**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Hi guys, been going through the posts on here and not 100% on what to get so thought I’d ask.

So we’re due for some new tyres on our CR-V, and live in rural ish Lincolnshire.

Usually travel several times a day along 5-6 miles of poorly maintained back roads which are un-gritted during the winter.

Once on the main roads were normally fine as they are gritted. Come late spring summer and early autumn it’s usually dry or chucking it down so a decent wet tyre would have sufficed.

Just pondering wether to stick some all seasons on for the impending wet/cold seasons - GY 4s gen 3 SUV or stick with a summer tyre such as GY EfficientGrip SUV 2, as we’ve managed fine up to now, I suppose knowing where the tyre limit for grip is you take it a lot slower etc. I know on the colder icy mornings like the one in my link iirc around -5 I wasn’t far off the limits of the tyre in terms of grip (random Mazzini and rapid iirc that came new on the car a few years back), gentle steering and taking it slow maintained the grip. We don’t usually get snow (apart from the beast from the east that blanketed the coast) just the ice/frost low temps in the colder seasons hence my being on the fence with the all seasons since most tyres won’t do well in ice.

Typical road conditions locally and what we get most mornings from November to feb

Any suggestions on which way to go would be great or any info would be great. Cheers all.

All seasons would be my pick imo
I think unless you have the ability, tools, spare cash and space to buy, store and fit a set of winter wheels and tyres then all-seasons seem to make more sense.

Tools wise isn't too bad - jack/chocks, breaker, ideally calibrated torque wrench, depending on vehicle and surface it can be quite a quick process or more time consuming - if you've got a hard flat surface and a trolley jack can be in and out much more easily - especially if a vehicle you can jack up at one point and do both wheels on an axel at once (though I'm not a fan of that method personally).

Back
Top Bottom