Victorian renovation build log

Associate
OP
Materials have gone up but thankfully the joiners are the same price.
I had budgeted for the bedroom to first fix, but not including the bathroom fitting/furniture/tiling, and before we started on my sons room too.

No work yesterday but today the whole front has studded out

C1686-E4-C-5-CA0-4-DC6-BDF1-301-E7-D3-C4006.jpg

Soldato
Materials have gone up but thankfully the joiners are the same price.
I had budgeted for the bedroom to first fix, but not including the bathroom fitting/furniture/tiling, and before we started on my sons room too.

No work yesterday but today the whole front has studded out

C1686-E4-C-5-CA0-4-DC6-BDF1-301-E7-D3-C4006.jpg
I’ll be interested to see how you take care of the window surrounds, are you looking to do anything decorative or just square up with the plastering?

Associate
OP
I’ll be interested to see how you take care of the window surrounds, are you looking to do anything decorative or just square up with the plastering?

If you compare to previous photos you'll see the original architrave and sills have been taken off. They will be attached back with some wood spacers so will be deeper but retain originality

Nice project! Just read the lot in one go! Keep up the good work

This is now 100% being done by a couple of joiners that first work in the extension years ago. Work and family life is too busy these days.

did you do these renovations before living there?

We are still living there, extra stress with 2 toddlers, but I could justify moving out, thankfully its a big house with plenty of space to hide. The dust is very bad though, but only really if the ceiling are disturbed.

Soldato
If you compare to previous photos you'll see the original architrave and sills have been taken off. They will be attached back with some wood spacers so will be deeper but retain originality

This is now 100% being done by a couple of joiners that first work in the extension years ago. Work and family life is too busy these days.

We are still living there, extra stress with 2 toddlers, but I could justify moving out, thankfully its a big house with plenty of space to hide. The dust is very bad though, but only really if the ceiling are disturbed.
damm thats crazy.

Do ualso have desktop computers etc lyring around? That would instantly kill my desktop with dusty rooms lol

I also work from home so this could be a huge huge challenge if i had to do such a project while living there

Associate
OP
The dust is bad, but hopefully will feel worth it 6 months from now

C97-B2192-F310-406-C-AC20-893-DDC127-AE5.jpg

50mm PIR in the stud. The section below the window got an extra vertical and some osb to hang a heavy radiator on.

9438-E8-A2-36-AF-497-E-BF37-5871439-C9-CEF.jpg

And ready for plaster, we’ll nearly, the wood chip needs stripping off the ceiling.

Turned out I was 1 muteboard short and I wasn't prepared to pay £150 for a single one delivered so made my own using 2 different car sound insulation mats sandwiched inbetween 2x 12.5mm boards all held together with contact adhesive!
F4-C29286-39-BD-44-F1-A16-B-84-F6-D2-C8440-D.jpg

Master bedroom has one more days work before it’s also ready for plaster.
The original window architraves didn’t all survive so I’m going to have to come up with a plan to replace them.

En-suite will now go on the waiting list for the bathroom fitter, but no rush.
The soil, shower, sink waste and extractor vent have all been cored in preparation.

Associate
OP
How it getting on? Looks good!

Is the soundboard onto neighbours walls? Is the sound transfer bad?

There’s been a brief hiatus which allowed me to move some sockets and fill the voids under the floor boards with a combination of sound insulation and loft roll. Also paid someone £100 to strip the ceiling of the woodchip!

All go this bank holiday though, plasterers came this morning at 8:30!

The soundboard is on the party wall, it’s a 2 brick thick solid wall but with poor mortar and what seems to be shared joist holes. You can hear loud TV and loud conversation.

Associate
OP
My eldest’s room is all plastered.
Wide angle and high window makes it look small but it’s 4.9x3.8m with high ceilings.

E7-D30258-EBB5-4475-A199-811-A46-E740-B1.jpg

Plan is some nice big skirting, picture rail and some reproduction cornice.

Associate
OP
Master bedroom plastered and mostly dry

C1221-BC2-AB23-48-AE-9002-0-F84450-F1-EDF.jpg

0-E7-ED35-F-1188-4614-9-CD3-BBA9326-B07-C5.jpg

Need to crack on a find someone to make me some nice built in wardrobes.

I’m doing a lot of the finishing joinery myself but have been delayed by deliveries of scrap wood

E6-E38-A8-E-6999-4687-9-AA4-A7-A03-BB0-DE5-E.jpg

Once I’ve done the skirting behind the radiators the plumber will do the radiators and the first fix in the en-suite

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
I hope you've got deep pockets for custom wardrobes :D I gave up with the ridiculous prices and found some Ikea Pax hack websites and dressed them up nicely for a fraction of the cost.

Associate
OP
Slow progress due to a nice long holiday and work being busy.

Plumber booked in so did some adhoc decorating before rads fitted

E73-ABDF0-64-B7-4051-9726-3814-C5-B3-D05-F.jpg

And radiators on
ACC5-A283-C38-F-4-BC9-8-B19-64-C537-C75-DD3.jpg

Associate
OP
I tried to save the original window arcitrave, as I had done elsewhere in the house, but it was in poor condition and lot split getting it off.
So I’m redoing it in the same style using the arcitrave I have elsewhere in the house.
I made new window sills from some old hardwood shelves I kept in the garage for 8 years, just in case

A9320347-334-D-4872-A197-D592-F9247-A9-F.jpg

2-C09-FAB0-8533-45-EE-865-A-2-DE2-E9-AE62-F9.jpg

3300-F2-F6-3-E06-4-A0-E-99-FF-586-EAE514-D1-F.jpg

The original window arcitrave here went to the floor with an inset radiator, so I’ve kept that style. The sill is a new addition.

Soldato
Looks good. Are you feeling the rooms a bit cooler with insulation (or is lack of curtains negating that? I know I want my curtains back in!)

Also are they single glazed? Is the loss of heat through them not going to outweigh the benefits of pir insulating the walls?

Soldato
@eviled for the coving for your sons room I would recommend this place:

Did my lounge in there stuff, it’s surprisingly easy to fit. I used plastic Orac stuff for my picture rail. I’d never use the plastic stuff again, sure it’s lighter and easier to handle, but it doesn’t take paint very well. Filling imperfections is more difficult etc.

See pic below:

View attachment bWbVVvr.jpg

Associate
OP
@Buffman rooms are pretty hot with all the solar gain and no curtains!
It’s slimline double glazed sashes in the original frames all draught proofed
Getting measured for shutters on Monday that should help regulate the temperature

@Mason- wow that looks great. How much flex does the plaster coving have?
My ceiling has a gentle bow towards the middle

Soldato
@Buffman rooms are pretty hot with all the solar gain and no curtains!
It’s slimline double glazed sashes in the original frames all draught proofed
Getting measured for shutters on Monday that should help regulate the temperature

@Mason- wow that looks great. How much flex does the plaster coving have?
My ceiling has a gentle bow towards the middle
Yeah it doesn't massively, a little. Depends how dramatic the bow is I suppose. The good thing about it being plaster though is you can fill, sand and smooth it all easily.
There were gaps all along where the tops meet the ceiling (not massive), and also on where it meets the walls. I just filled it using the coving adhesive at the time, then ran a wet ish brush over the gaps to smooth it.

It's a difficult decision, I had it with my skirting boards in the hallway which have wavy walls. You can put the skirting boards on straight, and then fill in the wavy gaps and the straightness of the skirting boards makes your walls look even more wavy. Or you can screw the boards flush with the wall and then your skirting boards look wavy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom