VARcical Decision

Exactly as stated, the club wants answers around the decision and process, empty words are meaningless. If they dont get them they will explore what options are available.
That's not what it says though. It says that they are exploring escalation and resolution in the meantime.

What does escalation mean? I'm pretty sure that the top end of the PGMOL is already looking at it. Who are they planning to escalate to? The Courts? CAS?

That's not what it says though. It says that they are exploring escalation and resolution in the meantime.

What does escalation mean? I'm pretty sure that the top end of the PGMOL is already looking at it.
Are they? Are you sure about that? The statement they issued of 'human error' seems to me that they consider the matter closed. Just an internal review. What's the process involved in the internal review? Will it be made public? It's the exact same statement whenever an error of this nature is made and we dont know what, if any changes are made to stop those from happening again - I think it was Baz that made the point they get to mark their homework in secret, there is zero accountability.

Why else do you think certain pundits/media are saying we should drop it?
Who are they planning to escalate to? The Courts? CAS?
If satisfactory explainations arent forthcoming then 1st port of call would be the PL/FA then CAS..

Last edited:
PGMOL could do with just turning on the TV and watching some of the Rugby WC to see how to run a video refereeing system.

Have the VAR ref mic broadcast...so everyone knows immediately what is going on. 'Hey bob, checking for potential penalty'. They even have the whole VAR room camera'd up and broadcast now. All the dialogue back and forth between the ref and VAR ref is broadcast so it's 100% crystal clear what is being checked, and why. The rules on 'clear and obvious' are, well, clear and obvious.

It is exceedingly rare that there is a contentious VAR decision in rugby, and we are dealing with similarly fine margins on in-touch and try-scoring decisions.

It's just staggering that football makes such a consistent mess of it. Are they secretly trying to get it binned or something?

By all accounts we requested the var audio etc after the game, given the last paragraph it would seem the pgmol have basically said nah, not happening.

You've already got neville backtracking on his statements after the game because the pgmol apolgised - as pointed out by Cates yesterday they haven't. We (every club) has essentially got 2 options, continue to accept var in its current form or try and bring 'transparency' to the process. Every fan of every club has been saying the same thing since its inception, but all of a sudden because its Liverpool they'll quite happily take the side of the pgmol and we should just shut up and accept it. **** that.
This could have happened to any club and you would have opposition fans laughing at it. That is what opposition fans do, its part of what makes footy so much fun.

No one knows what changes are going to be made in the next few days, maybe wait and see what measures they put in place to make sure this doesn't happen again.

I'm just waiting for Liverpool to ask for a replay, that will complete the circle.

Last edited by a moderator:
If satisfactory explainations arent forthcoming then 1st port of call would be the PL/FA then CAS..
I get that. But what will be achieved? They will review processes and systems to try to stop this happening again. Offside errors have been made before with VAR, just never this blatant. What will CAS do? I doubt they will be able to fine the FA as they are not responsible and do not have the power to change the result.

I'm just waiting for Liverpool to ask for a replay, that will complete the circle.
Already doing the rounds in reports, including gems such as replaying from only when the goal would have happened with the goal standing, red cards all rescinded and Liverpool with 11 men and played at a neutral venue (obviously spurs shouldn’t have a home advantage for a replacement home fixture..)

I doubt LFC will even ask, but hilarious that fans think it is even possible.

Last edited:
This could have happened to any club and you would have opposition fans laughing at it. That is what opposition fans do, its part of what makes footy so much fun.
Here's Neville changing his mind after all the stuff he was spouting after the game.

No one knows what changes are going to be made in the next few days, maybe wait and see what measures they put in place to make sure this doesn't happen again.
Remind me again what changes have been made whenever VAR gets an objective decision wrong and they have issued an 'apology' previously? Given the amount of errors made previously and reviews and process improvements then VAR would be improving would it not? Is it? Is it getting better? Is it better now than when it was first implemented?

Last edited by a moderator:
I get that. But what will be achieved? They will review processes and systems to try to stop this happening again. Offside errors have been made before with VAR, just never this blatant. What will CAS do? I doubt they will be able to fine the FA as they are not responsible and do not have the power to
CAS have the sasme power as other courts, if nessessary they can get some change implemented
change the result.
Why do you think it's about changing the result?

Already doing the rounds in reports, including gems such as replaying from only when the goal would have happened with the goal standing, red cards all rescinded and Liverpool with 11 men and played at a neutral venue (obviously spurs shouldn’t have a home advantage for a replacement home fixture..)

I doubt LFC will even ask, but hilarious that fans think it is even possible.
not a chance that happens, changes if any will be made going forward
The LOTG state

Match validity

In principle, a match is not invalidated because of:
malfunction(s) of the VAR technology (as for goal line technology (GLT))
wrong decision(s) involving the VAR (as the VAR is a match official)
decision(s) not to review an incident
review(s) of a non-reviewable situation/decision

Last edited:
CAS have the sasme power as other courts, if nessessary they can get some change implemented

Why do you think it's about changing the result?
CAS has limited powers and is generally setup to look at arbitration between parties or how the rules of the sporting body are being fairy applied. It is clear there was an error, but what do you expect CAS to say when they report back in 6-12 months?

We have had players given a yellow card when they didn’t commit fouls, goals that have crossed the line not awarded pre-VAR and since we have still had errors including offside errors. The FA and PGMOL need to review processes certainly, but I don’t see what value CAS will offer. They are good for reviewing complex procedural issues to do with financial investigations, but to my knowledge have never made changes or recommendations for the sort of mistake seen on Saturday.

There seems so be a lot of emphasis this morning regrading the VAR officials working in the UAE pro league on only Thursday evening, less than 48 hours before the premier league game, which included a 6 hour flight.

If this investigation/review concludes, I wonder if they will stipulate they can only officiate in the EPL only.

CAS has limited powers and is generally setup to look at arbitration between parties or how the rules of the sporting body are being fairy applied. It is clear there was an error, but what do you expect CAS to say when they report back in 6-12 months?

We have had players given a yellow card when they didn’t commit fouls, goals that have crossed the line not awarded pre-VAR and since we have still had errors including offside errors. The FA and PGMOL need to review processes certainly, but I don’t see what value CAS will offer. They are good for reviewing complex procedural issues to do with financial investigations, but to my knowledge have never made changes or recommendations for the sort of mistake seen on Saturday.
There's always a first time for everything though, given what's at stake these days transparency, accountability and impartiality should be the bare minimum we as football fans accept. The pgmol need all these things moreso now then ever, you've had the Mike Dean comments regarding ignoring the laws of the game because he didn't want his mate to get it 'in the neck', Halsey's comments a few years back about being told to lie in post match reports by the pgmol, the current refereeing scandal in la liga and yet constant dubious decisions by officals are met with a shrug of the shoulder generally over here by fans/pundits etc. The 1st step would be to get rid of any subjectivity from the game.

Last edited:
There seems so be a lot of emphasis this morning regrading the VAR officials working in the UAE pro league on only Thursday evening, less than 48 hours before the premier league game, which included a 6 hour flight.

If this investigation/review concludes, I wonder if they will stipulate they can only officiate in the EPL only.
I'm not sure it made any real difference but it just looks bad and it feeds into a lot of paranoid football fans wild conspiracies. There will be nuts on twitter claiming that City paid the officials while they were over in the UAE. It is surprising that as part of their contract they were allowed to do take the job so close to a PL fixture. Maybe they were given permission because the FA were scared of losing them to the Saudi League :o If only we could sell a few of them to the Saudi's.

Anyway, Dale Johnson has released his weekly VAR review below in which he confirms that it was possible for the match to be brought back after Spurs took the restart:
Seven seconds later, the VAR team realised what happened. Panic set in, but they decided they couldn't go against protocol and let play continue. But in this situation, where a very serious error has been identified within seconds of the restart, football would rather the VAR went against protocol to achieve the fairest outcome for the game. The match should have been stopped. Not only did the VAR team fail to react, but also the management team who could have stepped in and told the VAR team to roll the game back. There was the opportunity fix it, and it was missed.

Yet more human errors that will be brushed under the carpet.

Despite having all the time in the world to review decisions, NFL officials still make a lot of wrong calls (they got a big call in the Chiefs v Jets game last night wrong for example).

Human errors are always going to happen. The great thing about football is that it’s a game of fine margins. The better team doesn’t always win. Unfortunately that also means that a couple of refereeing errors can have a huge impact on a result.

The two massively wrong calls in that game last night were not reviewable (or VAR eligible in other words).
The general officiating is fairly garbage and inconsistent in NFL, reviewable plays generally (considering how many occur) go on without issue

It is also a much tougher game to officiate than football, hence you have like 6 of them and they are basically stationary the entire play :D

I'm not sure it made any real difference but it just looks bad and it feeds into a lot of paranoid football fans wild conspiracies. There will be nuts on twitter claiming that City paid the officials while they were over in the UAE.
Definitely this, regardless of whether or not the travel affected them it was madness to have PL officials, go and work in the UAE just prior to then officiating a game between Liverpool and Spurs, 2 of the current rivals to a UAE owned Man City. Its simply food for conspiracy talk. A bonkers decision.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it made any real difference but it just looks bad and it feeds into a lot of paranoid football fans wild conspiracies. There will be nuts on twitter claiming that City paid the officials while they were over in the UAE. It is surprising that as part of their contract they were allowed to do take the job so close to a PL fixture. Maybe they were given permission because the FA were scared of losing them to the Saudi League :o If only we could sell a few of them to the Saudi's.

Anyway, Dale Johnson has released his weekly VAR review below in which he confirms that it was possible for the match to be brought back after Spurs took the restart:

Yet more human errors that will be brushed under the carpet.

Or maybe the PL should be paying them more? So they don’t have to be flying out to ref games in the Middle East.

Although I think this is just an excuse for the error as there sitting watching the football. Not running around.

I’ve done 14h flights then happily watched the football before going to bed and I can assure you I wouldn’t have got that decision wrong after reviewing it.

Last edited:
In particular, it's the "In the meantime, we will explore the range of options available, given the clear need for escalation and resolution". That's a very thinly veiled threat, and clearly includes discussions with their lawyers (as a lawyer, it reads a lot like stuff I've put in letters myself). It's a completely needless paragraph and changes the tone of the whole statement

I haven't worked in the legal industry but in both finance and tech those are not unfamiliar statements.
I don't think it at all implies they are in discussions with their lawyers.

However, it does appropriately clarify the tone at the end of the statement that change is very much needed.

Back
Top Bottom