**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Same with Goodyear AS5 - Really good performance but when driven enthusiastically don’t last particularly long, but depending on your Tyre Size it’s a small price to pay for such performance.

Man of Honour
Also you can't compare an all season to a high performance tyre man! :o

But you're talking about the Asymmetric 6, which is a not a purely performance tyre, so the comparison is fairly relevant. 8k miles is very poor really, I've never had a tyre go in as little as that and I've had various Eagle F1 Assymetric, Michelin Pilot Sport, Continental SportContact etc so all comparable tyres.

The wear rate of the latest generation of these tyres is really not bad, so perhaps its your driving style not the tyre.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Hey chaps. Any recommendations on tyres for a MK7 Golf (69 plate)? After something comfortable, quiet, reliable.

My driving is sedate, only use the car for driving the family around so not looking for tyres focused towards spirited driving, but I want safe.

No real budget to be honest, but bang for buck.

Also, looking through the thread there a number of place people use. Any one site better than the other?

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey chaps. Any recommendations on tyres for a MK7 Golf (69 plate)? After something comfortable, quiet, reliable.

My driving is sedate, only use the car for driving the family around so not looking for tyres focused towards spirited driving, but I want safe.

No real budget to be honest, but bang for buck.

Also, looking through the thread there a number of place people use. Any one site better than the other?

Primacy 4+?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If safety a priority check the winter results as well - some excellent summer tyres can take awhile to get to optimal temperature/have much reduced performance when temperatures drop.

Primacy 4+?

One of the things I find with these tests is the difficulty in reflecting real world and/or subjective aspects for instance with the Bridgestone Turanza t005 from that article:

+Ok wet grip, good aquaplaning resistance, very good dry braking, extremely low rolling resistance.
-Extended wet braking, sluggish dry handling, high external noise.

The Bridgestone lost a few points for wet braking, where it was pretty average, and dry handling where it felt sluggish and down on grip of the best, but this tyre absolutely crushed the rolling resistance test, a full 15% better than the second best tyre, which was the Goodyear. IF you drive an EV or plug in hybrid, this might be the best of the group. Highly recommended.

Granted my experience of them is the XL/4x4 variety on SUVs and pickups but in my experience wet grip is very good, albeit sometimes it feels a bit too much "on a rail" making cornering a little odd as it feels kind of like snapping to angles rather than a smooth progression. But the wet braking is where my experience differs a lot - sure it is longer than some of the newer tyres but I wouldn't call it extended at all but more crucially there is a level of control there in real world situations with **** surface, less than ideal traffic conditions and road layout, etc. etc. that some of the other tyres don't have - sure in ideal circumstances they might not bring you to a stop quite as quickly in the wet as some newer tyres but in not-ideal circumstances i.e. a sudden situation in complex conditions you'll get a very different impression of them.

I'd agree with a lot of the rest though, rolling resistance is very low, they are noisy but it isn't high noise more they have an annoying rolling noise in the dry, and while I wouldn't call dry handling sluggish or down on grip nominally as I've mentioned before when it is properly dry as in dusty dry they are definitely heavy and unresponsive compared to other similar tyres.

More unfortunate though they tend to get crazy cracking between the tread blocks quite prematurely compared to other tyres and I've binned one set because it doesn't inspire me as to their safety beyond a certain point and my most recent set are doing similar :( so between that and the noise I won't be going for them again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kol
Man of Honour
All seasons the way to go?

Think that depends person to person on usage, etc. if you are just driving around town, mostly in the day, then probably not the best compromise. TBH for that kind of use, mostly around town, etc., I'd probably just hit up Black Circles, skip the most basic tiers and see what was towards the cheaper end with A rated wet performance and at least B for fuel and have a gander at the reviews.

Last edited:

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Thanks for the info again guys. Spent far too long (could have spent longer still) on black circles ultimately ending up with 4x primacy 4+ fitted on Wednesday morning.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Need new rears as my PS 4S have now reached the legal limit - This time I've gone for PS 4S again but BMW star marked. At £440 for the pair (255/35/19) seemed reasonable, plus got £5 off at national, as well as a tenner cashback via TCB.

