• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

VEGA IS FINALLY HERE, ITS IN STOCK ALONG WITH SOME EPIC BUNDLES & FREESYNC DEALS!!

TBH better performance was available nearly 18 months ago. 1080 is old hat now and I'm looking forward to Volta.

Unfortunately I suspect Nvidia won't release it anytime soon given how lacklustre Vega has been.
Nvidia have a long history of resting on their laurels. All of Nvidia's best products have followed a strong showing from their competitors.

Unless the AIB partners can work miracles with Vega and somehow drastically improve performance and power consumption (not gonna happen) then Nvidia will likely not bother producing Votla cards until their Pascal cards have hit saturation point and sales have dried up.

Painful isn't it.
It's disgusting and I'm in a quandary about what to do with my current PC, it's an Ivy Bridge i5 with a GTX 970 but the 970 is in bad shape. I just bought a 1440p monitor and now I want something more powerful to play with.

I've half a mind to strip it all down and sell it for parts and buy an XB1X

It's disgusting and I'm in a quandary about what to do with my current PC, it's an Ivy Bridge i5 with a GTX 970 but the 970 is in bad shape. I just bought a 1440p monitor and now I want something more powerful to play with.

Thinking along the same lines. Step off this crazy train.

Already sort of going down that road myself. Not updating my PC now as prices for most components just keep going up to a point that it's getting ludicrous. Ram prices are set to see another steep rise soon, on top of already over inflated prices, this will also affect SSD's, GPU's, basically anything that uses memory chips. Trying to budget for a PC build/upgrade is a nightmare as GPU prices a lone for example are changing day by day on here!

I'll just keep my PC until it fails and just finish off what games I have left, then going forward just buy the odd game on console. At least consoles prices remain pretty stable and don't fluctuate as rapidly as PC components.

I’m really close to ditching AMD(FreeSync) now and biting the bullet and going Nvidia, can’t even remember my last Nvidia card, just too little too late for a premium price from AMD

There is brand loyalty and being bought into FreeSync but it’s just a bit of a joke.

I’m also considering ditching PC gaming and just getting the new Xbox, the price premium now for PC gaming just isn’t worth it, not for the casual/occasional gamer anyway.

Nvidia have a long history of resting on their laurels. All of Nvidia's best products have followed a strong showing from their competitors.

Unless the AIB partners can work miracles with Vega and somehow drastically improve performance and power consumption (not gonna happen) then Nvidia will likely not bother producing Votla cards until their Pascal cards have hit saturation point and sales have dried up.
not quite. Pascal came after more AMD mediocrity.

Last edited:
Already sort of going down that road myself. Not updating my PC now as prices for most components just keep going up to a point that it's getting ludicrous. Ram prices are set to see another steep rise soon, on top of already over inflated prices, this will also affect SSD's, GPU's, basically anything that uses memory chips. Trying to budget for a PC build/upgrade is a nightmare as GPU prices a lone for example are changing day by day on here!

I'll just keep my PC until it fails and just finish off what games I have left, then going forward just buy the odd game on console. At least consoles prices remain pretty stable and don't fluctuate as rapidly as PC components.
So do the price of the console games though! That's the main reason I love PC gaming and why I'm building my kids a gaming PC rather than a new console. I have over 400 PC games, if I had a console that number would be closer to 20. £40-50 every time for a new game? And even when they do drop a bit it still around £25 - no thanks. I suppose it depends how much time you spend gaming but I definitely get the extra cost of the PC components back via the price of games although I rarely spend more than £10 on a game, I usually wait for the game to be out for a few months or pick them up in sales. I will treat myself to maybe 4-5 brand new games a year, I usually pre-order these for around £27 from CDKeys. Whilst I do play the occasional PC game with an Xbox controller, I don't think I could go back to playing to all games with one again, nor could I go back to sitting far back from a big TV either.

So do the price of the console games though! That's the main reason I love PC gaming and why I'm building my kids a gaming PC rather than a new console. I have over 400 PC games, if I had a console that number would be closer to 20. £40-50 every time for a new game? And even when they do drop a bit it still around £25 - no thanks. I suppose it depends how much time you spend gaming but I definitely get the extra cost of the PC components back via the price of games although I rarely spend more than £10 on a game, I usually wait for the game to be out for a few months or pick them up in sales. I will treat myself to maybe 4-5 brand new games a year, I usually pre-order these for around £27 from CDKeys. Whilst I do play the occasional PC game with an Xbox controller, I don't think I could go back to playing to all games with one again, nor could I go back to sitting far back from a big TV either.

big plus side to the consoles is being able to sell your games. i was buying the games and completing them and selling them on at a few pounds to a fiver loss unlike pc gaming where we are just getting shafted royally from all angles of cost. prices in the pc market are just taking the michael now. i do prefer my pc to console but if the madness keeps up then i will deffo jump at some point am no mug.

+1 took the words right out of my mouth. However if you look at Gsync/Freesync these negate the needs for the most expensive GPUs. I'm still rocking a 970 and happily play all the latest games at 1440p with just a bit of the eye candy turned down, it still looks better than console games. My PC spec cost around £600 (thanks to OCUK with a cracking mobo + cpu deal) and the games are always cheaper than console so if you look at it that way it is kind of cheaper to game on PC in the long run.

Back to Vega though, with the rumours of a 1070Ti I feel sorry for AMD in the GPU market.

I suppose it depends on how many games you purchase, I don't have anywhere near 400 games for the PC, I think I've accumulated about 150 over 15 years or so. I generally buy one and finish it before moving onto the next.

With console games I'll buy one, complete it and trade it in against another or sell it, which pretty much makes the games around the same price as a PC game, as you can't trade PC games like console games. So for me, consoles offer far better value for money over a gaming PC, especially in todays economy.

I won't be able to totally get rid of the PC just yet though unfortunately, as a lot of the games I like are PC only (4X, grand strat, RTS etc).

I suppose it depends on how many games you purchase, I don't have anywhere near 400 games for the PC, I think I've accumulated about 150 over 15 years or so. I generally buy one and finish it before moving onto the next.

With console games I'll buy one, complete it and trade it in against another or sell it, which pretty much makes the games around the same price as a PC game, as you can't trade PC games like console games. So for me, consoles offer far better value for money over a gaming PC, especially in todays economy.

I won't be able to totally get rid of the PC just yet though unfortunately, as a lot of the games I like are PC only (4X, grand strat, RTS etc).
Yeah it's a fair point about being able to sell games on. Do we think that those days are numbered though given that console games are increasingly being sold as downloads too?

We already know that isn't gonna happen as we've seen the Vega 64 Strix reviewed and we were told that it's the final consumers version.

AMD Preparing To Launch 13 Vega-11 Based Graphics Cards, GPU Passes Certification

http://wccftech.com/amd-preparing-l...raphics-cards-gpu-passes-final-certification/

I don't see the point in replacing Polaris at this time, They say Vega 11's going to go up against the 1060 yet the 580's got that covered, Plus Vega 11's likely too use more power than Polaris if Big Vega's anything to go by. I hope it's not a case of the Polaris replacement giving 5 to 10 percent more performance for an additional 30 to 40 percent power draw.

Back
Top Bottom