• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

VEGA IS FINALLY HERE, ITS IN STOCK ALONG WITH SOME EPIC BUNDLES & FREESYNC DEALS!!

Caporegime
Tbh, i don't think theres any coming, as we'd have heard about them long before now, like you always do when a new GPU launches, but we've heard absolutely nothing, all we know is, Asus are doing a ref 64 with a Strix cooler, and a 56, that will also have a Strix cooler.

No wonder Raja has been put on Gardening leave, as Vega has been an absolute shambles, it says a lot when your AIBs are not even interested in it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm sure they will bother because they can make a profit doing so. The quality and effort put into designs is another matter but Im not sure Vega is expensive for them to push out a model with a nicer fan on it and gain sales. I just dont think they can do a lot to enhance performance this time, its more Nvidia where its a bigger thing so its just about noise and looks perhaps.

They can beat the premium on that liquid cooler I'd hope

Associate
Tbh, i don't think theres any coming, as we'd have heard about them long before now, like you always do when a new GPU launches, but we've heard absolutely nothing, all we know is, Asus are doing a ref 64 with a Strix cooler

I wouldn't describe the Asus Strix as just a reference 64 with a Strix cooler. The Strix board has a different VRM design, different outputs and extra fan headers and a different BIOS (Guru3D's review problem notwithstanding). Whether that justifies the premium they attach is another matter, but that goes for any of the Strixes.

Permabanned
Tbh, i don't think theres any coming, as we'd have heard about them long before now, like you always do when a new GPU launches, but we've heard absolutely nothing, all we know is, Asus are doing a ref 64 with a Strix cooler, and a 56, that will also have a Strix cooler.

No wonder Raja has been put on Gardening leave, as Vega has been an absolute shambles, it says a lot when your AIBs are not even interested in it.

One of the Sapphire workers on there website said they were wotking on some Vega cards at the moment. I know that's very vague but it sounds like they mean new models, Unlike Asus Sapphire, Powercolor and HIS are AMD only brands so if Vega's that bad that they don't want too I'd be surprised, But maybe the 500 series is enough to keep their ball rolling. If so that's probably thanks to the miners..

Last edited:
Caporegime
I wouldn't describe the Asus Strix as just a reference 64 with a Strix cooler. The Strix board has a different VRM design, different outputs and extra fan headers and a different BIOS (Guru3D's review problem notwithstanding). Whether that justifies the premium they attach is another matter, but that goes for any of the Strixes.

Might as well be, its not even OC'd, thats **** poor that for a custom, Strix cards are never just stock clocked, just no point putting the Strix cooler on the thing, the price is going to be lol worthy as well i bet.

Last edited:
Associate
Might as well be, its not even OC'd, thats **** poor that for a custom, Strix cards are never just stock clocked, just no point putting the Strix cooler on the thing, the price is going to be lol worthy as well i bet.

An OC is meant to deliver better performance by delivering higher clocks in practice. Isn't that what the Strix is doing? Out of the box it performs better than reference because it's able to sustain higher clocks given the different cooler. And without sounding like a hair dryer. I think that's the point of putting the Strix cooler on the thing!

Soldato

Problem with these kind of benchmarks (been the same for as long as I can remember) is this video shows different results.

Caporegime

Good vid and I enjoy Tech of Tomorrows vids. I am sure we will see custom cards but with such tight profit margins I expect, I would expect them to be a little more expensive.

Soldato

Most of the pascal strix cards can't clock any better than the FE version, so it's just a ref card with a better cooler. Same job.

Soldato
Is there any news on when AIB Vega 56 gpu's release? Only heard of asus and "early September"

If there were any in the pipeline, would have heard. Especially Powercolor and Sapphire should have been advertising their Nitro and Devil series.
But from both of them have heard nothing.

End especially powercolor, if you use their home link
http://www.powercolor.com/us/default.asp

The top of the page advertises the R9 290X!!!!!!

Have to go there to view their product pages to find Vega.

Soldato
Most of the pascal strix cards can't clock any better than the FE version, so it's just a ref card with a better cooler. Same job.

obviously never seen a strix card. They are so far away from reference cards that you'd actually struggle to know what it is without reading the label. Its NOT just a different cooler on a ref PCB with the Nvidia range so i doubt they will do that with the AMD range.

Soldato
obviously never seen a strix card. They are so far away from reference cards that you'd actually struggle to know what it is without reading the label. Its NOT just a different cooler on a ref PCB with the Nvidia range so i doubt they will do that with the AMD range.

Whilst that may be the case, i think his point is that if it only allows 10mhz extra or even nothing, then what is the point other than the cooler. You are probably talking $10 worth of parts to justify an extra $100 on the asking price.

Soldato
If there were any in the pipeline, would have heard. Especially Powercolor and Sapphire should have been advertising their Nitro and Devil series.
But from both of them have heard nothing.

End especially powercolor, if you use their home link
http://www.powercolor.com/us/default.asp

The top of the page advertises the R9 290X!!!!!!

Have to go there to view their product pages to find Vega.

Sapphire have been out spoken on there twitter page that vega is coming.

Back
Top Bottom