**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

~cw

~cw

Associate
Ah, hello PS5 customer. How are you finding them? Currently running PS4 on my ST, PS5 are the de facto offering now it seems, I'll probably struggle to find PS4 stock that's not been lying around for six months at a reasonable price. Few reviews I've read say the driveability and performance of the 5 is broadly on par with 4, but improved wear expectations?

Soldato
Ah, hello PS5 customer. How are you finding them? Currently running PS4 on my ST, PS5 are the de facto offering now it seems, I'll probably struggle to find PS4 stock that's not been lying around for six months at a reasonable price. Few reviews I've read say the driveability and performance of the 5 is broadly on par with 4, but improved wear expectations?
I'll report back as I've only done 2 miles or so. I was expecting a night and day difference to my old Yoko's but the car still has the crabbing issue these 4MATIC's suffer with.

I couldn't get Pilot Sport 4S's in the correct size so the only tyre available was a PS5. I'm not sure whether it is comparable to the PS4 or the PS4S.

~cw

~cw

Associate
I'll report back as I've only done 2 miles or so. I was expecting a night and day difference to my old Yoko's but the car still has the crabbing issue these 4MATIC's suffer with.

I couldn't get Pilot Sport 4S's in the correct size so the only tyre available was a PS5. I'm not sure whether it is comparable to the PS4 or the PS4S.

parroting what I've read and watched online, the PS5 is definitely successor to PS4 in terms of design whereas PS4S is different construction, superior performance at higher wheel sizes and AIUI is more like the follow-up to PSS. Cup 2 is track-focused dry tyre. My experience only goes as far as PS4, I've happily used two sets of them after a couple of sets of Hankook Ventos Evo 2 K120, which in turn were an upgrade from the OEM Bridgestone RE050A on my car (which were horrible).

Man of Honour
I msut admit, I have enjoyed driving around on my proper winter tyres the last coupe of days of -6C temps and icy un gritted roads. Never missed a beat

I've used Bridgestone t005s on several vehicles and they handled temperatures down to 0 and even light ice without missing a beat, started to notice a bit of a difference around -3C or so. Never mind the all-terrain/all-season tyres. The Qashqai came with Nexens on and that is just a big NOPE - even at 6-7C you start to notice the difference, stuck some Avons on as I'm not sure if I'm gonna keep it and they aren't amazing either - can definitely notice they are dropping off in the kind of conditions tonight.

Soldato
My Cross climate 2's have been fantastic in the snow we've had here in Durham so far, temps of -4.5 and lots of ice.
On a very short trip earlier with some test braking to see how much grip there was on roads which looked very icey there seemed like a reasonable amount.

I’m not going to try and find out where the limit is and still drive very very carefully as ice is horrible but definitely more grip available than a summer tyre.

Lucky as it’s been below freezing since Wednesday and looks to be through all of this coming week until Friday/Saturday when the snow might thaw - currently all semi melted/compacted into ice in all the shadows.

Yesterday in the snow and slush the difference is incredible. Can almost ignore that it’s snow on the road and just treat it as if it’s heavily raining.

Almost brand new CC+ on the car this winter (1-2k max on them) after wearing out the previous set of CC+ fitted in 2018.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I never realised Michelin had marketed Cross Climates as "winter tyres for the summer". They are literally all seasons. Don't kill yourself guys.

to be fair, in tests, CC2 beat some budget winter tyres and even against the best winter tyres, they may not beat them but braking distances and stuff, its more a case of stopping distances are only a metre or two behind compared with tens of metres like a summer tyre is.

I would say CC2 offer you 95% of a winter tyre performance.

Last edited:
Soldato
to be fair, in tests, CC2 beat some budget winter tyres and even against winter tyres, they may not beat them but braking distances and stuff, its more a case of stopping ditances are only a metre or two behind compared with tens of metres like a summer tyre is.

I would say CC2 offer you 95% of a winter tyre performance.
I don't doubt they perform well against a summer tyre, but on reading some of the reviews (someone linked to them in GD) they seem to be marketed as something All Seasons aren't. And they aren't cheap either so not fair to compare to budgets?

Caporegime
I don't doubt they perform well against a summer tyre, but on reading some of the reviews (someone linked to them in GD) they seem to be marketed as something All Seasons aren't. And they aren't cheap either so not fair to compare to budgets?
I sort of see what you are saying about how they are marketed but in reviews against winter tyres, they really do hold up very very well so I can sort of see why they are being marketed as they are. Honestly for the UK climate, CC2 are good enough for 99.5% of the cars on the road.

I would agree though that if you are in Sweden or the Alps then you do need proper winter tyres. In fact, you may well even need Nordic tyres.

My comparison to budget winter tyres wasnt in reference to price but purely performance. If they perform as well as some winter budget tyres and you are warning people not to kill themselves, then you should be putting the same warning out against budget winter tyres and telling them they arent a patch on £400 Michelin Alpins so be careful.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Fitted my winters on my MX5 over the weekend, good timing.
Bought them 4 years ago and they've been fitted every winter since (as they're supposedly better than Summer tyres when under 7 degrees).

First time in snow though. Still possible to get it sideways when you try, but otherwise, clearly massively better than summers. The missus took it to work today instead of our normal fwd family wagon.

Underboss
forecast said no snow here, but we had a little over night

5am i went to work (I have Cross Climate Plus)
Think this is the first time ive driven in snow with all season tyres and
handled snow very well i thought

coming home was clear, but pulled in to my side rode, very slushy, got down to my house, and im not sure if it was snow, compact snow or ice, but touch the brakes and the tyres wouldn't grip very well
no accident though, i was hoping for more grip than this, which is why i went with these tyres in the first place, as finding you cant stop, is heart in mouth moment !!

Last edited:
Soldato
Good for snow. Not going to work well on ice…. I haven’t found a review which compares ice traction/braking… not even sure how well a winter tyre would, I’d think you’d need studded tyres if it’s really polished!

They only compare snow performance. Which is fine, if you know this. If you get a fresh dumping or if it’s slushy the performance is great.

The issue in the UK is the poorly cleared side roads as you’ve found out becoming compacted and then lots of freeze/thaw turning into sheet ice over several days.

Edit, you say wouldn’t grip very well (but they did have grip), and still maintained control. Want to go and repeat the test with summer tyres and report back? :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Good for snow. Not going to work well on ice…. I haven’t found a review which compares ice traction/braking… not even sure how well a winter tyre would, I’d think you’d need studded tyres if it’s really polished!

They only compare snow performance. Which is fine, if you know this. If you get a fresh dumping or if it’s slushy the performance is great.

The issue in the UK is the poorly cleared side roads as you’ve found out becoming compacted and then lots of freeze/thaw turning into sheet ice over several days.

Edit, you say wouldn’t grip very well (but they did have grip), and still maintained control. Want to go and repeat the test with summer tyres and report back? :o
That's the thing I twigged on tho. All the marketing gumph makes out they're like snow tyres for all season, but actually they're just run of the mill (non budget) all seasons that are good but not excellent at wet/snow. The marketing makes them sound like proper winter tyres that do summer, too.

Don
That's the thing I twigged on tho. All the marketing gumph makes out they're like snow tyres for all season, but actually they're just run of the mill (non budget) all seasons that are good but not excellent at wet/snow. The marketing makes them sound like proper winter tyres that do summer, too.
So no better than UHP tyres for 99% of the year then?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom