**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Soon going to need a pair of new tyres on the front of the eNiro (well, only need one really, but going to replace the pair, guessing the previous owner had a puncture as one is on ~2.5mm and the other on ~4.8mm).

Currently on Michelin Primacy 3 on the rear, the one that needs replacing is a Primacy 3, and the other front is a Primacy 4.

Not too impressed with the current fronts to be honest, the slightest hint of moisture on the road and any "enthusiastic" throttle usage results in wheelspins.

Struggling to choose between either replacing with some decent "summer" tyres, e.g.:
  • Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 - seem to be well regarded, had them before and no complaints - £114 each fitted
Or some all seasons (which won't be as good in the summer, but potentially better in the wet & cold weather we have for the other 364 days/year):
  • Michelin Cross Climate 2 - £135 each fitted
  • Hankook Kinergy 4S2 - £118 each fitted
Leaning towards the Hankooks as they seem to be neck and neck with the Michelins in most tests, but are £15 cheaper.

I guess the alternative is a single Primacy 4 (if I can find one - most seem to be the 4+?) to replace the low one, and put off the decision for another 6-12 months.

What would you guys go for?

Soldato
Soon going to need a pair of new tyres on the front of the eNiro (well, only need one really, but going to replace the pair, guessing the previous owner had a puncture as one is on ~2.5mm and the other on ~4.8mm).

Currently on Michelin Primacy 3 on the rear, the one that needs replacing is a Primacy 3, and the other front is a Primacy 4.

Not too impressed with the current fronts to be honest, the slightest hint of moisture on the road and any "enthusiastic" throttle usage results in wheelspins.

Struggling to choose between either replacing with some decent "summer" tyres, e.g.:
  • Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 - seem to be well regarded, had them before and no complaints - £114 each fitted
Or some all seasons (which won't be as good in the summer, but potentially better in the wet & cold weather we have for the other 364 days/year):
  • Michelin Cross Climate 2 - £135 each fitted
  • Hankook Kinergy 4S2 - £118 each fitted
Leaning towards the Hankooks as they seem to be neck and neck with the Michelins in most tests, but are £15 cheaper.

I guess the alternative is a single Primacy 4 (if I can find one - most seem to be the 4+?) to replace the low one, and put off the decision for another 6-12 months.

What would you guys go for?
I can give you my thoughts on the Hankook's as my dad has them on his XC60. (Might have mentioned before). But yeah, really pleased with them and he's managed to use them in hot summer temps, rain, sub-zero temps, etc. He's used them since Feb. So he's been lucky to be able to get a good mix of weather with them to date. Honestly they are brilliant, and never had issues with putting down ~250bhp. If you have an SUV make sure to go for the 4S2X variant. We looked at the test results as well which is why we went with the Hankook's.

4S2X.jpg

Soldato
Thanks for that, definitely the kind of feedback I'm after! Unfortunately they don't seem to do the "X" version in my size - but the current tyres aren't XL rated either. Hankook website does list the normal 4S2 as suitable for the Niro

Last edited:
Soldato
just fishing at the moment however if anyone needs new tyres for their car

use code. SIZZLER on tyres at

www.f1autocentres.co.uk

for a chunky discount. and brings the price down for Goodyear eagle sports to £175 a corner fitted and balanced which is by far the cheapest I have seen for premium 245 50 R20 tyres

Last edited:
Soldato
just fishing at the moment however if anyone needs new tyres for their car

use code. SIZZLER on goodyear tyres at

www.f1autocentres.co.uk

for a chunky discount. and brings the price down for Goodyear eagle sports to £175 a corner fitted and balanced which is by far the cheapest I have seen for premium 245 50 R20 tyres

Yup, that's where I was going to pick up the efficient grips. Ended up ordering the Hankooks, fitting next Tuesday, so will be interesting to see how much they affect the range!

Soldato
Near where I work a mega F1 Autocentre has recently opened up on a brand new Business Park.

Handy to have close by and will see what they can offer come new tyres time.

On another note, it’s not as bad as some I’ve seen but noticed this poor condition tyre… made worse by 2 Car Seats in the back :(

Hard to see the extent of how poor it was from a photo, but it really had seen better days… dread to think what the wet performance would be in an emergency stop!

