Victorian renovation build log

Associate
OP
I’m not completely sure but I imagine the ply isn’t fixed properly and inappropriate adhesive was used, also the tiles are crappy cheap ceramic.

It will be ripped up, connections for the en-suite in the bedroom nextdoor made, and nice marble tiles in the same colour and pattern laid.

Wife says this has to be the last thing to be done, need another bedroom finished as just found out another baby on the way!

Associate
OP
I did the downstairs bathroom about a year later, I had more time and more money but the bathroom had mushrooms growing out of the floor and tiles falling off the walls

5432936BBC0E48339AFD.jpeg

partly stripped

I the doorway was central and the window was central opposite so no corner to put a shower in. Really wanted a downstairs shower for after gardening/DIY so I had the door moved

7CE580610F1B48DBA1DF.jpeg
ww

Associate
OP
adding 20m2 of polished marble should do the trick
external wall insulated with 50mm PIR, and loft roll in the floor

3927ADE28DE440B792C1.jpeg

52587E8DE5F24C41B636.jpeg

I was between marble and slate, its floor to ceiling too which is about 3 metres.
I wanted it to be a bit cave like, I have since switched to lower K lighting which suits it much better.
Still not sure if I should have gone for a smarter sink and unit or not, the one I have is a bit rustic.

Associate
OP
I didn't a very enclosed shower as the room isn't the biggest, so I experimented with some glass blocks, its a bit Marmite but I like it and stops the splashes while keeping an open feel and not cramping the room.

The lip to the shower tray is less than 10mm

31E4C24E45324280AE31.jpeg

Associate
OP
3B66FBB3C16A43C19443.jpeg

This is what my part P electricians work!

After he wired my loft I had a light down stairs that wouldn't go off, he wouldn't answer my calls so I had to take it up on myself to problem solve.

I found the pic, above. After a lot of time and head scratching I realised he had wired the smoke alarms into the com wire for a 3-way landing light circuit.

This short circuited the light threough the smoke alarm makes it a fire hazard! Forget broken choc-blocks and bare earths, this guy is out to burn my house down!

Associate
Great work so far keep them pics coming, that is a lucky escape with the electrics, I seriously don't trust anyone but myself , I had boiler upgrade back in the day, cut a long story short they half cut into a gas pipe getting the boards up, they kindly left it under my chipboard flooring for me to see a few years down the line. The floor could have weakened the pipe as it was touching the underside of the chipboard oooh well DIY is the only way. Lol

Associate
OP
02A150089D284291BA04.jpeg

F35514A182D9497B891F.jpeg

This is the next stage.
The last single glazed window and the entry for a break in last year.

Could not make my mine up if I was to go for french door or a giant door.

The window is 110cm x 200cm with the opening being 110cm x 230cm then opened up

Associate
OP
This looks like a normal sized door but I can only just reach the top of the frame if I jump!

24mm double glazed unit with a laminated external pane, 3 point locks in a hard wood frame. And they used the original sandstone lintel and the step out.

b2657237725698E49B18BC0.jpg

slightly controversial design decision as not exactly traditional but this renovation is all about sympathetic restoration and modernisation

Soldato
adding 20m2 of polished marble should do the trick
external wall insulated with 50mm PIR, and loft roll in the floor

I was between marble and slate, its floor to ceiling too which is about 3 metres.
I wanted it to be a bit cave like, I have since switched to lower K lighting which suits it much better.
Still not sure if I should have gone for a smarter sink and unit or not, the one I have is a bit rustic.

Nice job.

I see you tiled the walls first. I'm currently doing my own bathroom and I'm at the point now where I need to tile the walls and install the floor. But I am struggling to get a concensus on if I should do the walls or the floor first. The floor isnt 100% level.

Are you able to give your 2 pence on this situation? Thanks! :)

Associate
OP
I only tiles the kitchen so no idea the reasoning on order in the bathrooms.
The attic was floor first and the floor got very dirty when tiling the walls but you can't tell what was done first in either.
just remember to leave the appropriate expansion can and used silcone the same colour as the grout for that join as it will always crack otherwise

Associate
OP
Very busy with work but used a piece of reclaimed timbre to make a bath plank with wine glass holders

wife not particularly impressed as she's pregnant again and can't drink!! :o

c851.jpeg

Soldato
That looks really good, congrats on the pregnancy :D why is it they always get pregnant when your working on the house?

My wife managed to slip down the stairs whilst steaming wallpaper from the walls :eek: 5 months pregnant at the time!

Associate
OP
as the weather is getting better I had the drive taken up and new drains put in the garage mouth. Plan is to eventually have a roller door mounted behind the opening.

4d52.jpeg

Also always hated the concrete steps leading up to the house, theres 2 sets of them , 12 in total, all 180cm wide. Bit the bullet and decided to cap them in sandstone.

8263.jpeg

b24.jpeg

33f5.jpeg

and then went for block paving to replace the large concrete slabs

5da6.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom