• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

VEGA IS FINALLY HERE, ITS IN STOCK ALONG WITH SOME EPIC BUNDLES & FREESYNC DEALS!!

Caporegime
There was a thread on reddit with some questionable evidence a lot of miners had bought in and will now be returning them, also many scalpers.

I can't see how freesync and excellent compute performance for the price made this the best VGA launch for years according to Gibbo.

HHHmmm They should have done their research.

Like the Fury-X and probably for the same reason Vega is NOT a good mining card, the performance is good, not great, while the power consumption is bad.

If people are buying these for mining they haven't done their research.

They get about 34M/Hs at 350 watts

Compare that to a GTX 1070 which gets about 30M/Hs at 180 watts

Or the coin diggers favourite, the RX 480 which nets you about 30M/Hs at 140 Watts.

Caporegime
I've checked again as I must have been looking at the 1080ti FE, compared to the 1080 FE it's a 3-7db difference which will definitely be noticeable but not 3-4 times the noise to your ear, not even 2x unless you're on open bench on your desk with the thing right next to you.

ope, checked a few reviews and 7gb difference at least. e.g. http://www.anandtech.com/show/11717/the-amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-and-56-review/19
in BF 56.4 - 49.4 =7db difference or about twice the volume.

Associate
Like the Fury-X and probably for the same reason Vega is NOT a good mining card, the performance is good, not great, while the power consumption is bad.

Or the coin diggers favourite, the RX 480 which nets you about 30M/Hs at 140 Watts.
Some will have seen the recent rumour about very high hashrates on a lot of the tech sites and probably dived in before realising it was incorrect.

Associate
Some will have seen the recent rumour about very high hashrates on a lot of the tech sites and probably dived in before realising it was incorrect.

Wasn't that same rumour almost officially promoted on this site? I know that Gibbo just reiterating a rumour doesn't make it true, but it certainly made me think it had some weight to it.

Caporegime
Wasn't that same rumour almost officially promoted on this site? I know that Gibbo just reiterating a rumour doesn't make it true, but it certainly made me think it had some weight to it.

That's where it came from, then some forum members felt the need to spread it to tech sites.

Associate
Didn't like to mention any names :D.

Gibbo did qualify it by saying the rumour could be rubbish but it didn't stop it becoming an internet sensation :D

Caporegime
Yes there are several Vega threads but most of them are pre Launch and i think this is valuable information that deserves more than getting buried after 10 minutes in already over bloated old threads.

AdoredTV discovered some very interesting aspects to the AIO cooler Vega 64.

In short it has 3 power to performance balancing modes, Turbo, Balanced and Power Saver.

What he found was performance in games Turbo mode vs Balanced the difference was 2 or 3 FPS out of 140+, a power difference of 90 Watts.
In Power Saver mode the performance was down about 10 FPS whilst the power was down another 100 Watts, totalling 190 watts down on power consumption. WHAT? :O

What do you guys think of this? maybe this is some feedback to AMD, is it worth them producing a 400 watt GPU when the same GPU running at 200 Watts is only a little slower?

OcUK Staff
OP
That's where it came from, then some forum members felt the need to spread it to tech sites.

And out of context of my future replies. But still I am interested in seeing what the card can do.

Because an I state in BIG CAPITAL LETTER *RUMOUR*, but we had a miner ring us today begging to allow him to send money in our bank to be first in the queue for VEGA's, even was willing to pay £800 per card, when quizzed over why so desperate, he was of the firm believe that with some hacking they could get 80 hash, we did not go into details but suggested they believe nothing until seen, but at the same time we have no idea about what specific coin, currency they were mining. In short we said look, unfortunately were not opening VEGA to miners, irrelevant of what you offer, the product is in severe shortage and both AMD&OcUK want VEGA to go to gamers, hence it shall remain at 1pc per customer until supply is in the thousands. Then if your still so crazy mad for these things, you can buy some, but he was very insistent a single VEGA could nearly match three 1070's, when I heard this I was shocked because to my knowledge the max they do is around 40 hash so far, but of course the professional miners have not got VEGA yet. As such there is no telling what these guys do, they could be hacking driver, BIOS, modding the card in some way or are just completely mental and living on a pipe dream.

Right now if your mining, read the reviews and believe the hash rates published there but at the same time I am sorry but VEGA shall be reserved for gamers and gamers ONLY until supply is enough for all.

On the plus side around 2000 RX 580's are due in the next few days! :)

Soldato

All my 1070s do 30-31 @ 105-110w. They don't need 100% power for best performance, so Vega is a million miles away.

Caporegime
AMD willl be fully aware of the power-performance of thee different ones, they are ones that finalized these numbers after lots of calculations and sampling thousands of cores.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The V64 is pretty terrible for mining, this high demand is all on gamers (seems FreeSync is more popular than we thought) and workstation users (half the price of the Titan XP and trades professional performance)
If you see Gibbo's post, you will see I was right, miners are interested and trying to buy Vega ;)

So your assumption is wrong :p

Back
Top Bottom