Last edited:
Soldato
On a relatively premium car as well... clearly paying for the the badge on the front is more important than the rubber holding it to ground :(
I watched a video recently comparing budget to premium tyres and it was eye opening the difference.

now.... tyres with zero tread I get it it's obvious they are dodgy but I don't always think people with no brand tyres are being tight .
I buy Sainsbury's own brand stuff, I have a mate who supplies Aldi their Partisan bread and also M&S... the difference other than price is negligible.

it isn't a huge leap for people to think perhaps the difference in tyres is negligible as well using the logic that if they were dangerous they would not be allowed on the road.

esp when tyres have an A-G rating for various characteristics and they are often comparable between tyres with huge price differences.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there a law that a tyre must meet certain criteria? Because if not, I think there should be. That would help root out these dangerous budget brand tyres. If they don't meet certain levels, then they can't be sold. At least that way we'd get a certain level of road safety. I know a lot of average people don't care or don't understand, but you must think to yourself Hmmm my tyre cost 50 quid for example, why does a similar from Michelin or Pirelli cost 3 times as much... Ignorance?

Soldato
Is there a law that a tyre must meet certain criteria? Because if not, I think there should be. That would help root out these dangerous budget brand tyres. If they don't meet certain levels, then they can't be sold. At least that way we'd get a certain level of road safety. I know a lot of average people don't care or don't understand, but you must think to yourself Hmmm my tyre cost 50 quid for example, why does a similar from Michelin or Pirelli cost 3 times as much... Ignorance?
maybe....... but then you could say the same with all things.

my ipace cost 70k new (I didn't pay anywhere near that), a Dacia duster costs what... 18k new (total guess)

clearly one is a better car than the other but they BOTH essentially do the job of getting you from A to B reliably and safely

half the time economy stuff is on the same production line as premium. I totally see where some would think tyres are probably the same.

Soldato

my ipace cost 70k new (I didn't pay anywhere near that), a Dacia duster costs what... 18k new (total guess)

clearly one is a better car than the other but they BOTH essentially do the job of getting you from A to B reliably and safely

half the time economy stuff is on the same production line as premium. I totally see where some would think tyres are probably the same.
Totally understand and agree yep. It's working out how to change that thinking isn't it. Where beans from aldi taste just the same as beans from heinz. Tyres aren't the same sadly. :(

Soldato

Absolutely, and likewise, I can understand (not necessarily condone) it on a 10-15 year old beaten up Fiesta or Corsa etc. and it's all you can really afford, but if you're paying a premium for a "fancy" marque and skimping on tyres then clearly your priorities need rethinking!

Soldato
it's funny. the car I have now is the 1st "fancy" badged car I have ever owned. previously I went out of my way to buy cars without the brand named badge (but I did my homework for "good" cars which cost less due to badge snobbery.

unfortunately it would appear even the best of the budget brands are a fair distance away from branded tyres.

Soldato
They could be Goodyears? Can’t really make it out from the photograph.

But regardless Premium or Budget, to allow a tyre to reach such poor condition and still run it is alarming especially with children on board.

No doubt the tyre will remain on our roads until their hand is forced to change it.

Edit: Or Goodspeed? No idea!

Last edited:
Soldato
They could be Goodyears? Can’t really make it out from the photograph.

But regardless Premium or Budget, to allow a tyre to reach such poor condition and still run it is alarming especially with children on board.

No doubt the tyre will remain on our roads until their hand is forced to change it.

Edit: Or Goodspeed? No idea!

They are Goodyears. Possibly As5.
Can you get a decent cam please. :p

Soldato
I'm getting 4x PS4S put on my Focus ST. I'm coming from F1 Asymmetrical (various generations). Looking forward to seeing if the "UUHP" category makes a difference.

But, it occurred to me, I thought you couldn't get PS4S in my tyre size 18"? Has something changed? This is from a Ford garage and it was on their list of tyres...

Soldato
Soldato
I'm getting 4x PS4S put on my Focus ST. I'm coming from F1 Asymmetrical (various generations). Looking forward to seeing if the "UUHP" category makes a difference.

But, it occurred to me, I thought you couldn't get PS4S in my tyre size 18"? Has something changed? This is from a Ford garage and it was on their list of tyres...
For a long time they were 19"+ in the UK, Europe always got the 18s I believe

Back
Top Bottom