Victorian renovation build log

Soldato
Its a really nice space you have created there.

Ive never had kitchen units made like that before, painting aside, is there any other downsides compared to mass produced units? or are they winners hands down?

Associate
OP
Easier yes

Cheaper no - worked out the same price as the solid wood door DIY kitchen

They are solid wood (except the moisture proof MDF panel to stop warping) the feel of them is not reproducible in a off the shelf kichen
They weigh an absolute ton and filled an entire 7m van!

They are also made to measure and my design, I wanted an in frame look

Painting is being done with farrow and ball egg shell
- 1x coat of undercoat
- 2x coat of topcoat

Better half chose the colours - Hague Blue and Pavillion Grey

That is the utility run with faux cupboards for washer + dryer
The sink I found in the garden and is probably the original from 1869!

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking great so far! Loving the special steels! It's great that because of the extra headroom of the victorian terrace that you can have the same extension roof pitch on the inside.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Seems like there is quite a big gap under the cupboard to the left of the sink area.

Good choice of colour, I have shaker style from DIY Kitchens in the same colour.

Associate
OP
Gap looks worse from that angle, small gap is needed as that's the dishwasher door and when open it goes behind he plinth a little

Worktops arrive today!

Associate
OP
well that was a nightmare!!!

granite fitters came around and fitted most of the granite.

refused to do the last bit as the wall wasn't battened - they implied that would do it

but the real kick in the teeth was they unplumbed both sets of kitchen taps, unplumbed the washing machine, unplumbed the dishwasher and actually removed by double belfast sink! They left it on the floor and left the heavy double waste resting on the dishwasher water feed causing it to leak!!!!

I got hope from work to find them leaving... their response was "we aren't plumbers"

so I have no running water in the kitchen, no dishwasher, no washing machine and an expensive double sink left on my expensive floor!

absolutely fuming!
and now have to sort it out at my expense :(:(:(

What would you guys do???

I've sent an angry email to them and they tried to call but I actually work and take pride in my job so couldn't answer/ring back

Soldato
well that was a nightmare!!!

granite fitters came around and fitted most of the granite.

refused to do the last bit as the wall wasn't battened - they implied that would do it

but the real kick in the teeth was they unplumbed both sets of kitchen taps, unplumbed the washing machine, unplumbed the dishwasher and actually removed by double belfast sink! They left it on the floor and left the heavy double waste resting on the dishwasher water feed causing it to leak!!!!

I got hope from work to find them leaving... their response was "we aren't plumbers"

so I have no running water in the kitchen, no dishwasher, no washing machine and an expensive double sink left on my expensive floor!

absolutely fuming!
and now have to sort it out at my expense :(:(:(

What would you guys do???

I've sent an angry email to them and they tried to call but I actually work and take pride in my job so couldn't answer/ring back

I'd be kicking up the biggest stink of my life if I were you.

If they arent plumbers why did they unplumb taps, washing machine, dishwasher and sink?!

Associate
OP
I've paid in full, its a small company with a boss and office workers

at no point was I made aware they would take a full functioning (albeit a worktop-less one!) and leave it how it was left

I'm still fuming :mad: I would have got the worktop delayed if I'd know I'd be in this state

Spent the past 2 evenings re-installing my sink plumbing and taps, got stuck and need a trip to screwfix tomorrow though

Man of Honour
I can understand them having to take the taps off, but seems odd to have taken the sink and white goods out - they really should have specified the starting state they wanted the kitchen to be in before coming over

Back
Top Bottom