Out of luls I checked how much the non star marked ones were last time I bought the 4S back in 2020, obviously prices of everything have gone up since those times, but still, a rather hefty price bump :/

HaQTqcR.jpg

I'm on 145k miles now, so a set of rear non BMW star marked 4S got me 17k miles on the rear, which feels about what I get from a set of rears given I've had 2 sets of 4S already.

Edit*
Changed the star marked to normal 4S, seems there will be quirks having one axle on one 4S version and another on non star marked (fronts still basically news).

Last edited:
Associate
I recently took my Suzuki Swift for an MOT and I need to replace a tyre soon. I have very little knowledge about them so I had a few questions.

Current tyres:
NSF: 185/55R16 87V
NSR: 185/55R16 83V
OSF: 185/55R16 87V
OSR: 185/55R16 83V

1. Currently, the front tyres support different weight to my back. When it comes to replacing them, should I get the same weight or does it not matter wether I get 87V or 83V as long as they’re the same on the axil?

2. I’m planning to purchase and get them fitted through BlackCircles. Is it standard/expected that they will replace the pressure values or would I need to pay for that? How much should I expect to pay? They’re currently worn out with missing dust caps!

3. Out of these, which tyres would you pick?

A - Kumho Solus 4S HA32 - £81-95

B - Hankook Kinergy 4S 2 185/55 R16 87V- £109

Last edited:
Soldato
Ideally you’d have all four the same, but in reality as long as they’re the same on each axle and not of very different quality/ character (i.e. winters on one and summers the other) you should be ok.

I’m not sure I’d be rushing to spend the extra £9 on hankook over Yokohama. They’re not cheap for 16” tyres. Any other options?

Soldato
If you are only replacing one tyre, it needs to be the same as the tyre on the opposite axel, otherwise you will have to replace both, the tyre fitter won't charge you for filling it with air, it's part of the tyre change

Don
1. Currently, the front tyres support different weight to my back. When it comes to replacing them, should I get the same weight or does it not matter wether I get 87V or 83V as long as they’re the same on the axil?
What does blackcircles say for your registration? (Or indeed check what sizes are listed on the sticker inside your car door/fuel filler). Likely you only need 83 Rated tyres rather than 87. 87 Are XL (reinforced tyres), which will generally be slightly stiffer and a less comfortable ride for a given size.

2. I’m planning to purchase and get them fitted through BlackCircles. Is it standard/expected that they will replace the pressure values or would I need to pay for that? How much should I expect to pay? They’re currently worn out with missing dust caps!
The valve stems/dust caps will be replaced.

3. Out of these three, which tyres would you pick?

A - YOKOHAMA 185/55R16 87H YOKOHAMA BLUE-A AE50 XL - £100

B - YOKOHAMA 185/55R16 83V YOKO BLUEARTH-ES ES32 - £100

C - Hankook Kinergy 4S 2 185/55 R16 87V- £109
None of those :)

Michelin Primacy 4+ @ £138.28 each would be my choice for the "best" tyre in that size, but if you're after a cheaper choice, then Kumho Ecsta HS52 @ £73.76 are at least "A" rated for wet weather unlike the Yokohama Blueearth.

Associate
Ideally you’d have all four the same, but in reality as long as they’re the same on each axle and not of very different quality/ character (i.e. winters on one and summers the other) you should be ok.

I’m not sure I’d be rushing to spend the extra £9 on hankook over Yokohama. They’re not cheap for 16” tyres. Any other options?
I was hoping to get all weather tyres actually and so I've just realised that the Yokohama ones aren't.

There's also these Kumho but there's less fuel efficient and I'm confused about the difference between the top two results.

6sftPwL.png

Soldato
Not sure there is a difference between the top two. Strange that they’re different prices.

Happy enough with Kumho on our Fiat 500 but don’t have all season ones.

Get an alignment done as well - if there’s only an advisory on one tyre it could be out which would cause uneven wear.

Soldato
Michelin Primacy 4+ @ £138.28 each would be my choice for the "best" tyre in that size, but if you're after a cheaper choice, then Kumho Ecsta HS52 @ £73.76 are at least "A" rated for wet weather unlike the Yokohama Blueearth.

The Ecsta HS52’s are what we’ve got on the Fiat 500 and they’re absolutely fine. I wouldn’t bother paying more for all weather tyres in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom