Varjo Aero

Fedex *********. First it was 9am-1pm. Then it changed to 11am-3pm. Checked email at 3pm and it says "failed delivery" and it's rebooked for tomorrow. I've sat all day waiting for it. grr

Gutted, hate when that happens, at least have it before the weekend. I had something similar with them as think they use electric vans and had to take it back to charge

I got mine today! it throws a paddy unless i unplug it and plug it back in on first boot which is a pain, the fan is ANNOYING when you're just sitting in the desktop but it does keep you cool! ive been in it for hours messing about with my sims it is amazingly clear and considering i haven't worked how to get openXR working yet with foveated rendering in the sims (if you even can) the performance is pretty good but then i do have a 4090 :S

The Quest 3 definately spoiled me though as it's just that good! first impressions the Aero looks a lot better than the quest 3 but the quest 3 lenses are better imo it's swings and roundabouts but i'll have a longer play and report back :)

i'd say the Quest 3 gets you a good 90% of the visuals of the Aero though and with no faffing about for media I’d rather the quest 3 as the lenses are better even with their slight blooming the are no god rays or blooming in the Aero but the edge clarity isn’t as good as the Quest 3 and no annoying fan

No dead pixels in mine that I’ve seen, no screen door effect at all, I have 1 base station and the tracking is OK I may invest in another the Quest 3 tracking seems better atm

Last edited:
i'd say the Quest 3 gets you a good 90% of the visuals of the Aero though
Really? The Crystal image clarity was so far ahead of the Reverb/Pico/Quest Pro etc that it was like going from a 720p monitor to a 4k monitor.
The SteamVR screen with the vector type spider web on the floor, when you got close to the lines they were so fine without pixelation or anything.

Last edited:
Really? The Crystal image clarity was so far ahead of the Reverb/Pico/Quest Pro etc that it was like going from a 720p monitor to a 4k monitor.
Yeah but then I do super sample a lot over the link cable to about 5000 pixel width in Assetto Corsa it is clearer of course but not massive but then I’ve not tinkered enough this is basically out of the box settings

The SteamVR screen with the vector type spider web on the floor, when you got close to the lines they were so fine without pixelation or anything.
I still have the Qpro, the aero and crystal are both miles clearer you don’t realise how bad it is until you go back to it and that was with link cable and the resolution as high as it goes in the oculus software.

ok so after getting foveated rendering and adjusting the resolution the Aero visually kicks the crap out of the Quest 3 :cry: but the lenses are still better in the Q3 i'd say you get about 75 - 85% of the visuals with the Q3 cranked to the max over link cable but even with 950Mbps encode you can still see slight compression the display port on the Aero is sooooo crisp let down by the lenses that are ok but feel like they are struggling somehow it's a strange feeling like software is overcoming a lot of visual problems anyway that's my 2p worth

will i keep the Aero......

Yes as it really does look the business even with the wobbly world :cry:

Mine finally turned up. Got it working. Played 2 minutes of Elite and 1 lap of AMS2. PPD is at 37. It's ok. Would've been upset if it cost £2k though. £1k is ok.
Crystal is the better headset for visuals. The clarity is the same but it's like watching a movie on a glossy TV vs a matt TV. One pops. I'll get used to it. I hated the Reverb when I got that but now I love it. Weird how it works.

It's just different, takes time climatising. The chromatic aberration is much less in the Aero and I don't get eye strain trying to focus on distant objects. Skyrim looked quite good, objects looked more "real" solid than I've seen before. Skyrim depth always looked off in the Crystal.
What is obvious from the Crystal to Aero is in Elite, that the orange cockpit actually has a glow to it on the Crystal, like it's an LED illuminating, while on the Aero it's a little flat.
I'm keeping it though. Nice and comfortable and feels good to have actual decent audio from headphones again rather than those off ear things.

once i get all the sims maxed out with no dropping of frames it'll be great but the wibbly wobblyness does take you by surprise, the more i'm using the less i notice it to be fair! i think i suffer zero eye strain in the Quest 3 as the lenses are nearly perfect except for the glare in the aero i do sometimes have that thing where objects appear in the wrong plane and you have to really concentrate to get it back maybe just me? but overall it's pretty good but i wouldn't of been happy paying £2k+ on it too

also to add the FOV isn't as bad as i thought vertically its terrible but horizantally it's ok (a little less than the quest 3 but more than the G2) for racing sims thats fine the only other thing that i've never seen mentioned is the reflections off the black plastic that hide the eye tracking infrareds somethimes i really notice the reflection of the screen flickering maybe it's my face shape?

It seems to be getting better the more i use it! i suppose you have to get used to it's quirks!
I think you're quite possibly hitting the nail on the head there.
At first I wasn't so impressed, I thought it was a little like what I imagined having a cateract would be like, a kind of milky appearance. But now I can't imagine how I even thought that.

Back
Top Bottom