**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Are you specifically looking for such a performance tyre?

Tyre Reviews “Overall - The Bridgestone Potenza Sport continues to be an exciting tyre to drive, with sporty handling and excellent dynamic properties in the dry and wet. This does compromise the aquaplaning ability, comfort levels and rolling resistance of the tyre, and as the only tyre with the starting tread depth below 7mm, this is a tyre for the enthusiast that prioritises driving enjoyment.”

Could be false economy due to the lower starting tread depth?

I just had a quick look on CamSkill and found 295/30/20 Hankook Ventus S1 Evo3 for £182.50 including VAT each, then fitting for example at Dexel is £12.50 a corner.

Tyre Reviews - Overall - The Hankook Ventus S1 Evo3 once again proves to be a tyre with extremely high levels of safety by having by far the shortest wet braking distance, short dry braking, and a safe understeer balance in handling. However having tested the Evo3 in the same test as the touring bias Bridgestone Turanza T005, the tyre feels dynamically closer to touring tyre than UHP tyre, so is one to pass on if you're looking for a sporty feeling drive.

Thats without the 5% Xmas discount applied.
Interesting point about the limited tread depth on the Bridgestones. I need a tyre that can handle the power on the rears of a 380hp RWD car in rain as well as dry. My F is my daily driver so it gets used in all weathers and all road conditions. I don't rag it much because license but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Man of Honour
Wish I'd got photos - had my pickup in the garage and they dropped off a 2018 Amarok, 4 different tyres - front two were Goodyear Wrangler but different versions, the rear passenger side was a Pirelli Scorpion and the other was a Michelin can't remember model. I guess they were just using up near end of life tyres taken off other stuff :s one of them had like 2mm tread, the others less than 4. Mix and matched tyres do my head in.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wish I'd got photos - had my pickup in the garage and they dropped off a 2018 Amarok, 4 different tyres - front two were Goodyear Wrangler but different versions, the rear passenger side was a Pirelli Scorpion and the other was a Michelin can't remember model. I guess they were just using up near end of life tyres taken off other stuff :s one of them had like 2mm tread, the others less than 4. Mix and matched tyres do my head in.

My Range Rover was like that when I bought it - it had a Michelin, Pirelli, Hankook and Kumho, all of different tread depths and as a result, it wouldn't go above 4th gear as the computer detected something was wrong. I suspect the previous owner thought he was scamming me and that it had a gearbox fault I hadn't noticed, but with a new set of matching tyres the issue was resolved and it's been perfect ever since. I've heard of Jeep owners destroying their transfer cases just by using mismatched tyres.

Soldato
Tesla Model 3 LR with standard 18" aero wheels.

Pilot Sport 4S are £225 a corner.
Pilot Sport 5 are £186 a corner.

Any thoughts on why I wouldn't just go for the 5's? £40 of a difference for what I believe is literally just a foam sound dampening layer inside the tire seems a bit extreme....

Soldato
I meant the different the 4 and the 4S (The 4's are the same price as the 5's so can't see much logic in getting them).

It's the only obvious difference I am aware of, hence asking for thoughts from people with some wider knowledge of things.

Unless Pilot Sport 4S and Pilot Sport 4 Silent is two different things....

Last edited:
Soldato
Pilot Sport 4S and 4 (or newer 5) are completely different tyres. The Pilot Sport 4S is the ultra high performance road tyre that Michelin make.

Soldato
I think that is my confusion. I'm thinking of the Sport 4 Silent vs. the 5.

As far as I can tell the extra £40 a tyre gets you a foam insert and a T0 marking as the Tesla OEM tyre.

Soldato
Confusingly there's now also a Pilot Sport 4 Silent (which seems to only be used by Tesla) and also a Pilot Sport All Seasons 4

I don't think there is a tyre called the Pilot Sport 4 Silent. It's just bad naming from some sellers. They are acoustic versions.

You can get acoustic versions of the Pilot Sport 4S as well.

Last edited:
Don
I think that is my confusion. I'm thinking of the Sport 4 Silent vs. the 5.

As far as I can tell the extra £40 a tyre gets you a foam insert and a T0 marking as the Tesla OEM tyre.
Visually that's all you can see, but you have no way of knowing if either the compound is different or even the construction.
BMW star mark tyres for example have been proven to be different enough to the standard version of the same tyre that it affects their performance.

Soldato
Didn't think this warranted it's own thread - so I'll tack this question in here if I may, well, more of a sanity check than question:

A couple of weeks back my Wife had a rear o/s flat when she 2as out and about, she tried the tyre gunk that came with her car (Honda HRV) but it just ****** out of the hole. Long story short, she used the recovery that came with the car and the next day, the AA put a temp wheel on and took her to get a tyre fitted.

Since the above fun and games, her TPS has been acting up - initially I thought I cracked it, as it hadn't been initialized after the new tyre, but the warnings popped up hours later. I checked her pressures and found the rears were set to the towing pressure, so I set those back and this time there were no warnings for almost a week.

Anyway, after having them pop up again, she took the car back to the dealer who told her: "the issue is caused by having a different brand of tyre", and the only fix was to pay to have the same as the others fitted!

When she called and told me this after leaving, I laughed as I thought she was joking - but they were dead serious! I'm no tyre expert granted, I'm only vaguely aware of not mixing tread patterns or somesuch, but I couldn't wrap my head around this advice; as surely (in relation to the TPS) the tyre is just a big balloon holding air - the make/pattern/etc should make no difference. Indeed, this is the advice the tyre fitter gave her, and kindly offered to check the TPS batteries in each wheel for free.

So, is the Dealer full of **** or am I simply missing out on some well known knowledge, since ditching cars for motorcycles?

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Didn't think this warranted it's own thread - so I'll tack this question in here if I may, well, more of a sanity check than question:

A couple of weeks back my Wife had a rear o/s flat when she 2as out and about, she tried the tyre gunk that came with her car (Honda HRV) but it just ****** out of the hole. Long story short, she used the recovery that came with the car and the next day, the AA put a temp wheel on and took her to get a tyre fitted.

Since the above fun and games, her TPS has been acting up - initially I thought I cracked it, as it hadn't been initialized after the new tyre, but the warnings popped up hours later. I checked her pressures and found the rears were set to the towing pressure, so I set those back and this time there were no warnings for almost a week.

Anyway, after having them pop up again, she took the car back to the dealer who told her: "the issue is caused by having a different brand of tyre", and the only fix was to pay to have the same as the others fitted!

When she called and told me this after leaving, I laughed as I thought she was joking - but they were dead serious! I'm no tyre expert granted, I'm only vaguely aware of not mixing tread patterns or somesuch, but I couldn't wrap my head around this advice; as surely (in relation to the TPS) the tyre is just a big balloon holding air - the make/pattern/etc should make no difference. Indeed, this is the advice the tyre fitter gave her, and kindly offered to check the TPS batteries in each wheel for free.

So, is the Dealer full of **** or am I simply missing out on some well known knowledge, since ditching cars for motorcycles?
What tyres were on the car before the puncture, and what is on there now? It's not ideal to have mismatched tyres across axles. Could it be that the tread levels are very different across axles? This could send the TPMS into a fit perhaps.

Soldato
What tyres were on the car before the puncture, and what is on there now? It's not ideal to have mismatched tyres across axles. Could it be that the tread levels are very different across axles? This could send the TPMS into a fit perhaps.
No idea if I'm honest, I think the original ones were Michelin's, the new one was the closet match the fitter could do for the price the Wife paid (£115).

Still struggling to understand what a different tread would do to an internal pressure - maybe it might cause it to heat up differently, but surely if it's set to the same pressure, and eventually heats to the same temperature - everything should be within the +/- tolerance of a TPS warning...?

Soldato
No idea if I'm honest, I think the original ones were Michelin's, the new one was the closet match the fitter could do for the price the Wife paid (£115).

Still struggling to understand what a different tread would do to an internal pressure - maybe it might cause it to heat up differently, but surely if it's set to the same pressure, and eventually heats to the same temperature - everything should be within the +/- tolerance of a TPS warning...?

Is it direct TPMS? Does the car show you the pressure readings? Some (older?) pressure monitoring systems simply use the wheel speed sensor etc. to work out if it thinks there's an issue with the tyre pressure (different rotation speeds etc.) so a decent change in diameter, e.g. from a worn tyre to a new tyre might set it off? Maybe that's what they're on about?

Last edited:
Soldato

What message is popping up? Does the TPMS give you the exact pressure and did you measure pressures were unchanged the second time? Is it definitely the same size tyre in all dimensions to the other wheel on the axle?

Is it direct TPMS? Does the car show you the pressure readings? Some (older?) pressure monitoring systems simply use the wheel speed sensor etc. to work out if it thinks there's an issue with the tyre pressure (different rotation speeds etc.) so a decent change in diameter, e.g. from a worn tyre to a new tyre might set it off? Maybe that's what they're on about?

Problem is when you reset aren't the diameters independently set. I'd be amazed if this was the cause.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nah, much to the Misses' disgust, her 2017 Honda lacks this vital bit of info - unlike her old 2015 Quashqai, so she only gets a singular warning that (I guess) is shown for pressures below and over the safe pressures.

Soldato
What message is popping up? Does the TPMS give you the exact pressure and did you measure pressures were unchanged the second time? Is it definitely the same size tyre in all dimensions to the other wheel on the axle?

Problem is when you reset aren't the diameters independently set. I'd be amazed if this was the cause.
Just a singular warning is all her car gives, nothing fancy like a pressure per corner - a bit pants, considering the rest of the car is pretty decent with tech.

Without ducking out in the rain to look, I have no idea what the sizes are, but I'm pretty certain they would have fitted a like-for-like tyre (in terms of size and spec at least), just not a Michelin for whatever reason.

Soldato
Just a singular warning is all her car gives, nothing fancy like a pressure per corner - a bit pants, considering the rest of the car is pretty decent with tech.

Without ducking out in the rain to look, I have no idea what the sizes are, but I'm pretty certain they would have fitted a like-for-like tyre (in terms of size and spec at least), just not a Michelin for whatever reason.

Dunno. I wouldn't be so sure on that. They might have fitted something they had which was close enough.

Then that might also align with what the dealer is saying.

If its a wheel speed sensor system, then even a different tyre width or sidewall percentage could cause an issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom