Varjo Aero

SNIP

Varjo Aero - £933inc VAT and shipping
Crystal Sim Edition - £1,335inc VAT and shipping

the problem with the Crystal for me is that it looks so bulky and old school where the Aero looks top class and i've got a Reverb G2 with the inside out tracking and it's shocking it always put me off using it for league racing the Quest 3 seems rock solid but i do miss the crisp display port image

the problem with the Crystal for me is that it looks so bulky and old school where the Aero looks top class and i've got a Reverb G2 with the inside out tracking and it's shocking it always put me off using it for league racing the Quest 3 seems rock solid but i do miss the crisp display port image

Yeah, crystal far too big and heavy for me as well

I'm really tempted

Had email today to say that BF offer is available to the 3rd of Dec on aero. Going to at least wait for varjo 4 announcement before making a decision

Ps - i dont think the aero does 72hz despite the marketing

Had email today to say that BF offer is available to the 3rd of Dec on aero. Going to at least wait for varjo 4 announcement before making a decision

Yeah, worth waiting for Monday at least. I might try and test out the aeros fov in my current headset to see how I find it.

Sold my Quest 2 and G2 now so the cash is burning a hole in my pocket :cry:

problem is the new Varjo even if it is an Aero 2 will be at least £2k+ i just can't justify that to the wife :rolleyes:

Well I bit the bullet and ordered, I just hope it isn't too much of a step down visually from the Crystal. Managed to get 2x Base Station mk1 and 2x Vive wands from cash converters for £130 total so not too bad.

Varjo Aero 80v 110h

G2 80v 88h
That's the original G2 not the v2 with the wider FOV isn't it? So I can put the gasket extender in my G2v2 and see a Varjo FOV?

Last edited:
Well I bit the bullet and ordered, I just hope it isn't too much of a step down visually from the Crystal. Managed to get 2x Base Station mk1 and 2x Vive wands from cash converters for £130 total so not too bad.

That's the original G2 not the v2 with the wider FOV isn't it? So I can put the gasket extender in my G2v2 and see a Varjo FOV?
That’s a great bargain !

Why did you get rid of the crystal if you don’t mind? I’ve actually been thinking of going from aero to crystal but the bulk puts me off

The image quality from the Crystal is amazing, when it's all correct. You get the headset and immediately you're blown away with the picture. After a few days of owning it things start to annoy you. The fit is terrible, it just clamps you with 2 points on the front and back, no side support at all so it wobbles all over the place when you turn your head.
The image has slight doubling the further away from the centre you look. Stars and orbit lines in Elite Dangerous look like those red/green 3d glasses with chromatic aberration, but it doesn't double in other things.
The audio is out of sync and the new firmware fix gets rid of the bass completely and makes the £150 DMAS headphones sound worse than £5 throw away junk headphones on those cheap walkman things.
The headset doesn't work like a regular DisplayPort headset. It needs to connect and log you in to the PC, like what a Quest or Pico does. This is finicky. You run the Pimax software and hold the power button on the headset. Sometimes it works, other times the headset turns off again. Sometimes I spent 5 minutes just trying to get the thing to show the PC image in the headset.
My eye tracking stopped working towards the end of my Amazon return window. My options were to deal with Pimax support, which I wouldn't wish on anyone, or return it for a refund. I took the refund.

If i want to upgrade from an index can i keep the base stations and controller and just add the aero, for sim racing will it be a big step forward?

yes you can use the controllers and base stations.

I think the Index has half the amount of pixels per eye. It'll be a huge step up - if you have the PC horsepower to run it

The image quality from the Crystal is amazing, when it's all correct. You get the headset and immediately you're blown away with the picture. After a few days of owning it things start to annoy you. The fit is terrible, it just clamps you with 2 points on the front and back, no side support at all so it wobbles all over the place when you turn your head.
The image has slight doubling the further away from the centre you look. Stars and orbit lines in Elite Dangerous look like those red/green 3d glasses with chromatic aberration, but it doesn't double in other things.
The audio is out of sync and the new firmware fix gets rid of the bass completely and makes the £150 DMAS headphones sound worse than £5 throw away junk headphones on those cheap walkman things.
The headset doesn't work like a regular DisplayPort headset. It needs to connect and log you in to the PC, like what a Quest or Pico does. This is finicky. You run the Pimax software and hold the power button on the headset. Sometimes it works, other times the headset turns off again. Sometimes I spent 5 minutes just trying to get the thing to show the PC image in the headset.
My eye tracking stopped working towards the end of my Amazon return window. My options were to deal with Pimax support, which I wouldn't wish on anyone, or return it for a refund. I took the refund.
Thanks for the detailed reply, I will stick with my aero then as the comfort is pretty good and it works every time straight away. I have fitted vive das headphones to mine as well so the audio is pretty good now.

Back
Top Bottom