**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Personally, I take those tyre ratings with a pinch of salt diluted in water, gargled and then spat down the drain. Garbage.

When you have something like a Rotalla RU01 with the same A wet rating as a Pilot Sport 4... don't make me laugh.

In my experience I get better fuel economy and better wear rates from UHP tyres than something budget, despite the tyre ratings saying the opposite.

Sorry, not helpful at all I know, but those tyre ratings make me mad!

Last edited:
Soldato
Personally, I take those tyre ratings with a pinch of salt diluted in water, gargled and then spat down the drain. Garbage.

When you have something like a Rotalla RU01 with the same A wet rating as a Pilot Sport 4... don't make me laugh.

In my experience I get better fuel economy and better wear rates from UHP tyres than something budget, despite the tyre ratings saying the opposite.

Totally agree. People ask me for tyre recommendations cause they look at rating label and go well I can buy this A rated tyre for thirty quid why are you telling me to spend a hundred pound on something else which is the same.

Soldato
Totally agree. People ask me for tyre recommendations cause they look at rating label and go well I can buy this A rated tyre for thirty quid why are you telling me to spend a hundred pound on something else which is the same.

I couldn't believe when the rating system was first introduced and cheap chinese crap was being given better ratings than an actual decent tyre. I've disregarded them ever since. You can't even trust tyre reviews because you have people raving about cheap tyres as they haven't tried anything better.

When one of my mates was looking for new tyres, I managed to convince him (bit of a cheapskate, tough crowd :D) to go for something decent. His car is nothing special and he didn't neccesarily need the grip levels of something like an Eagle F1, but when I broke down the cost per mile between a cheap tyre and a decent tyre being literally pennies (tyre cost difference was something like £20 each) he finally submitted and had some fitted.

The next day he came to me absolutely ecstatic about how good they were, haha. He's fitted them ever since.

You see all these 2/3 year old PCP'd SUVs having had their first tyre change running Davantis or Triangles because the owner is a moron. People don't take into account stopping distances or wet weather performance either and it makes me cringe when I have someone up my backside no doubt wearing a pair of Linglong's finest.

Soldato
I couldn't believe when the rating system was first introduced and cheap chinese crap was being given better ratings than an actual decent tyre. I've disregarded them ever since. You can't even trust tyre reviews because you have people raving about cheap tyres as they haven't tried anything better.

When one of my mates was looking for new tyres, I managed to convince him (bit of a cheapskate, tough crowd :D) to go for something decent. His car is nothing special and he didn't neccesarily need the grip levels of something like an Eagle F1, but when I broke down the cost per mile between a cheap tyre and a decent tyre being literally pennies (tyre cost difference was something like £20 each) he finally submitted and had some fitted.

The next day he came to me absolutely ecstatic about how good they were, haha. He's fitted them ever since.

You see all these 2/3 year old PCP'd SUVs having had their first tyre change running Davantis or Triangles because the owner is a moron. People don't take into account stopping distances or wet weather performance either and it makes me cringe when I have someone up my backside no doubt wearing a pair of Linglong's finest.
Omg exactly. I picked up my mustang and no word of a lie it had davantis tyres on it. First thing I did was bin them off for some Potenza sports. I was like no way am I ending up in a firey ditch thank you very much. Who spends £40k on a muscle car and fits cheap ass tyres!? Urgh. And funnier still, I tried to sell em as part worn to a few places and they all laughed and said hell no! Lol.

But you're right doesn't have to be a decent motor to require decent tyres. These things keep you on the road and keep you and other road users safe. There should be a law against such cheap rubbish!

OK mini rant over haha.

Man of Honour

Yup - I currently have Avon ZX7s on the Qashqai, which are A wet rated but not in the same league as some other A rated tyres - though to be fair I've not compared on the QQ but still.

One thing with a lot of the more budget tyres as well as you get down to about 7C and below the characteristics noticeably change for the worst while many of the better ones are barely different until you get to zero.

Like with my dad - he just trusts the garage, they stick on whatever and he is happy with it - that is how most people are with their cars - fortunately the guy he uses mostly uses Avon ZX7s and Falken Ecorun so not too terrible and doesn't charge too much but other places will stick like Runways on way overcharge.

Last edited:
Soldato
Camskill have a Michelin Promotion running from 1st September until 31st October.

Seems you have to follow the Cashback Process rather than a nice convenient discount code but thought it could be of use to someone, Camskill are usually really competitive to begin with.

Soldato
But you're right doesn't have to be a decent motor to require decent tyres. These things keep you on the road and keep you and other road users safe. There should be a law against such cheap rubbish!

OK mini rant over haha.

Haha, I love a good tyre rant!! There are enough mid range decent brands/tyres that there really is no excuse for fitting some of the absolute cheap rubbish that you see. Even if a customer has no idea about tyres, they walk into a garage and ask for the cheapest tyre, these companies should have a duty of care to sell something that isn't dangerous to use, especially given the poor manner in which so many people drive.

Definitely agree that there should be a higher minimum standard of tyre performance that can be sold and allowed on the road, and it should be tested properly, not just given an arbitrary letter which means absolutely nothing in the real world.

Yup - I currently have Avon ZX7s on the Qashqai, which are A wet rated but not in the same league as some other A rated tyres - though to be fair I've not compared on the QQ but still.

One thing with a lot of the more budget tyres as well as you get down to about 7C and below the characteristics noticeably change for the worst while many of the better ones are barely different until you get to zero.

Like with my dad - he just trusts the garage, they stick on whatever and he is happy with it - that is how most people are with their cars - fortunately the guy he uses mostly uses Avon ZX7s and Falken Ecorun so not too terrible and doesn't charge too much but other places will stick like Runways on way overcharge.

Sorry Rroff, wasn't calling your dad a moron haha :) At least those tyres are from big, well known and reputable brands and made to a half decent standard.

For me, it's the people that have new and expensive cars and then put the cheapest black round circles on them to save £50. 50 quid over 15-20000 miles is pennies. It's not just normal run of the mill stuff either, I have a few mates with 3-400bhp hot hatches driving about on Dingaling PerformanceProXLLLLLL and then complaining why they can't get the power down.

I'm no saint, I've ran mismatched cheap tyres or chinese brands on stuff before, but generally that was when I was younger and earning very little. If you can afford the £2/3/400 a month for a shiny new car on PCP you can bloody well afford the extra cash to not fit **** tyres. I saw it just today, nearly new Jag F Pace sitting there on a full set of Acceleras. VW camper vans are another one.... you can almost guarantee that any modified T5 with its lowered suspension and big aftermarket wheels will be sat on whatever cheap junk the tyre shop had in stock.

Last edited:
Soldato
I suspect this is more likely to be auction cars, pcp returns etc. that are getting cheap crap thrown on so they can be sold on with "new tyres all round"

Take my Polo GTI for example - At only 13,000 Miles it was one OEM Bridgestone Turanza remaining on rear.

It had a Saferich (Assuming a cheap replacement after a puncture or something) prior to Part Exchange.

Dealership put on 2 Front Accelera prior to sale.

I changed all 4 for Dunlop Sportmax RT2’s.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Take my Polo GTI for example - At only 13,000 Miles it was one OEM Bridgestone Turanza remaining on rear.

It had a Saferich (Assuming a cheap replacement after a puncture or something) prior to Part Exchange.

To a dealer, it’s not about fitting unsafe tyres, it’s about any costs being kept to a minimum as that eats into their margin.

Soldato

Mine was like the opposite. It's came with almost the most expensive tire you could find in 225 40 18. A full set Runflat Pirelli all seasons and they were like new.

I wish the previous owner just went for a set of non RF UHP tire. I despise RFs.

Soldato
To a dealer, it’s not about fitting unsafe tyres, it’s about any costs being kept to a minimum as that eats into their margin.

Of course - Most cars usually have the fronts changed prior to sale as usually they have had it by the time people come to exchange.

Always a nice bonus if the car you are purchasing has Michelins, Conti’s etc on but usually it’s priced accordingly, they take EVERYTHING into account don’t they.

Soldato
Saferich? More like Safe-ditch. Am I right?

I didn’t have them on long enough to find out really, buying a car in October with Ditchfinders on meant it was driven like James May until they were swapped out.

Keep seeing “Premium” Cars with them on, you can see the weird outer edge tread design a mile off!

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Very not good mixing Turanzas with other tyres especially on the same axel and especially if ditch finders - will get a very different response when braking and very different levels of grip in the wet.

Associate
I'm looking to replace my car types on my Suzuki Swift which I believe has TPMS. Also, I've got some missing dust caps and I've purchased some cheap plastic ones and they don't seem to screw on and stay there so I'm thinking of getting new values/stems too as I don't want to spend money on tyres and not have dust caps fitted to them.

When replacing car tyres, many fitters mention replacing values. Is that the same as replacing stems or different? Would they work with my TPMS system. Reason I asked is because one of the fitters mentioned they charge £25/stem.

u7qDq2W.jpg

Soldato
I'm looking to replace my car types on my Suzuki Swift which I believe has TPMS. Also, I've got some missing dust caps and I've purchased some cheap plastic ones and they don't seem to screw on and stay there so I'm thinking of getting new values/stems too as I don't want to spend money on tyres and not have dust caps fitted to them.

When replacing car tyres, many fitters mention replacing values. Is that the same as replacing stems or different? Would they work with my TPMS system. Reason I asked is because one of the fitters mentioned they charge £25/stem.

u7qDq2W.jpg

I got mine from ebay. OEM old stock.

Back
Top Bottom