Useful Freeware Utilities

http://lifehacker.com/5482269/disk-space-fan-analyzes-hard-drive-space-with-a-dash-of-eye-candy

Windows only: Free utility Disk Space Fan analyzes your hard drive usage to help you determine what's taking up space on your hard drive, representing it all with fancy visualization eye candy.

Disk Space Fan joins a long line of disk visualization tools, from the classic WinDirStat to DriveSpacio, Disktective, and others. WinDirStat has always had a special place in our hearts when it came time to visualize our hard drive usage and knock off space-wasting files, but it's not the most attractive tool in the toolbox. Disk Space Fan does the same sort of disk analysis, but it's also very attractive in addition to being very functional.

Eye candy aside, it's scans are fast, and the Explorer integration makes it open up any file or folder for a closer look. You can click any slice to drill down further (and yes, it has fancy animated transitions when you do the clicking), and you can open or delete any file or folder directly from the app.

Disk Space Fan is a free download, Windows only. (Mac users, check out previously mentioned GrandPerspective.) A Pro version is available with a few more features, the but core that makes it great is available for free.

Are you offering to do it?

Come on that's not the attitude to take, i would happily do it to help the community in getting something quickly that's both good and free, which i thought was the idea of the thread, sometimes though too much choice isn't a good thing when all you want to do is pop in and find something decent.

Im sure you have a good idea of the best ones for each use, otherwise polls can be made or found already on the forum, it's just a suggestion. :)

Come on that's not the attitude to take

MarcLister and I have spent MANY hours putting this list together, at the present time neither of us have the spare time to start putting together a shortened version of it...

If you would like to make a post with the best 2/3 utilities from each section, Marc and I will look at it etc with a view to putting it into a separate post at the top of the list...

Come on that's not the attitude to take, i would happily do it to help the community in getting something quickly that's both good and free, which i thought was the idea of the thread, sometimes though too much choice isn't a good thing when all you want to do is pop in and find something decent.

Im sure you have a good idea of the best ones for each use, otherwise polls can be made or found already on the forum, it's just a suggestion. :)
I don't think jbloggs was having a go at you. It is just that we've both spent many hours, in different ways, looking after this thread and keeping it updated. We've looked at ways of improving the thread further though, unfortunately, to no avail. Yet. :)

If you were willing to go through each category and try each program in turn and then choose the 3 best for that category in terms of ease of use, updated-ness (i.e. is it a recent version or is it an old project, how featured it is we could then add asterisks next to the top three for each category and have the top three programs listed in bold. So 3rd best would have "***", 2nd best "**" and best would have "*".

Like "IMGBURN *"

MarcLister and I have spent MANY hours putting this list together, at the present time neither of us have the spare time to start putting together a shortened version of it...
I was working 3 days a week but, due to financial constraints, I've been cut down to 1 day a week. I start a new full time job on April 19th so between now and then I have quite a few spare hours. :) We could try putting something together like we've tried in the past but use Wordpress this time? I could then host this as we also discussed in the past.

Let me know what you think, I'll be on MSN later or you can email me. :)

If you would like to make a post with the best 2/3 utilities from each section, Marc and I will look at it etc with a view to putting it into a separate post at the top of the list...
Like the idea of this. :)

Just thought I would post a quick note in here. As you know, I started to create a full website version of this list to have everything ordered by category and for it to be fully searchable and everything. This is still my aim but due to Uni work and load sof other things to do, I ahve just not had the time to finish it off yet. It is 100% still on my To-Do list and will be complete, eventually!

I will NOT and I guarantee that I will not just give up on it!

Yeah and it's appreciated, i wasn't thinking anything time consuming as this sort of thing should be simple based on what most like and use all the time, i could run off a quick list of what i think is best but id of thought you lot already have a good idea anyway, you could even do it quicker by just making those most liked software links bold?

i could run off a quick list of what i think is best

Thanks...that would be most helpful...say list the 3 best/most used utilities from each section, for large sections (like Desktop, Network etc) say up to 6 utilities...just make the list in a post in this thread and Marc and I will see it straight away...

Thanks...

Ok sure but i can only do the ones i know about and believe to be good, this is a community driven thing so i can only do my part. :)

Avast Antivirus
Microsoft Security Essentials
Spybot S&D

Grooveshark
SHOUTcast
Spotify

Audacity

IMGBurn

7-Zip
WinRAR

Paint.NET

Firefox