VARcical Decision

Aye. That's one of the many many many issues with the officiating from the game. It seems as if none of the protocols in place were ever followed.
That’s just it, I’m not sure there are protocols and procedures. These should be laid down in stone. Things like the very first question out of the VAR referees mouth should be ‘what was the onfield call?’ So there’s no confusion. Then any contentious fouls should be played back at normal speed, from the five or ten seconds previous so there’s none of this freeze frame making the tackle look worse than it is. Why it’s taken this long for these glaring issues to come out I don’t know.

That’s just it, I’m not sure there are protocols and procedures. These should be laid down in stone. Things like the very first question out of the VAR referees mouth should be ‘what was the onfield call?’ So there’s no confusion. Then any contentious fouls should be played back at normal speed, from the five or ten seconds previous so there’s none of this freeze frame making the tackle look worse than it is. Why it’s taken this long for these glaring issues to come out I don’t know.
There are supposed to be protocols and procedures in place as dictated by fifa and the ifab

Not sure about this requesting the VAR audio, my gut feeling is it's putting too much scrutiny on the officials if they know every word they say is going to get picked over by a team of lawyers. They already get criticised for being too slow, and now they'll want their own legal advisers sat alongside them vetting every word that comes out of their mouths, with 5min VAR checks becoming the norm.

If I give it some thought I might come to the conclusion it's fine but that's my initial reaction.

Arsenal have had some pretty dodgy VAR decisions but I'm not going to demand an inquest over it.

Last edited:
Not sure about this requesting the VAR audio, my gut feeling is it's putting too much scrutiny on the officials if they know every word they say is going to get picked over by a team of lawyers. They already get criticised for being too slow, and now they'll want their own legal advisers sat alongside them vetting every word that comes out of their mouths, with 5min VAR checks becoming the norm.

If I give it some thought I might come to the conclusion it's fine but that's my initial reaction.

Arsenal have had some pretty dodgy VAR decisions but I'm not going to demand an inquest over it.
Its just about making sure that VAR to Ref and Ref to VAR have set wording and procedures in place. When you consider how quickly and accurately air traffic controllers pass info to/from pilots because they have procedures for the wording used, it shouldnt be hard for them to come up with proper set wording to remove ambiguity in what they are saying..instead of just saying "check complete"

They should have released the var audio themselves or scheduled the same thing they did for the errors in the 1st week of the season. The silence should be a concern to everyone.

Hell I could have knocked out a deepfake audio since Saturday night for crying out loud :p

so if we say they don’t release audio they can keep avoiding media as well they just keep being protected

they don’t face the media like players and managers do, I go back to it but why are they not willing to explain there decisions?

If there speaking in a correct and proper manner releasing audio shouldn’t be an issue at all.

so if we say they don’t release audio they can keep avoiding media as well they just keep being protected

they don’t face the media like players and managers do, I go back to it but why are they not willing to explain there decisions?

If there speaking in a correct and proper manner releasing audio shouldn’t be an issue at all.
They probably have to edit the audio first to filter out the SFX in the background of FC24 on the xbox that they were playing instead of watching what was happening on the pitch.

MCFC and PIFC
Who are PIFC? Mcfc Man City?
who makes the decision to only show a still on the VAR monitor?? or in fact a very slow slo-mo.. almost any tackle viewed in ultra slow mo can look really bad..

I'm not saying the Jones tackle was not a red.. but given lots of ex-football players were saying it's not.. i'd take their opinion over most others..

on the Jota one.. completely this.. ^^^
Ex players don’t agree with the rules is what they generally mean. By the rules it was a red, if you don’t agree with the rules (which I don’t) that’s a different discussion.

Here's Neville changing his mind after all the stuff he was spouting after the game.

Remind me again what changes have been made whenever VAR gets an objective decision wrong and they have issued an 'apology' previously? Given the amount of errors made previously and reviews and process improvements then VAR would be improving would it not? Is it? Is it getting better? Is it better now than when it was first implemented?

Do you really want to be using a Gary Neville tweet? The guy is an idiot. I've lost count of how many bad takes he has on what I've been watching. Sky really does have some of the very worst pundits working for it. Most are stuck in the time they played the game but the game has moved on. Just like how the Likes of Hansen were moved on for a younger generation, I would be moving on the likes of Neville, Redknapp (probably the worst of the lot) and Carragher as well.

On Liverpool's statement, it was great until this line "In the meantime, we will explore the range of options available, given the clear need for escalation and resolution." Whoever allowed that line to be put in needs a serious talking to, after how well Klopp handled it the club has dropped the ball there.

There hasn't been a mistake remotely as bad as this one before. Offsides by mm, fouls missed, pens missed etc are very often subjective but this was clearly a massive **** up on what was a clearly onside goal. However it was just human error, there is no hint of it being in any way corrupt, humans make mistakes and clearly they need to change how VAR and the on field officials communicate. If they do nothing then you'll have a case to complain but its been just over 48 hours and everyone should wait and see what changes they decide to bring. Personally I would have it so everyone hears the conversation, both on TV and in the stadiums and the language should change so it is crystal clear what the decision is and why.

