**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Associate
SsctXby.jpg

Went down from 19s 8.5j to 18s 8j and man the front end feels good. Plenty of grip with the GY ASM6 + far better steering feel than the PS4S.
Any more pics of your ED35?

Associate
So, I went to get my 2 front tyres replaced on my Mini. They are currently Pirellis Pzero I believe. I ordered a pair of Pilot Sport 5 which were the same size. When I turn up, they took a look at my current tyres and pointed out they had a star symbol on them, saying they were special tyres recommended by the manufacturer and that it wouldn't be safe putting the Michelins on.

I thought this was strange. Surely if the tyres match the same spec as the originals, it shouldn't matter? It just means the car was never tested/designed with those tyres in mind and there just not OE tyres? My tyres are 235 35 R19 Extra load and I ordered exactly that, just without that "star" symbol.

Is there any truth to what they have said or were they just being clueless?

Man of Honour
I don't know about not safe but mixing star and non-star marked tyres can affect the overall handling of the vehicle potentially quite significantly, potentially to the point that under heavy braking or on wet surfaces it compromises handling, and on some models with AWD or xDrive or whatever potentially the difference can cause loading problems on the transmission, etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi guys,

Hope you’re all well. Just after bit of advice as to which tyres I should be putting on our ID3?

Our old Id3 went through Bridgestone tyres like there was no tomorrow! The newer Id3 (3years old in June) has had Goodyear efficient grip, car has done 36k, however yesterday one of the rear tyres unbeknowingly bald on the inside edge split. Having checked all tyres they all have a bit of uneven wear around either the outside edge or inside edge…..tracking?

Just wondering what you EV guys put on yours when it’s time? Continental eco 6 seem to have some good reviews?
Should you put a specified EV tyre on or can a normal tyre be used?

Tia :)

Soldato
So, I went to get my 2 front tyres replaced on my Mini. They are currently Pirellis Pzero I believe. I ordered a pair of Pilot Sport 5 which were the same size. When I turn up, they took a look at my current tyres and pointed out they had a star symbol on them, saying they were special tyres recommended by the manufacturer and that it wouldn't be safe putting the Michelins on.

I thought this was strange. Surely if the tyres match the same spec as the originals, it shouldn't matter? It just means the car was never tested/designed with those tyres in mind and there just not OE tyres? My tyres are 235 35 R19 Extra load and I ordered exactly that, just without that "star" symbol.

Is there any truth to what they have said or were they just being clueless?
I'd have said:

Cool, thanks for the advise. Please fit yhe tyres I've ordered. Thanks.

Soldato
New tyres fitted - whilst obviously it hasn't done anything to fix the wheelspin, (although have a matched pair on the front it does now at least spin in a straight line :p) the back of the car definitely feels a lot firmer and more "planted", especially in the wet weather today :)

Almost a month since I had these fitted, and no noticeable effect on range/efficiency, no issues with noise either, even though they are rated 72db vs the 68db of the old ones :)

Associate
I don't about not safe but mixing star and non-star marked tyres can affect the overall handling of the vehicle potentially quite significantly, potentially to the point that under heavy braking or on wet surfaces it compromises handling, and on some models with AWD or xDrive or whatever potentially the difference can cause loading problems on the transmission, etc.

Yeah this is a Clubman JCW, so comes with AWD. Been reading around forums and there is so much conflicting info regarding xDrive and star tyres. Some are saying you're better off sticking with star for any potential warranty issues with the drivetrain, others are saying it won't make any difference as long as you choose the same spec tyre. Minis website links to this Continental: https://eprel.ec.europa.eu/screen/product/tyres/483173?navigatingfrom=qr nothing special with that tyre, so to me it says go with whatever I want as long as it's spec?

Back
Top Bottom