple accidents that happened earlier! Some people just cannot drive in snow. What should have be a journey taking me 2.5 hours ended up be just over 6 hours!

I saw some 4x4s struggling when they really shouldn't be, most people just putting their foot down spinning their wheels instead of taking it easy. Was my first time with my Audi + Quattro and was pleasantly surprised how the rear wheels kicked into action the moment any slippage was detected on the front wheels (haldex system).

Kinda want to see those videos you mention though :D
I was coming the other way, from Swindon way. Took around 2h to get through. Abandoned cars all over the place.

Soldato
If the weather like these extremes in summer and winter are going to be the norm then we're going to have to adapt.

Going by that video of people struggling in Gloucester I imagine there being a run on all season or winter tyres next year. It just takes one bad experience for you want cover your backside.

Man of Honour
Does anyone with all season tyres regret fitting them?

No, but if I was less lazy (or rather had a more convenient setup for being able to service my vehicles at home) I'd just have 2 different sets of wheels for all my vehicles and change them more often as appropriate. Though it is only the budget tyres on the Qashqai I've had any issues with in colder weather so far. In what we've had so far (-6C at worst, minimal ice and only about 0.5cm of snow at the worst) the Bridgestone t005s even cope fine let alone the all seasons.

Soldato
My recently purchased E70 X5 has ditch finders on every corner so obviously looking to get them off asap.

Hadn't realised before I purchased the car, caveat emptor an all that, that BMW recommend "star" rated tyres which I'd never heard of prior. Especially important on staggered set ups, like mine, due to transfer box wear/grinding - apparently.

Now I will say that there's none of that present in 250 miles of driving with the non-star marked tyres currently, and I'd much prefer to throw some Michelin Latitude 3s on all four corners than P Zero star, as they're runflats (as are all the star marked ratings), and I'll do anything to avoid runflats unless, of course, it's going to damage the car.

I seem to be going round in circles online with some folk suggesting it's absolutely fine to not have star rated, whilst others saying your transfer box will eat itself within ten minutes if you don't get star rated tyres.

Can anyone help or advise please?
Star is just a design tyre to allow them to meet the legal tyre converge with a specified tyre rather than ETRTO standards that can be a max in service like a balloon tyre and mean you have oversize wheel arch body cuts and wheel to body offsets that make the car look like its driving on caster wheels. So using the OEM specified tyres allows a much tighter control as the legal compliance of tyre coverage is met by the handbook specifying a certain tyre.

TLDR :its a geometry thing to make the cars look better out the factory.

Of course that means the control also effects OD and 'maybe' relates to a degree of drivetrain tolerance too.

Soldato
Star is just a design tyre to allow them to meet the legal tyre converge with a specified tyre rather than ETRTO standards that can be a max in service like a balloon tyre and mean you have oversize wheel arch body cuts and wheel to body offsets that make the car look like its driving on caster wheels. So using the OEM specified tyres allows a much tighter control as the legal compliance of tyre coverage is met by the handbook specifying a certain tyre.

TLDR :its a geometry thing to make the cars look better out the factory.

Of course that means the control also effects OD and 'maybe' relates to a degree of drivetrain tolerance too.

A lot of words I don't understand but I think I get the gist of it, thanks @Jonnycoupe!

Soldato
No, but if I was less lazy (or rather had a more convenient setup for being able to service my vehicles at home) I'd just have 2 different sets of wheels for all my vehicles and change them more often as appropriate. Though it is only the budget tyres on the Qashqai I've had any issues with in colder weather so far. In what we've had so far (-6C at worst, minimal ice and only about 0.5cm of snow at the worst) the Bridgestone t005s even cope fine let alone the all seasons.
I thought the Turanza T005 was a summer tyre? Maybe it’s Bridgestones funny number/naming system.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom