• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unreal Engine 5 - unbelievable.

V F

V F

Soldato
I still strangely had Matrix Reloaded vibes of CGI Neo when fighting the hundreds of Agent Smiths. The neck movement is still weird.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
It would still be extremely demanding.

The Xbox series X is running this at a low resolution, which is then upscaled to 1600p and framerate is 24-30fps

Well if the PS5 is running slightly lower settings than that it would explain the sluggishness.

Will be interesting to see what it’s like on the PC when it’s finally released.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Surprised the usual "will be 30 fps junk on console" crew haven't chimed in.
I’ll happily take 30fps all day long if the games are going to look like that. I would just play with a controller.

That said, if they can run 30fps on consoles, 60 should be easy on PC :D

Soldato
I’ll happily take 30fps all day long if the games are going to look like that. I would just play with a controller.

That said, if they can run 30fps on consoles, 60 should be easy on PC :D

Yeah I played it on my xbox last night and it was pretty epic. The framerate did drop when driving about certain areas which was noticeable, but once devs get to grips with it and scale things accordingly I think we stand to get some impressive games over next few years.

PC will get likely get most games but after potentially long console exclusivity periods.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yeah I played it on my xbox last night and it was pretty epic. The framerate did drop when driving about certain areas which was noticeable, but once devs get to grips with it and scale things accordingly I think we stand to get some impressive games over next few years.

PC will get likely get most games but after potentially long console exclusivity periods.
Sounds good. I don’t mind wait to be honest. Was planning on getting a PS5 at some point for the exclusives, but seems most of those will come to PC eventually and I don’t want another device if I can help it.

Soldato
If they got the facial animations perfect then this would be even better! At the moment the faces are too rigid and the lighting on them doesn't appear to be real time? Getting strong uncanny valley vibes when look at them which is breaking the immersion for me.

Soldato
The graphics look great, but the gameplay looks terrible. Press a joypad to snap a reticule over a circle and press fire. That's not a game. I know it's only an engine tech demo, but I wouldn't want to bother with something that looks pretty but there's no game to play. If they wanted to pretend it was something you could turn into a game, at least put a bit of gaming in there.

V F

V F

Soldato
The graphics look great, but the gameplay looks terrible. Press a joypad to snap a reticule over a circle and press fire. That's not a game. I know it's only an engine tech demo, but I wouldn't want to bother with something that looks pretty but there's no game to play. If they wanted to pretend it was something you could turn into a game, at least put a bit of gaming in there.

Spider-Man has sections like this.

Soldato
The "terrain" features look to be amazing in UE5, whether it's urban cities or natural vistas, but only as long as things stay static because, as soon as there's animation involved, it sticks out more obviously that it's CG as you get sooooo immersed in the "world" that any kind of unnatural jankiness stands out way more than the same level of "poor" animation would in a game which looks like a game.

Man of Honour
The "terrain" features look to be amazing in UE5, whether it's urban cities or natural vistas, but only as long as things stay static because, as soon as there's animation involved, it sticks out more obviously that it's CG as you get sooooo immersed in the "world" that any kind of unnatural jankiness stands out way more than the same level of "poor" animation would in a game which looks like a game.

One of the problems I have with Unreal 5 - temporal stability - may not bother a lot of people but across a lot of features it is streaming the most relevant data for each frame individually from a bigger set of data and/or building information progressively on the fly and I can't help but notice the inconsistencies where from one frame to the next of the same or overlapping scene where things change slightly. One of the reasons I'm also somewhat limited in my reception of DLSS and similar techniques.

Soldato
The world and environment looks amazing. But the NCP or peoples still look like polygons and robotic. It is such a shame that these kinds of dynamics not been perfected more over the last 20yrs

Associate
Criticising the gameplay aspect of a tech demo, incredible.

Absolutely ! Why can't people just take it for what it is ( a tech demo ). I do agree with the points on NCP regarding movement tho. So much goes into the environment as a whole, but the movement of a character ( not necessarily its looks, but the movement ) still seems a ilttle rigid and somewhat disconnected from the environment around it.

Associate
its doesnt really do much for me 3d and life like does not make a game

the best Grandtheft auto game was in 2d

Associate
Looking at some of the other videos on youtube, its impressive how well the xbox series S holds up. Yes, its a markedly lower resolution, but it was still putting out a very similar look and fps performance. In some cases I even felt that the softer image from lower res looks a bit better or more TV like. ( I personally think some games in 4k look too falsely sharp )

Back
Top Bottom