• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

VEGA IS FINALLY HERE, ITS IN STOCK ALONG WITH SOME EPIC BUNDLES & FREESYNC DEALS!!

As much as I'd like to say poor maxwell it's more like poor Vega! But a big and important 'but' is that's only one game. I know Vega 64 still loses overall (to a 1080) when a suite of games is shown but it's unfair to base judgments on just one game.

I really don't get why they don't oc the 1070 to show that it's actually faster than a Vega 56, which it is once both are oc'd.

As much as I'd like to say poor maxwell it's more like poor Vega! But a big and important 'but' is that's only one game. I know Vega 64 still loses overall (to a 1080) when a suite of games is shown but it's unfair to base judgments on just one game.

I really don't get why they don't oc the 1070 to show that it's actually faster than a Vega 56, which it is once both are oc'd.

Over a suite of games the Vega 64 is ahead in most modern titles that use newer API's and slower in older DX11 titles circa 2015. If your upgrading the question to ask yourself is what card (GTX 1080/Vega 64) will offer more going forwards. I think we all know the answer to that so while the initial Vega lunch was bad and results lackluster there are bright spots for AMD going forwards.

Look I'll be the last, ok third last after you and Jedi to defend AMD and I think Vega isn't a good product, not even close but that video is a bit skewed towards nvidia. All titles they do well in hence why the 1070 is easily and by some margin beating out the vega 56.

Personally I say oc both and run a 30 game suite

Seems hard to believe it is a yield problem with the dies : 3 possibilities:
1) HBM2 supply is still just too slow, Nvidia is taking a most of the stock at inflated prices to sell in GP100/GV100. Or perhaps the bonding is leading to lots of defects, but one would have hoped AMD would have resolved this after Fiji.
2) AMD knows Vega is a bit if a distser and wont really garner much sales. Instead, they are maximizing the output of Polaris dies that are being sold a high margins to miners. Plus Polaris level GPUs are more important to maintain Market share.
3) There is still a hardware/design defect resulting in Vega's massive power draw and lackluster performance. AMD are doing another re-spin so the AIB chip will be late but hopefully faster and cooler.

Seems hard to believe it is a yield problem with the dies : 3 possibilities:
1) HBM2 supply is still just too slow, Nvidia is taking a most of the stock at inflated prices to sell in GP100/GV100. Or perhaps the bonding is leading to lots of defects, but one would have hoped AMD would have resolved this after Fiji.
2) AMD knows Vega is a bit if a distser and wont really garner much sales. Instead, they are maximizing the output of Polaris dies that are being sold a high margins to miners. Plus Polaris level GPUs are more important to maintain Market share.
3) There is still a hardware/design defect resulting in Vega's massive power draw and lackluster performance. AMD are doing another re-spin so the AIB chip will be late but hopefully faster and cooler.

In all honesty having had Vega64 for about 3 weeks now, I see it as an utter failure, The watercooled version is as expensive as an aftermarket 1080 Ti yet is easily 50% slower, This has been a massive fail on AMD's part, To me Vega64 is a higher clocked Fury X judging by the numbers.

In all honesty having had Vega64 for about 3 weeks now, I see it as an utter failure, The watercooled version is as expensive as an aftermarket 1080 Ti yet is easily 50% slower, This has been a massive fail on AMD's part, To me Vega64 is a higher clocked Fury X judging by the numbers.

Yep a complete failure. Who wants a graphics card with this pitiful level of performance when its the current year

Back
Top Bottom