**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Associate
In my book a tyre is a tyre if you don't own a sports car or drive like Nigel then any decent budget tyre will do for the average car imho
This is the attitude your average person has who will just stick the cheapest rubbish on their car. Funny thing is a ok tyre like a Rainsport 5 isn't even expensive and does well in the wet and dry.

Buying budget ditch finders is funny. Can literally make all the difference between having a crash / rear ending someone or stopping in time all for the sake of £20 or so more a tyre, mental.

Man of Honour
Enhanced wet performance is the big one for me. For many other areas a run of the mill tyre holds up fine with normal driving as long as braking performance is reasonable though personally I tend to pay a little more for better performance tyres.

Soldato
I seem to be spending all our cash on tyres at the minute! The joys of 2 cars and a caravan!

What are people's thoughts on all weather tyres?

I've found pulling the caravan in the wet effects the grip at the front end of the car when wet and wonder if I should now be looking at these as an option.

I currently have Eagle F1 all round but the front tyres need changing (I only changed rears end of last year). What effect will having non matching tyres have other than blowing my tyre OCD out the water?

Underboss
you can have 2 matching tyres on the front axles and 2 matching tyres on the rear axel
but you should not have all season tyres and summer tyres on one vehicle

Can you mix Summer and All Season Tyres?
You should not mix all season and summer tyres. If you are changing your tyres to all season, you should put all season tyres on all four wheels. Equally, you should not mix all season tyres with winter tyres or summer tyres with winter tyres. Always fit the same type of tyre on all four wheels.

If you mix tyres, you will create an imbalance in grip and traction which will increase the chances of you losing control of your vehicle. Cars rely on all four tyres evenly, regardless of whether your car is rear wheel drive or front wheel drive and as such the same tyre should be fitted on all four wheels.

Soldato
you can have 2 matching tyres on the front axles and 2 matching tyres on the rear axel
but you should not have all season tyres and summer tyres on one vehicle

Thanks for that mate.

If I wasn't due cambelt, water pump, DSG oil change this year I would be tempted to go all round! Will stick with normal tyres for now!

Associate
This is the attitude your average person has who will just stick the cheapest rubbish on their car. Funny thing is a ok tyre like a Rainsport 5 isn't even expensive and does well in the wet and dry.

Buying budget ditch finders is funny. Can literally make all the difference between having a crash / rear ending someone or stopping in time all for the sake of £20 or so more a tyre, mental.

So true this. Used uniroyal rainsports on my old car and made a world of difference in the wet.

Cant understand the need to put the cheapest tyres on your car when it's the only bit of the car that actually touches the road. Especially funny when you see a big audi/merc/BMW with ditch finders on em.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Have to get my wheels re-refurbished due to cracks appearing already.

The vibrations are also absolutely horrendous unless I drive below 70 or over 110 mph, so I'll get 2 new tyres fitted on the rear as they have to take the old ones off to refurbish the wheels.
Can get 2x Goodyear Assy 5s for £190 whereas PS4s would've been over £230. Mixed tyres shouldn't matter too much. I don't think it's worth another £50 in any case.

TkkkwNW.jpg

Soldato
Just had to order a tyre for my i3, which seem to be terribly affected with punctures going by the forums. £118 each for 155/60/20 Bridgestone Ecopias, I've ordered two so I have a matching set and will keep the other good one as a spare. Not much choice of brand for an i3, basically Bridgestone or Contis, and as I have good Bridgestones on the back I'll stick with those for now.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Just had to order a tyre for my i3, which seem to be terribly affected with punctures going by the forums. £118 each for 155/60/20 Bridgestone Ecopias, I've ordered two so I have a matching set and will keep the other good one as a spare. Not much choice of brand for an i3, basically Bridgestone or Contis, and as I have good Bridgestones on the back I'll stick with those for now.
Yeah you're not exactly spoilt for choice when it comes to the i3's bicycle wheels. I've got the Bridgestone Eco whatever 20" summers that came with the car and Goodyear UltraGrip 19" winters.

Man of Honour
With the weather we have had recently, the Cup 2's have been fantastic. You can feel the grip coming in and all of a sudden the cars is transformed. Now in 2 minds about putting a none Cup tyre on to the car. Heading up to Scotland tomorrow so it will be interesting to see how they work out over the next 1200 miles.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
With the weather we have had recently, the Cup 2's have been fantastic. You can feel the grip coming in and all of a sudden the cars is transformed. Now in 2 minds about putting a none Cup tyre on to the car. Heading up to Scotland tomorrow so it will be interesting to see how they work out over the next 1200 miles.
How often is the weather like this though?

Associate
How often is the weather like this though?

I've run Cup 2s on a few cars in all weathers. They're generally fine in most temperatures on the road, but struggle massively if there's heavy rain. In my Cayman, I've had some horrible journeys on the motorway in heavy rain where you're pretty much limited to 60mph before it starts aquaplaning. However, I think they deal with water a lot better than most track biased tyres.

Man of Honour
I need new rear tyres on my 7 Series, currently have matching P Zero runflats (star marked) all round. Rear size is 275 35 20, front is 245 40 20.

The P Zero's seem OK but not amazing, I was planning on just replacing them all (as required) with Pilot Sport 4 RFT's, but they are not star marked - which I'm not too worried about really, but the P Zero range all are.

I know it's not a sports car as such but I do lean on the grip fairly often and make decent progress where possible.

Ideally, the best thing would be to swap them all out for Pilot Sport 4S's, non runflat. I know people don't tend to like runflats but I've found them to be OK, but I know the 4s non RFT would be better.

It's annoying as aside from P Zero it's tough to find a matching set that are star marked in the correct sizes... any thoughts?

Soldato
My new car has a full set of Bridgestone Potenza S001's on it. I've read mixed reviews about these as well as the poor wet braking performance. Are they significantly worse than say the PS4's or is the difference negligible?

Back
Top Bottom