Varjo Aero

I've had my Aero for about 10 days or so now, and really like it for flying in DCS, combined with the dynamic foveated rendering I'm hitting 70-90 FPS in most situations with quite high settings (5900X & 3080Ti).
I agree that the desktop is blown out a bit, but reducing the brightness to 50 or 55 helps.
Also using the redshift fix helps a lot with the chromatic abberation.

Unfortunately the right lens is slightly out of focus, on mine, so I'm sending it back as I end up with eye strain after an hour or so.
Hope it's simple and quick replacement process.
How do I get the redshift fix? I’m on the latest firmware and base software

For info in case it's useful to others, the Varjo headsets have a focal length of 1.2m
I'm not sure why it's not readily availabel in the documentation, as I now know my right eye focus issue is because I'm long sighted.
So, I've still got my Aero :cool:

My eyes are rubbish too! I’ve ordered some prescription lenses which should improve things as the visuals are much better when I wear glasses but they aren’t that comfortable with the aero

Yeah, I'm using glasses at the moment, and find it a pain to get the headset off and on while takign care not to scratch the lens of the headset.
I've got several pairs of specs, but the focal length is not quite right on any of them. The weird focal length of the Aero is really messing with me.
I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the inserts you get.

I may have over reacted!
How do you feel about the headset now you've owned it for a while? I've just returned a Crystal due to a lens fault and so waiting for Amazon to refund. Tempted to try an Aero instead as the Crystal made my eyes go a bit wonky (might be the lens fault though). I tend to be quite choosey which is why I focused on the negatives in your post.

Last edited:
How do you feel about the headset now you've owned it for a while? I've just returned a Crystal due to a lens fault and so waiting for Amazon to refund. Tempted to try an Aero instead as the Crystal made my eyes go a bit wonky (might be the lens fault though). I tend to be quite choosey which is why I focused on the negatives in your post.
I’m pretty happy with it now, the comfort, fov and lack of audio are all downsides compared to my quest pro but the increased resolution is really nice for sims. If you only intend to use it for sims then it’s great but if you want to play all types of pc vr games I would pic up a quest 3 or pro instead.

I just did some back to back testing, as far as sim racing goes I could never go back to the quest pro, the aero is miles sharper

Last edited:
cheers. I'm impatient and didn't want to wait a week for the Varjo delivery so got another Crystal off Amazon.
Not a fan of the Quest Pro, I moved that headset on very fast when I owned it.

cheers. I'm impatient and didn't want to wait a week for the Varjo delivery so got another Crystal off Amazon.
Not a fan of the Quest Pro, I moved that headset on very fast when I owned it.

How is the Crystal getting on?
I have a Q3 but thinking of getting a Crystal as I'm likely selling my triple monitors.

How is the Crystal getting on?
I have a Q3 but thinking of getting a Crystal as I'm likely selling my triple monitors.
It's ok.When it's running full pelt in games ( I sometimes run 120hz half FPS to increase the resolution to SteamVR default) and it looks amazing. So the image quality is limited by my 4090 and I need more power.
I get more eye strain with it than I do with other headsets, I also suffer with chromatic aberration/doubling which is noticeable in games like Elite on the yellow orbit lines.
IMO it's overpriced by about £500 and should be £1k to 1200. Still happy I have it though. My Reverb is boxed up and won't be used again.

Last edited:
I've been struggling with eye strain too, but only in my right eye.
Varjo support informed me the focal range is 1.2m, and this made me realise that I need to use specs. My Reverb that I used previously has a focal length of 2.0m I believe.
I've just received a set of cheap glasses with my best guess prescription for that distance, first impressions are that they make it much better, but I hope to properly test them out this weekend to see if it alleviates the eye strain.

yeah, that is the plan to get prescription inserts... but with the "odd" focal length I wanted to check with cheap glasses first.
It cost me less than £16 for single vision prescription, and I figured if it was wrong then it's not great loss compared to ~£100 for inserts.

Just if any use to anyone, I had a vive delxue audio headset and decided to re-use the headphones from it on my Aero

I used the 3d files from here 3D Files
And had them printed here 3D printers using 3Designz as they were recommended and a lot cheaper than everywhere else.

Build quality seems great and I managed to get 2 X Left 2 X right and 1 X L+R of the square adapters for about £13 shipped.

Last edited:
That's really cool to know about a good 3D printing service.

I'm in the process of testing a few ideas for audio on the Aero. I've picked up a cheap splitter cable, and a decent set of earphones.. just waiting for my mic to arrive, then I'll see if it's plausible, or if I really should use some off ear speakers like you've got going on
Just if any use to anyone, I had a vive delxue audio headset and decided to re-use the headphones from it on my Aero

I used the 3d files from here 3D Files
And had them printed here 3D printers using 3Designz as they were recommended and a lot cheaper than everywhere else.

Build quality seems great and I managed to get 2 X Left 2 X right and 1 X L+R of the square adapters for about £13 shipped.

Tempted to buy an Aero with 10% off in the Black Friday deal!

for sim racing only i only need 1 base station right? no controllers ok?

Yeah, just seen that

£933inc VAT and free shipping

Tempted myself since VR1 will be double that

Just going through a few things

GPU Load

Triple 1440p = 11.05m
G2/Pico4 2160x2160 (3120x3120)x2 = 19.46m
Bigscreen Beyond 2560x2560 (3292x3292)x2 = 21.67m
Triple 4K = 24.88m
*Pico3 200% (3664x3840)x2 = 28.13m
Varjo Aero 2880x2720 (4148x3556)x2 = 29.50m *(+5%)
Somnium VR1 2880x2880 (4436x4158)x2 = 36.88m *(+31%)
Crystal 2880x2800 (4312x5100)x2 = 43.98m *(+56%)

FOV TestHMD v1.2

Varjo Aero 80v 110h

G2 80v 88h
Quest 2 88v 88h
Bigscreen Beyond 88v 94h
Pico 4 96v 96h
Quest 3 98v 100h
Crystal 102v 100h

Price (inc VAT and shipping)

Varjo Aero - £933
Bigscreen - £1,149
Crystal Sim Edition - £1,335