VARcical Decision

Is it right that they “can’t do anything” as they say once the game has started?

Seems like VAR caught it and got the decision right but there was a **** up on the timing. They’ll obviously have to work through how to get this right.

The PGMOL have confirmed a new VAR communication protocol is to be developed and the VAR will now have to confirm his decision with the assistant VAR before confirming it to the onfield officials.

I suspect sooner or later Darren England will no longer be working for the PGMOL and not just as a result of this incident. He's now been involved in numerous VAR mistakes with the previous one being confirmed just days before this match.
Good luck to any team playing Liverpool in the next few games, they’re not getting a single free kick! I jest of course but with the hysteria and conspiracies surrounding this, I can’t imagine this doesn’t weigh on the ref’s mind more than the other team’s matches
You say that but the ref is supposed to have been informed of the **** up at HT and then proceeded to book every Liverpool player he possibly could in the 2nd half :p

You kind of see where it’s gone wrong with the audio there.

Although, I think they should change the way they speak.

It sound really ******* stupid but -

He was offside.

He was onside.

It’s handball, give the penalty.

It’s not hand ball, no penalty.

Foul, red card + penalty/free kick.

Foul, yellow card + penalty free kick.

No foul.

What is hard about using that rather than some bull **** check complete stuff that no body would ever say.

Is it right that they “can’t do anything” as they say once the game has started?

Seems like VAR caught it and got the decision right but there was a **** up on the timing. They’ll obviously have to work through how to get this right.

This annoyed me as well, why not just say to the fourth/ref

‘look we’ve have ****** up, stop the game, speak to the managers and award the goal’ Get it put up on the screen/tannoy so the fans know whats going on.

Then this entire thing doesn’t happen.

Last edited:
Exactly and it led to us being fined 25k for 7 yellows and 2 reds.

Edit: The two guys in VAR sound thick AF, neither had a clue what was going on. Both need to be sacked rather than suspended.

Last edited:

Dale Johnson covered this in his weekly VAR review article. VAR protocol says they can't however he could have decided to ignore that and there is a VAR management team at Stockley Park that had the authority to tell them to do it too. Interestingly the audio appears to show Michael Oliver (the 4th official) telling them to as well.

And just to clarify what happened as you say the VAR got it right - the VAR managed to completely miss the lino twice saying it's offside and believed the goal was given onfield. He's then carried out the check, shown it was onside and simply confirmed "check complete" believing he was confirming the goal. It was only after then does the tech guy, whose job it is to run the system, points out they messed up and the onfield decision was offside.

Dale Johnson covered this in his weekly VAR review article. VAR protocol says they can't however he could have decided to ignore that and there is a VAR management team at Stockley Park that had the authority to tell them to do it too. Interestingly the audio appears to show Michael Oliver (the 4th official) telling them to as well.
In your other post you mentioned the communication protocol being reviewed which should sort this. They should (I think they already do) show “VAR check in progress” on the stadium screens and the decision then the crowd, players and officials will be able to see if the check was completed before play continues.

Still.dont understand what they are doing between the check complete call and spurs taking the free kick, did they go for a coffee or a fag after they called it.
Its literally half a second - var says 'check complete' - ref says 'off, play on' - Spurs take the free kick (in the wrong position btw)

Last edited:
Its literally half a second - var says 'check complete' - ref says 'off, play on' - Spurs take the free kick (in the wrong position btw)
It was bizarre that it was so quick. At least take 30 seconds to confirm. We’ve had longer VAR delays before.

I've just realised, when they're applying the 2d line to check the offside, the screen even says "checking disallowed goal - offside". So not only does the VAR and his assistant miss the lino twice confirm the offside, he managed to miss the statement on his screen saying it was offside too. That's some achievement.

I've just realised, when they're applying the 2d line to check the offside, the screen even says "checking disallowed goal - offside". So not only does the VAR and his assistant miss the lino twice confirm the offside, he managed to miss the statement on his screen saying it was offside too. That's some achievement.
almost willful it its negligence :p

I am going against the grain here but I expected it to be far worse. Seemed to be quite calm in their decision making. None of those people needs suspending or worse :rolleyes: That, for me, at least is process failure and lack of training on these processes. They should be trained to confirm decisions back to each other and confirm all parties are in agreement before passing anything back to the onfield team.

Fans and pundits have played a contributing factor here as well, saying things like how does it take to check X I mean I could tell that in 1 second etc etc.

For me think air traffic control and you wouldn’t be far off the mark. Appreciate most will disagree with me, but there is no need to have a fall guy on this one.

Back
Top Bottom