Do you really want to be using a Gary Neville tweet? The guy is an idiot. I've lost count of how many bad takes he has on what I've been watching. Sky really does have some of the very worst pundits working for it. Most are stuck in the time they played the game but the game has moved on. Just like how the Likes of Hansen were moved on for a younger generation, I would be moving on the likes of Neville, Redknapp (probably the worst of the lot) and Carragher as well.
Yes, because he epitomised the shift from 'we need to stop these errors, somethings not right' to 'saying sorry is enough' (which they haven't done btw)

Younger generation? Oh god no, it'll just be these social media muppets
There hasn't been a mistake remotely as bad as this one before. Offsides by mm, fouls missed, pens missed etc are very often subjective but this was clearly a massive **** up on what was a clearly onside goal.
There should be zero errors with objective decisions such as offside, there are though from missing camera angles, to the wrong phase of play, to incorrect players, to attacking player shadows used as the furthest point forward. None of this should happen as it's precisely why var was bought into the game and yet they do and people just shrug their shoulders.
However it was just human error, there is no hint of it being in any way corrupt, humans make mistakes and clearly they need to change how VAR and the on field officials communicate.
we'll see.
Personally I would have it so everyone hears the conversation, both on TV and in the stadiums and the language should change so it is crystal clear what the decision is and why.
I'd get rid of subjective decisions first personally.

There hasn't been a mistake remotely as bad as this one before. Offsides by mm, fouls missed, pens missed etc are very often subjective but this was clearly a massive **** up on what was a clearly onside goal.
There has, goal line tech has completely failed before denying the team a perfectly legitimate goal, even more of a mess than this example as there’s nothing subjective when it comes to a static area. This isn’t an exclusive situation that’s only happened to Liverpool.

There has, goal line tech has completely failed before denying the team a perfectly legitimate goal, even more of a mess than this example as there’s nothing subjective when it comes to a static area. This isn’t an exclusive situation that’s only happened to Liverpool.
Yup bmouth were relegated by a point after the hawkeye tech failed to give a goal for Sheffield utd against villa

One thing I find slightly amusing but also concerning from some of the comments on here is the willingness just to accept the "human error" line and move on without any sort of investigation. It may prove to be the case but surely you want to find out and hear what actually happened so we know what went wrong and put it right? We literally had an ex ref just a few weeks ago admit to not overruling an onfield call because his mate was having a hard time and another ex ref has previously admitted that the PGMOL asked him to lie for them.

But that is a technical failure, not a human one. Technical failures will happen from time to time, human mistakes will happen form time to time. No system will be perfect and anyone expecting it to be so will be in for disappointment.

One thing I find slightly amusing but also concerning from some of the comments on here is the willingness just to accept the "human error" line and move on without any sort of investigation. It may prove to be the case but surely you want to find out and hear what actually happened so we know what went wrong and put it right? We literally had an ex ref just a few weeks ago admit to not overruling an onfield call because his mate was having a hard time and another ex ref has previously admitted that the PGMOL asked him to lie for them.

You are suggesting something corrupt might have happened here? Isn't the simplest explanation the most likely? The explanation we have heard is that it was simple human error followed by panic and failing to stop play from restarting when they realised what had happened. There is no way everyone in that room was part of a conspiracy to deny the goal. That is crazy talk for anyone (not saying you) considering it.

Yes, because he epitomised the shift from 'we need to stop these errors, somethings not right' to 'saying sorry is enough' (which they haven't done btw)

He didn't say that nothing should happen. He just said that the last line of the Liverpool statement was OTT and he's right. Sorry is all anyone is going to get here. A detailed explanation of what happened I'm sure will follow but sorry is going to feature in it.
Younger generation? Oh god no, it'll just be these social media muppets

Players retiring now have a more relevant take on todays game. Neville has shown in his comments that he is a dinosaur now, he's too long out of the game. All of them from that generation are pretty much as bad as each other.
There should be zero errors with objective decisions such as offside, there are though from missing camera angles, to the wrong phase of play, to incorrect players, to attacking player shadows used as the furthest point forward. None of this should happen as it's precisely why var was bought into the game and yet they do and people just shrug their shoulders.
That is never going to happen. Mistakes will always happen where there is a human element.
I'd get rid of subjective decisions first personally.

The problem is this is now a worldwide thing. If we were to ditch VAR here that doesn't mean UEFA or FIFA games won't use it for games involving our clubs and countries. We'd be an outlier and decisions would continue to analysed and clubs would lose games due to mistakes made by refs and lineman. The reason people waned this was because of mistakes made which cost clubs games.

Before VAR plenty of people lost points because of offside goals. Both for and against.
exactly...before VAR. We have VAR now so this simply should not be happening and has never ever happened before. Its completely unprecedented. I dont think Liverpool should get anything from it but it certainly needs investigating.

Back
Top Bottom