• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

VEGA IS FINALLY HERE, ITS IN STOCK ALONG WITH SOME EPIC BUNDLES & FREESYNC DEALS!!

Caporegime
Depends what applications they run, you would have to be very stupid to want to spend more money to get lower performance just for fanboy points.
Who said anything about lower [performance?

For starters, most compute related software only runs on CUDA, so an AMD GPU is just a paperweight.

Caporegime
vulkan is the future dx12 isnt, valve have said that they are backing it from now on to get around the windows monopoly its why most devs are taking it on board, with the consoles being build by amd and xbox pushing dx12 to get the most out of the hardware its only a matter of time before it becomes the standard, games being made right now will be dx12 or vulkan and the likes of unreal getting support for creators we arent talking very long, when i buy a card i want it to last for a few years anyway i just feel that vega has the upper hand in that front @ msrp

Most devs ae sticking to DX11 actually.

Associate
Most devs ae sticking to DX11 actually.

epic have already said that vulkan will become their default api, valve said in a statement not so long ago that to counter microsoft store and their w10/dx12 lock out they are pushing hard on devs to support vulkan, its why most games now are porting and a lot of games in dev now will support it, siggraph had loads of of devs adopting the new api from the live streams

i do some work with unreal and a lot of devs were pushing epic for the support of vulkan its why they did it, i think your statement was true a good while ago but not anymore

Associate
Handy if you're brave enough.

A member of Chiphell forums has finally tested whether RX Vega 56 can be unlocked into full-fat RX Vega 64. Well, it can’t (at least according to GPU-Z), but this mod brings some interesting results.

RX Vega 56 with 64 BIOS is 2% slower than RX Vega 64
Although it was expected, the sample used by KDtree did not unlock to full 4096-core Vega. This means that flashing 64 BIOS into 56 will not give you any extra boost thanks to more cores. However, the BIOS will change clock speeds which apparently have a much greater effect on the performance.

The RX Vega 64 BIOS has 1545 MHz boost clock and 945 MHz HBM2 clock. The RX Vega 56 is slower with boost clock at 1471 MHz and memory clock at 800 MHz. The BIOS mod gives you the same clocks on your 56, which practically improves performance.

By increasing the frequency by 75 MHz the modder noticed that the card was only 2% slower than reference RX Vega 64.

Furthermore, it was proven that overclocked RX Vega 56 at 1650 MHz (core) 2200 MHz (memory) actually surpasses 64 at default clocks.

If those results are correct then RX Vega 56 may become even more popular thanks to this simple mod. Of course, such modifications will void your warranty, but since the RX Vega series have two BIOSes, this mod is almost fool-proof.

Associate
Found this interesting:

ZiInpcE.png

So the point of it on RX vega is? I mean they make a point about saying RX vega has it, then this seems to suggest it does bugger all for gaming. :confused:
Loadsa (The Prophet of Doom) has been saying that for ages :p

It's actually very disappointing from the gaming point of view :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Who said anything about lower [performance?
You said anyone interested in application performance would just buy a Geforce instead, I was merely pointing out one of the reasons Vega are selling so well is because there are a lot of applications where AMD perform better than Nvidia and because it's priced against the 1080 when it performs on average like a 1080ti.

Soldato
Dont give me that the people here are looking for gaming.
If people here only cared about gaming then nobody here would own a Titan (or multiple).

Stop lying to justify your poor buying decision.
Lol, I don't need to justify anything, I paid 1080 money for a card that provided a nice boost over my 980ti, matches/beats the 1080 in gaming, destroys the 1080 in compute, and supports the more common adaptive sync standard. It was a great buying decision and the only sane one available at the time.

It is funny seeing people trying to desperately make the new AMD cards out to be terrible, it must infuriate them that they are selling so well XD

Soldato
It is funny seeing people trying to desperately make the new AMD cards out to be terrible, it must infuriate them that they are selling so well XD

They aren't selling that well and the whole release has been a **** show. Also to say it matches/beats a 1080 is a lie. There isn't really much credibility AMD can take away from this, they need to go and ferment this fine wine we now expect.

Back
Top Bottom