Vega's *Heavyweight* display and computer; edition 2012

I've got the fans all wired up and mounted. I had to switch from an under-mount setup that I had before as it put the fan's electric motor too close to the electron guns and it introduced a very faint wobble to the picture. So now they are mounted a good 2.5 inches further and the picture is crystal clear.

SANY0004-10.jpg

Testing the setup with the Skyrim AFK camera spin that is very good for testing for motion problems (blur/ghosting/stuttering etc).

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=FScNdwuIm64&feature=youtu.be&vq=hd720

The motion, clarity and picture quality is far higher than my previous LCD setups. This is going to make for epic gaming! At 4320x2304 @ 80Hz, it has become very apparent that I need some upgraded video cards. Especially trying to keep a minimum of 80 FPS under all circumstances pushing 10-megapixel's. Every single game I ran required more than 2GB of memory, so it looks like I will have to hold off on the vanilla 2GB GTX 680's and get 4GB FTX 680's for 4-way SLI. Almost positive I will be pairing a 3770K up with Gigabyte's Sniper 3 Z77 motherboard that has confirmed 4-way SLI support.

Tomorrow the Fresnel lens frame build begins.

During Fresnel lens fitting I found that my estimations were off a bit. With the magnification I want and seem-less borders, I need to get the monitors over an inch closer to each other. This build just got a lot more difficult! I've already removed the FW900's swivel mounts but it looks like I will have to remove the entire base supporting structure. Whether I have to remove the picture tube from the chassis to accomplish that is still up in the air.

Par for the course. Usually the difficult projects are the only ones worth doing in the first place!

My initial testing results in BF3 are phenomenal.

Start with this:

SANY0017-1.jpg

And about 13 hours of work end up with this:

SANY0006-9.jpg

Complete lower platform on all FW900's removed, internal wires re-routed and modified, brackets cut, OSD control modules and power switches relocated and mounted on the top. It is impossible to get the FW900's any closer, the metal CRT casings are physically touching one another.

SANY0001-15.jpg

I went from a 4.4 inch gap between each lit image to a 2.75 inch gap. That is a smaller gap than some multi-LCD setups! Now I think I can finally start working on the Fresnel mounts. :eek:

SANY0005-11.jpg

View the video in 720P. Resolution 4320x2304, 80Hz of CRT smoothness. Initial placement testing of the lenses (not final position and bracketing). If you sit just right in your normal viewing position, both bezel gaps can get as low as 1-2mm in width. Now if you do move your head a lot the gaps will change a bit.

Side benefits are a larger image than three displays without the lenses. Also a slight "depth" effect is added to the image which I quite like. With the lenses magnification and sitting at the designed eye-point, the display setup is around 50 inches running at 10-megapixel and 80Hz. It is hard for a camera to capture some of what I am describing accurately. Camera hand is also not too steady!

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=CBj3RfMGOV0&feature=youtu.be&vq=hd720

OK.. you have to strap the camera to your head and then film you playing... spinning it around just ain't cutting it buddy! lol ;-)

(Yes, I'm completely missing out the "oh my ****** gosh.. would you look at that!" part)

EPIC!:cool:

Gaming Vid please.;)

I can see the added "depth" effect. It must be amazing in person!

Could you run 3D on this setup? Could be very immersive! 80Hz on CRTs sounds like it could work.:confused:

EPIC!:cool:

Gaming Vid please.;)

I can see the added "depth" effect. It must be amazing in person!

Could you run 3D on this setup? Could be very immersive! 80Hz on CRTs sounds like it could work.:confused:

Actually, people do run 3D on the FW900 if you lower the resolution a tad and set 100Hz. I personally wouldn't want to do that as I don't care for 3D much.

Absolute madness but I love it! Vega what do you do for a living if you don't mind me asking? I've also seen your YouTube channel, why don't you post some build log videos?

Back
Top Bottom