Valheim

Man of Honour
surely 2021 GOTY is not "games that came out in 2021", but instead, "game of the year that has come out since the last GOTY"?

else if anyone releases a game in that window of after the awards and before year end, they can never get an award?

Possibly but wouldnt it just make logical sense for a GOTY to be in that year. Why not just make it Jan 1st to Dec 31st of the year in question. I mean Steam didnt even announce its winner (which was voted online by the players anyway) til after the 31st Dec. If every GOTY ran Jan 1st - Dec 31st, then you could easily have it as needing to be in that calendar year.

I dont know why Cyberpunk wasnt in the GOTY 2020 Steam Awards, Cyberpunk came out on the 10th Dec 2020. The Steam nominees werent decided until the 17th December and the voting ran from 22nd December to Jan 3rd. So Cyberpunk was definitely released before the 2020 Steam nominations and voting.

Man of Honour
I thought goty was an award given by something else. So when wither 3 was crowned game of the year, that was through steam, voted by the players?

Everything has a GOTY, PCGamer has a GOTY, every individual gamer has their own GOTY, there are The Game Awards who give out a GOTY, various streamers have a GOTY, Steam has a GOTY, RockPaperShotgun has a GOTY, Epic Games has a GOTY, GOG gives out a GOTY, IGN gives out a GOTY and so on, there are dozens of GOTYs, all each of us has to do is decide which awards are meaningful to each of us. For some people what Steam gives the GOTY to is irrelevant, for others they wont care what IGN awards its GOTY to, others wont care what The Game Awards gives its GOTY to etc etc.

The GOTY is like World Championship Boxing titles, there are more than 1, you just have to decide whether the IBF is more important than the WBO or WBA titles :D

In that respect there isnt a singular "THE" GOTY. Hence why everyone in this thread has been specifically saying the Steam GOTY.

Associate
The game is early access so it shouldn't be eligible for awards imo

Just sick of eternal early access states. The game is plenty good to be made final already

Man of Honour
How can they charge £15 for a game in early access ? Paying for beta?

Its not too bad really, means you get the game for £15. I remember paying £7 for the early access of Subnautica, what a bargain that turned out to be, the game was worth WAY more than £7 :)

Come to think of it, I've done pretty well with a few early access purchases, £5 for Oxygen Not Included (ended up with over 500 hours in that one, snip at £5 for the game), £10 for Hell Let Loose, superb game, another bargain for a tenner :D

Back
Top Bottom